Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do sellers say this....

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2005, 06:56 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do sellers say this....

I've been trawling Ebay for potential car bargains - don't we all - and I keep coming across sellers stating that a 3%, 4% or 5% surcharge is applicable if paying by PayPal.

Surely they should be willing to accept PayPal's charges as it opens up their market to a broader audience? I wouldn't go into a shop and expect to pay extra if I chose to use my Credit Card, despite it costing the shop 4% of sales made by CC to have the facility.

Bloody cheek if you ask me
Old 04 June 2005, 07:14 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

i'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to do that now, report them to ebay
Old 04 June 2005, 07:15 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
I've been trawling Ebay for potential car bargains - don't we all - and I keep coming across sellers stating that a 3%, 4% or 5% surcharge is applicable if paying by PayPal.

Surely they should be willing to accept PayPal's charges as it opens up their market to a broader audience? I wouldn't go into a shop and expect to pay extra if I chose to use my Credit Card, despite it costing the shop 4% of sales made by CC to have the facility.

Bloody cheek if you ask me
As it's against eBays rules to surcharge for PayPals' use then these listings are in breach of T&C's.

Either report them or don't ever use them.

They are better off not excepting PayPal full stop anyway as 1.9, 2.9 or 3.4% +20p on a cars total can add up in fees.

I tend to accept PayPal up to £500.00, then for the products I have above that I won't accept it.

Seller protection via PayPal is very iffy too.
Old 04 June 2005, 07:19 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Not sure about e-bay but I think in general sellers are allowed to charge for credit card fee if they choose. What pisses me off is when they ask for 3% and I am pretty damn sure they are only being charged half of that by the card company. Personally I think it is short sighted and they should swallow the fee as it brings more business and, hopefully, better security of payment. DL
Old 04 June 2005, 07:48 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I believe if you open an accoun t on paypal wich can take c/cards as method of paymentm, you can recover the card charges in your sales..

why should i loose 4% of what i make because you choose to pay on tick??

Mart
Old 04 June 2005, 08:08 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
I believe if you open an accoun t on paypal wich can take c/cards as method of paymentm, you can recover the card charges in your sales..

why should i loose 4% of what i make because you choose to pay on tick??

Mart
Copied and pasted for Mart360 from my thread above.

As it's against eBays rules to surcharge for PayPals' use then these listings are in breach of T&C's.
Old 04 June 2005, 08:18 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I must say although its against ebay rules I hate having to pay PissPal charges, although you need to way things up, I would still buy something if someone surcharged if:
I wanted it quickly,
No one else had it
It still worked out cheaper than anywhere or anyone else.

The real reason ebay stopped surcharging is because it was getting too complicated for newbie ebayers, some people would put 3.4% + 20p some 5% some 10%. You can report them through ebay but dont hold your breath (see the other thread I posted on). There are people still surcharging on ebay (I think a couple of powersellers may still be doing it) think how many times they must have been reported since the intrduction of the rule about 18 months ago, yet there still surcharging!

You can always send a cheque!

Trending Topics

Old 04 June 2005, 08:27 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I would still buy something if someone surcharged if:
I wanted it quickly,
No one else had it
It still worked out cheaper than anywhere or anyone else.
For those reasons alone eBay is fighting a much harder battle if you are prepared to encourage such activity I guess.
Old 04 June 2005, 08:33 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Sorry cant see the problem with surcharging, if you dont want to pay it dont buy it. I have never paid a surcharge on ebay because there is always some one else selling the same thing.

Eg.

If seller A was selling a brand new exhaust for £100 +3.4% Paypal surcharge

OR

Seller B was selling the exact same exhaust for £250 with no surcharge

Which would you buy?
Old 04 June 2005, 08:50 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Using daft scenarios doesn't work either!
Old 04 June 2005, 09:01 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I don't have a problem with people recovering the fees more discretely. For example, if you want to get £1000 for a car then set the reserve at £1005 and accept paypal. That can't contravene any T's & C's and has the added bonus of not making you look like a shyster either.
Old 04 June 2005, 09:05 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Taken from ebay!!!!

Quote"

Surcharge Policy

eBay has adopted the following surcharging policy in the interests of ensuring that all buyers receive clear and accurate pricing information when trading on eBay.co.uk. This surcharge policy applies only to items listed on eBay.co.uk.

eBay prohibits surcharging by sellers except where described below. Surcharging occurs when sellers pass the charges they incur for using eBay or third party services such as payment services onto buyers.

Specific examples are explained below for your guidance:

1. Electronic Money Services: Sellers who accept electronic money services as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay, may not impose a surcharge.

Electronic money services include, but are not limited to, services such as PayPal, Nochex, FastPay or Moneybookers.

2. Cheques and Money Order: Sellers may not charge buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of cheques and money orders.

3. eBay Fees: Sellers may not pass onto buyers any eBay selling fees including but not limited to listing fees, listing enhancement fees and final value fees.

Exceptions to the Surcharge Policy

1. Credit and Debit Card Payments: Surcharging is permitted where sellers accept credit or debit cards as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay. Such sellers will have merchant accounts with a bank or credit card company.

These sellers may not pass on to the buyer a charge greater than the amount of the commission payable by the seller to the bank processing that credit or debit card payment. In other words, sellers may recoup the charges incurred as a direct consequence of accepting the credit or debit card, but no more.

Please note that under English law, sellers have a legal right to pass onto the buyer the charges incurred for a credit or debit card transaction. However, this right does not apply to electronic money services. Where a credit or debit card is used to purchase electronic money to fund a transaction made via an electronic money service such as the ones listed above, this is not a credit or debit card transaction, but an electronic money service transaction.

2. Posting and Handling: Sellers may add a reasonable posting and handling fee to the final price of their item, providing that this fee is disclosed up front in the listing. A posting and handling fee can cover only the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. Posting and handling fees cannot be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

3. Escrow: Sellers may pass along the costs associated with using a third party escrow service, if the buyer chooses to use an escrow service and if the costs are disclosed and agreed to in advance by the buyer.

4. Different Currencies: Sellers may choose to accept payment in a different currency than the currency listed on eBay. If the buyer chooses to take advantage of this optional payment method, the seller may pass along to the buyer any costs associated with the currency exchange, provided that the costs are disclosed and agreed to in advance by the buyer.

Report listing violations or problems with another eBay member.

unquote"

hence why i took out a merchant account...

Mart
Old 04 June 2005, 09:13 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Using daft scenarios doesn't work either!
So you would buy the more expensive one then? I dont think it is a daft scenario maybe the price gap is a little extreme, but its only so I can make a clear point.

Ok how about

£100 + 3.4% (Total cost 103.40)

OR

£110 (no surcharge) which would you buy?
Old 04 June 2005, 09:16 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Mart, so you are saying you take credit card details payments from your customers over the phone then and process them yourself?
Old 04 June 2005, 09:16 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Mart360 do you mind me asking how you process the credit cards? Do you do it over the telephone or have you a secure online server that you email the details of to people who win your auctions?

Just in the process of trying to intergrate credit card merchant account into ebay, any help appreciated!
Old 04 June 2005, 09:18 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

whooops,

Looks like someone was thinking the same as me, as I was typing

Spoon please chill out a bit!
Old 04 June 2005, 09:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Mart, so you are saying you take credit card details payments from your customers over the phone then and process them yourself?
nope, but i accept all methods of payment..

the way paypall set up the system, unless you take a merchant or premier acc, you cant accept payments from cc or debit cards..

because i dont know how people are going to pay, i accept everything, if it is a cc or debit card, i can if i wish surcharge, however i normally dont, but on some expensive items cars etc i prolly would

Mart
Old 04 June 2005, 09:24 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Spoon please chill out a bit!
I'm perfectly chilled as always and will discuss the matters properly but in an adult fashion only.

Telling someone to chill out is always a sign they've had enough.
Old 04 June 2005, 09:33 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
nope, but i accept all methods of payment..

the way paypall set up the system, unless you take a merchant or premier acc, you cant accept payments from cc or debit cards..

because i dont know how people are going to pay, i accept everything, if it is a cc or debit card, i can if i wish surcharge, however i normally dont, but on some expensive items cars etc i prolly would

Mart
Mart- In that case you have mis-interpreted the policy. You can only surcharge if, like me, you take the card holders details and payment over the phone using your own machine.

If PayPal accept customers card details then YOU can't surcharge.
Old 04 June 2005, 09:58 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Mart360,

Im afraid to say Spoon is right on this, although I dont surcharge I could if I wanted to because I take payments over the phone (soon to be a secure server). Mart360 You better watch out because spoon will be reporting you to Liveworld
Old 04 June 2005, 10:05 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Scooby Soon -It's also against eBays policy to hold an account if you are under 18 years of age but it doesn't mention you can't hold one if you only act like it.

Thank fúck hey?
Old 04 June 2005, 10:07 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Telling someone to chill out is always a sign they've had enough.
Always a sign? Wheres this Knowledge base that you are refering to?

You didnt ask my revised question yet? Which one would you buy.................... the more expensive one?

If you would buy the more expensive, then it may be worth a trial on ebay with 2 test auctions on one of my ids, I can see which one sells quickest or greatest volume of product, which do you think will sell the most, the cheapest or the more expensive one? (one with and the other without a surcharge)
Old 04 June 2005, 10:16 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Thank fúck hey?
I think you will find thats against scoobynet rules

Right Im reporting you to Liveworld
Old 04 June 2005, 10:24 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Always a sign? Wheres this Knowledge base that you are refering to?
Many years of experience. Just like those who express a different opinion are labelled trolls by those who can't express themselves properly.

You didnt ask my revised question yet? Which one would you buy.................... the more expensive one?

If you would buy the more expensive, then it may be worth a trial on ebay with 2 test auctions on one of my ids, I can see which one sells quickest or greatest volume of product, which do you think will sell the most, the cheapest or the more expensive one? (one with and the other without a surcharge)
The simple reason you haven't had an answer (not ask as you put it) to the surcharging is quite clear to those who understand what is allowed and what isn't.

I can't put it any clearer.

If you're happy to pay a surcharge then fine. Like I said, whilst there are people like yourself happy to pay a surcharge then it will encourage sellers to charge one and eBay won't get any better.
Old 04 June 2005, 10:38 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

If you're happy to pay a surcharge then fine. Like I said, whilst there are people like yourself happy to pay a surcharge then it will encourage sellers to charge one and eBay won't get any better.
I dont understand hows ebay better with out surcharges? It is easier and simpler to use for blind newbies who dont read descriptions, but better?

All it means is that the surcharge is already included in the (for example) Buy It Now price this means ebay get a higher final value fee percentage than if the surcharge was added on at the end of the sale with the postage.

As i said before everything ebay does is motivated by profits, pure and simple.

"Many years of experience. Just like those who express a different opinion are labelled trolls by those who can't express themselves properly."

I didn't call you a troll, but I am happy to agree with you that you are acting like one on these ebay threads.
Old 04 June 2005, 10:49 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I didn't call you a troll, but I am happy to agree with you that you are acting like one on these ebay threads.
Agreed, if the relaying the facts qualifies for trolldom. I rest my case.
Old 04 June 2005, 11:04 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Agreed, if the relaying the facts qualifies for trolldom. I rest my case.
As quoted from my dictionary

Fact:

Something believed to be true or real

Some of the things you have written are not facts because they are not true, sometimes believe it or not you can be wrong.

My posts are mearly pointing out different points of views, as well as factual information. If someone is posting incorrect information (ie you) its in everyones best interest to correct them. Im not saying that everything you say is tripe just some of it.

And after a quick search on scoobynet I can see why you may be getting in a huff. You have posted a reply on 98% of the ebay related threads listed on scoobynet. You have thrown your rattle out your pram because I have started to post a couple of detailed responses on the most recent ebay threads.

I will now bow down to king Spoon,