Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Live8 ticket success

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2005, 12:29 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Live8 ticket success

If you got the text message and now have tickets on the way but couldn't go now, what would you do?

F
Old 15 June 2005, 12:35 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have sold them on e-bay, but misery guts geldof has put a stop to all that. See if a mate wanted them I guess
Old 15 June 2005, 12:36 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Put them on eBay for big profit.....

....oh hang on that's not allowed now

Think I need to set up www.live8bay.co.uk for those disgruntled ebayers who wanted to sell their tickets, I'll take a small percentage of the final selling price
Old 15 June 2005, 12:40 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Give them to someone. Or sell for the price of a pint. Or sell and give the proceeds to charity.
Old 15 June 2005, 12:46 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...539917505&rd=1

At this auction, maybe a p1ssed off seller of some Live 8 tickets
Old 15 June 2005, 12:54 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Mind you - people are now listing the tickets as "live eight" nice
Old 15 June 2005, 12:54 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Classic - Bet he gets some grief

Trending Topics

Old 15 June 2005, 01:20 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Why don't you just put them up for sale in the for sale section here? Give it a few days and then give to the highest bidder (and make sure they pay you through Paypal within a day or two so the sanctimonious on here don't fool you )

Geezer
Old 15 June 2005, 01:31 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I would either sell them and donate the monies to comic relief, or give them to a friend. Selling these tickets for profits is wrong.
Old 15 June 2005, 01:33 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

I will be listing the email address 'shutupgeldof@hotmail.co.uk' later on........

should get a few pence for that even if i dont- it was free.

this is a good one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...590220303&rd=1

but this one is better... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...312036110&rd=1

Last edited by Freak; 15 June 2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 15 June 2005, 01:36 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

could always follow in the footsteps of this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...406298650&rd=1
Old 15 June 2005, 01:37 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Real ones still there though....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW
Old 15 June 2005, 01:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
I would either sell them and donate the monies to comic relief, or give them to a friend. Selling these tickets for profits is wrong.

why???

is it wrong to pay news crews that film starving kids? is it wrong to pay the police the overtime to cover the event?

i would sell them and get as much money as you can from some mug that thinks seeing Bono for £1000 will stop an African having more kids than they can afford.
Old 15 June 2005, 01:41 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
why???

is it wrong to pay news crews that film starving kids? is it wrong to pay the police the overtime to cover the event?

i would sell them and get as much money as you can from some mug that thinks seeing Bono for £1000 will stop an African having more kids than they can afford.
i agree with you Tiggs, throwing more and more money at the problem will NOT solve it. A fundamental change to their lifestyle and education is the only way and thats just not going to happen
Old 15 June 2005, 01:54 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

The gig is to bring people together and make them aware what exactly is happening in these places. People making money off the back of poverty and illness is sick - because thats basically what it comes down to, IMO.
Old 15 June 2005, 01:59 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The gig is to bring people together and make them aware what exactly is happening in these places. People making money off the back of poverty and illness is sick - because thats basically what it comes down to, IMO.
Mmm - if the bands at the concerts were all writing and performing new songs about poverty at the gig, with video footage of the starving behind them on statge, I'd almost go along with you.

As it stands it's an ego trip for BG and little else.
Old 15 June 2005, 02:00 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

eClaire, have you never profited from someone else's misery? I find that hard to believe. Just to put things in the rawest sense.

F
Old 15 June 2005, 02:00 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Agree 100% with olly

I seem to recall that the whole point was to wipe out the debt, so that these places could start to make money for themselves rather than paying off debt
Old 15 June 2005, 02:02 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Maybe they aren't. But the fact is that it is a charity gig in aid of poverty and shouldnt be lining some greasy git's pocket. full stop.
Old 15 June 2005, 02:03 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Maybe they aren't. But the fact is that it is a charity gig in aid of poverty and shouldnt be lining some greasy git's pocket. full stop.
Its lining geldofs pocket...hes a greasy git.............
Old 15 June 2005, 02:04 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Thats all well and fine, but nothings improved since the last Live Aid, and nothing will improve just because a bunch of middle class people go stand about and listen to millionaire musicians preach about how terrible third world debt is.

The fact is this, world debt should not be written off any more than national debt should. These countries are run by massivley rich dictators who have gotten fat off idiot governements donating money to them to help their starving. The money gets nowhere near the people who need it, those limo's, mansions, and ten wives dont come cheap, and no third world dictator worth his salt is going to let the money get to the masses.

Countries that dare to succeed, and become "rich", have been giving money to Africa for decades, and the situation is worse now than prior to a single penny being donated. Starvation is up, death from disease is up, corruption is up, so tell me, what is a bunch of people singing songs in a field going to do?

Im sure you have the best intentions, but any money you've ever given has gone into the latest dictators pocket, and if that gives you and the millionaire performers some sort of self satisfaction, then great, just dont expect the rest of us to take this nonesense so seriously, I lived in Africa for 23 years, and saw things with my own eyes, rather than through the eyes of some up his @rse idialistic"musician".
Old 15 June 2005, 02:06 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

People making money off the back of poverty and illness is sick - because thats basically what it comes down to, IMO.
Well **** em all.....

I'm busy printing my new range of G8 SUMMIT SUCKS T SHIRTS to get ready to sell to all the crusties with their dogs on bits of string when they visit Edinburgh .... My wife is busy at home currently working on a new improved recipe for Anti G8 Crustie Veg Burgers that we're going to sell to the ******* too

We'll make a million and **** off to the South of France ....

Ooooooooh the irony

PS On a more serious note, I'm 100% with SideShowBob
Old 15 June 2005, 02:07 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

dont forget that box of plain pikey wristbands in the garage ready to have 'live8' stamped on them
Old 15 June 2005, 02:07 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
eClaire, have you never profited from someone else's misery? I find that hard to believe. Just to put things in the rawest sense.

F
Not to my knowledge. I'm not perfect, but I wouldn't do it knowingly. For example, I wouldn't sell live8 tickets to make profit.
Old 15 June 2005, 02:11 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Not to my knowledge.
Ever drank Tea picked in Sri-Lanka ?

Ever bought Esso Petrol ?

Ever drank Nescafe coffee ?

The list is endless, but in all fairness, it's hard to avoid giving money to some establishment that is either directly or indirectly involved in supporting terrorism or some kind of slave labour.
Old 15 June 2005, 02:15 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

LOL SiPie.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I personally feel what these people are doing is immoral. The gig is to raise awareness, and who better to do that than celebrities. If everyone comes together and tries to make a difference then it might just happen. If we don't try it will never happen, kind of like the lottery; if you don't play you don't win!

The debt will be erased so people can start earning money and rebuild their country's economy. That's what this is all about, economic development.
Old 15 June 2005, 02:15 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It isn't financially in aid of anything. Debt is being wiped out already and has been for years. The tin pot regimes in Africa then take out new loans to build their palaces, fund their private jets and finance their wars. It is going take direct action at government level to make a change that will actually filter down to the people who are starving. A few aging rock stars singing in hyde park isn't going to make a jot of difference.

All this has done is add to the publicity, which BG supposedly wants, and yet is missing an opportnity by not playing video of people dying behind the performers. In fact, axe the singing and just play the video if you want to show people what it's like - oh but then nobody would go would they?
Old 15 June 2005, 02:16 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Make then aware of what is happening? I thought that it would be full of people who want to see high profile musicians for nowt, I wasn't aware it was going to be a lecture on the poverty and corruption prevalent in Africa or a brainstorming session for ideas on how to solve it.

Most of the people going don't give two hoots about Africa, and I bet not many of the musicians would lose sleep over it either, but they get good publicity from it.

Doctors are paid very handsomely, and they deal in nothing but sickness and death. OK, they are trying to cure you, but you can bet that there wouldn't be as many of them if the rewards weren't so great, does that make them bad?

Geezer
Old 15 June 2005, 02:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The debt will be erased so people can start earning money and rebuild their country's economy. That's what this is all about, economic development.
In an ideal world that would happen. Africa is far from ideal, go and visit sometime. In the real world those in power will get richer and rack up more debt and start wars with the other countries to get their hands on their money and they people you are trying to help will be even worse off.
Old 15 June 2005, 02:20 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
Ever drank Tea picked in Sri-Lanka ?

Ever bought Esso Petrol ?

Ever drank Nescafe coffee ?

The list is endless, but in all fairness, it's hard to avoid giving money to some establishment that is either directly or indirectly involved in supporting terrorism or some kind of slave labour.
I drink herbal tea Lady grey. Although I used to drink normal tea, I have no idea where it is picked. I don't drink coffee. I don't buy the petrol, he does. etc.

This isn't about those establishments. This is about members of the british public with NO CONSIENCE(sp) KNOWINGLY selling these free tickets.

Quick Reply: Live8 ticket success