Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Berlin visit

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2005, 11:19 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Berlin visit

Im going to Berlin mid next week and Im hoping that some of you have visited this city and can provide me with some info on eating out, pubs, clubs, grils must see's etc!

Im staying a couple of nights, do you have any hotel recomendations as im going to book it in the next few days.

TIA

Scott
Old 10 June 2005, 11:21 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I've been mate, was years ago so the only thing I can remember is that it was a qualty place!

Sorry I can't help
Old 10 June 2005, 11:26 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CooperS
I've been mate, was years ago so the only thing I can remember is that it was a qualty place!

Sorry I can't help
HA HA!

Must have been good if you cant remember it!

Scott
Old 10 June 2005, 11:50 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I was an 18 year old on exchange in a hostel full of Norwegian's, hence my memories of a fox called Marianne, everything else took a back seat....
Old 11 June 2005, 07:00 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Lots to do and try to get to the Irish bar in the shopping centre by the Blau Kirche. They keep an outstanding drop of Guinness
Old 11 June 2005, 11:15 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Leslie that's a very British thing to do - go to Germany for an Irish pub!!! Why not go directly to Spain for a proper English pub

I took a gang for a stag to Berlin recently and we had a great time - despite the odd 'achtung achtung Spitfire Spitfire 'gags' in the streets whilst pointing up and sniggering like schoolboys.

As we went to the Beer Festival there I dont remember much, but there are some nice bars not too far from the Brandenburg gate [take a right by the Bugatti Veyron in the showroom - stunning]. People were nice and beer was fab - none of that claustrophobic 'closed-in' London feeling either. You'll like it

D
Old 11 June 2005, 11:58 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

I went once and enjoyed it, shopping was good - can't remember the name of the shopping centre but if anyone has been there they'll know what I mean - the most amazing glass/mirror combo Ive ever seen

A real nice place.

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2005, 10:18 AM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The former Eastern side has most of the cultural stuff like museums. It also has the TV tower (Fernsehturm) which is HUGE and well worth a visit to the top.

On the western side it's mainly shops. Kurfurstendamm is the main street. If you head for it from Zoologischer Garten (as in Zoo Station from U2) you will see the Erotic Museum . Then if you stick to the north side of Kurfurstendamm and head west you should come across a Beer-keller called Aschinger that brew their own beer. They sell a 'Meter of Beer' which is a plank with glasses of beer lined up on top. Now there's a challenge!

Also the new shopping centre at Potsdamer Platz is amazing!

I'd get a multi day pass for the U-Bahn which is as extensive as the Underground in London but you do get more nutters on it.

Last edited by DarkStar66; 12 June 2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12 June 2005, 02:05 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

scott,

if you're after touristy hotels, the you will probably find that the park inn comes out pretty cheap. It's a very nice hotel, the only issue is that it's well into the East, and quite a walk from the Oxford Street equivalant in the west.

The eastern side does have the better cultural stuff though, including eatern themed pubs and stuff. The west is fantastic, but from some perspectives it's well similar to madrid, london etc.

Checkpoint Charlie is well worth a visit, although the museum is expensive. Just down the road from there is the Gestapo building and memorial site, again well worth a look.

The Westin Grand is nice, and that's just next to the Brandenburg Gate, you will have seen that on TV, it's where wacko jacko hung his kid from the window
Old 12 June 2005, 04:36 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

On the "things to see", Checkpoint Charlie is well worth a visit - just across the junction there are a huge amount of crosses - one for each person who died trying to cross the wall. Thought provoking stuff.

The Reichstag is quite good too - quite a queue, but not a bad view from the top of the dome.

As for eating, we stayed near Adenauer Platz and found loads of places to eat around there, just off the Kurfurstendamm.
Old 13 June 2005, 11:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You are probably right Diesel, but it is a very good drop of beer and it is full of the locals anyway. Also has some good groups too.

Les