Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone in recruitment? IT Preferably

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2005, 10:08 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone in recruitment? IT Preferably

Would like someone in IT recruitment to take a look at my CV and offer any comments / advice / opinions.

David
Old 09 June 2005, 10:51 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an agent, but I recruit regularly and see a lot of CV's......

The basics are not to make it too long or to detailed. A CV has only one purpose and it's not to ghet you a job, it's to get you an interview - there's a big difference - you need to give a general overview of what you've done, but not too much detail - you just need to sound interesting enough to interview.

You would be very surprised at how little time each CV gets - I spend no more than a couple of minutes reading one - but then again we're top payers so get loads of good CV's in for most technical jobs. (Good business analysts on the other hand are proving very difficult to find....)

If you're applying direct, then do your homework and write a good 1 page letter too. If you're applying via agencies, then make it simple for them - include a skills summary with the number of years on it - that makes it easier for them to match you against any job specs that they have.

Let me know (PM) if you want me to take a look.

Al
Old 09 June 2005, 11:41 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Avoid employing unlucky people by randomly selecting 50% of CV's and throwing them away without looking at them.
Old 10 June 2005, 12:13 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Alistair's advice is very sound David. I'm not a recruiter, but I am in IT. I have used a successful formula for my CV for many years (I've just landed an extremely good job on the basis that my CV was spotted by the company concerned). I have 14 years+ experience, with more than a decade spent in IT and my CV still only runs to just over 2 pages of A4. Happy to look at your CV, or send you mine. Drop me a PM with your details.

Chris
Old 10 June 2005, 08:22 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Avoid employing unlucky people by randomly selecting 50% of CV's and throwing them away without looking at them.
Top Tip
Old 10 June 2005, 09:38 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

Chris YHM.

I know what your saying about CV's, we are just recruiting for the non senior role of what I do, and Ive been involved with interviewing, and I just cant believe that when applying for an IT role, people think we care that they stacked shelves in morrisons..

David
Old 10 June 2005, 09:47 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Saw one CV that had badly re-sized photos on it, such as a mobile phone next to his contact number, and the company logos next to his previous employers.

The images were blocky, re-sized incorrectly and filled up space on a pretty light CV.

Worse thing was that under experience, he dared to put Adobe Photoshop!!

Trending Topics

Old 10 June 2005, 04:16 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Old 10 June 2005, 04:21 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
If they were applying for a role in Graphic Design, this would be a positive thing, no?
Old 10 June 2005, 04:24 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

David,

I also do a lot of recruitment - some in IT, some not.

Golden rules:
2-3 pages of A4 max.
Make sure there are no spelling or grammar mistakes (I reject over 50% due to these)

A good technique I have seen used in the past is to set out what the key objectives of the role are and how you meet those objectives. That can be done in a covering letter or the CV.

Keep the CV and letter formal - If it's to a HR manager or recruitement consultant just because you know their first name doesn't mean you should use it.

If you want me to take a look feel free to PM it but good luck either way.
Old 10 June 2005, 04:27 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
Saw one CV that had badly re-sized photos on it, such as a mobile phone next to his contact number, and the company logos next to his previous employers.

The images were blocky, re-sized incorrectly and filled up space on a pretty light CV.

Old 10 June 2005, 04:56 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
If they were applying for a role in Graphic Design, this would be a positive thing, no?
Please read the section above that line!

Looking at the CV with blocky, out of scale pictures, it would stop him being a Graphic Designer, let alone the role he was applying for!!!

Last edited by Andy Tang; 10 June 2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10 June 2005, 05:09 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

My CV highlights 10 years of my 12 year working life, along with qualifications and accreditations, as well as skills and hobbies. Also includes career aspirations and summary of my skills, in boxes to give impact.

Covers 2 pages of A4, and every skill and claim is highlighted with a real world example.

Been checked over by a few HR Managers in large corporate companies, as well as several agencies. I'm happy with it at the moment, although it needs some updates, but I'm happy with where I am at the moment, so there's no need!