Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ant-busting

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2005, 10:48 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ant-busting

The little ******* are out and about in my garden. Fine if they mind ther own business but they've done a few (short lived) expeditions into the house. By watching them I found a tiny hole in the corner of the patio door frame which got promptly filled with some sealant. They did me a favour in this instance since some water came in here once in a storm and I couldn't find at the time where it came from. Anyway I digress, they obviously have another way in which I can't find and despite a liberal application of crawling insect killer around the outside of the house I have decided to exterminate the fooking lot.

Herein lies the problem, I've loads of the poison bait they take back to the nest but can't find the right place to set it. The ants seem do be spread sparsely and evenly over the whole garden - I even see them up trees. Where ever you look there is one or two if you wait long enough but I can't find the nest or any main concentration of them.

For one night only I caught them swarming on the patio and I put the poison out and they couldn't get enough. I kept topping up and fed the ******* half a bottle.
Since then though whenever I put it out, there are just a few munching and normally a couple of retarded ones get stuck in the stuff - but no further dining companions attend the lethal feast and all their scram gets washed away in the next rain.

How do I go about locating their nest and laying the poison in the right place? What to do?

PS I tried the front of the yellow pages under "aardvarks" already
Old 04 June 2005, 11:12 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

not sure how you can locate it, but normally it's pretty easy to find a nest - are there no flying ones dive bombing you?

sod the poison - a couple of nice kettles of boiling hot water make for interesting scurrying and death
Old 04 June 2005, 11:20 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

That's what I thought but these are stealthy sods. There is several tonnes of sand underneath the patio. I wonder if I can't find the nest because it is everywhere - underneath the whole garden

The airboourne division don't normally fly 'till later in the summer. If I get my way, the whole lot of them will be ancient toast by then.
Old 04 June 2005, 11:22 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

If you see them all over the garden there are probably multiple nests.

I have this problem every year - the stuff they carry back to the nest was never very succesfull. Best results i've had is by finding the nests and stirring them up so they go mad then giving them a liberal dusting of Raid ant killer powder.

Now the little barstewards have taken refuge under the block paved patio - so I'm currently looking for the little holes that they use as an exit and blowing the powder inside..........seems pretty good so far
Old 04 June 2005, 11:29 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

One more thing - got many aphids in the garden on your plants?

Ants 'milk' aphids for the honeydew they secrete and so are a great source of food for them. They will even move them from plant to plant and store there eggs over winter and hatch them in the spring and reintroduce them to your plants!!

Spraying you plants with insecticide and killing the aphids will take away that source of food - I suppose the only downside is they may then come inside your house more looking for food.....smart little beggars ain't they???
Old 04 June 2005, 11:46 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

hadn't cut the grass for two weeks and cut it today. Found 2 small nests in the grass. ******* things.
Old 05 June 2005, 12:01 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Slightly treading out of my depth here, so hopefully not talking bulldung, but supposedly ants are an example of some sort of scientific/mathematical principle. Any given ant is thick as pig ****.....but together the colony behaves as a highly intelligent unit, a bit like a computer or something

Trending Topics

Old 05 June 2005, 02:30 PM
FlexiRob
Scooby Regular

Try Jayes fluid, mix it up as per the distructions for pigeon lofts and rinse your patio/drive

They don't like it up 'em Mr Mannering

PS sorts the weeds aswell
Old 05 June 2005, 03:55 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlexiRob
Try Jayes fluid, mix it up as per the distructions for pigeon lofts and rinse your patio/drive

They don't like it up 'em Mr Mannering

PS sorts the weeds aswell
Gotta agree - tremendous stuff. Use it every spring to get rid of weeds and that green fugus/bacteria of the block paving. Doesn't smell to good though

Hadn't thought about the ant aspect of it - but I imagine it kills everything it touches, it's vicious stuff.