Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Solar Hot water heating - Blimey! How much!!!!Your having a larf mate!

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2005, 02:59 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation Solar Hot water heating - Blimey! How much!!!!Your having a larf mate!

Was sitting outside at home this weekend, thinking the front of our house gets baked by the sun all day long.

So my thoughts drifted about getting solar heating for the hot water - a few hundred quid maybe - probably even get a grant too from the council.....

Looked into this today....www.solartwin.com

how fooking much!! - prices start from £2,799 - bladdy hell - I'd have to live to be older than Gandalf the Grey to recoup that cost - stunned AND thats with a potential £400 grant......

Anybody had this done? I'm all for renewable energy but not at that price!
Old 01 June 2005, 03:06 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are looking at an econmic pay back of about 20 years - assuming it has no maintenance costs attached and it can generate ALL your hot water ALL year round.

Like so many planet saving green ideas, they are not economically viable in the first place and also often use more energy to produce them in the first place than they will ever save in their lifetime.
Old 01 June 2005, 04:42 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I don't think the solar panels have a very long life anyway. 15 years was it I saw mentioned somewhere?

That aside, I do think that developers could build some form of solar heating into houses as standard. It would not replace your electric/gas/oil whatever, just supplement it. An ex- GFs parents had it (it had already been installed when they bought their house) and it did make a difference to their bills.

Let's say that it saved 10% of your bills - that's 10% of domestic power use reduced. The greens would love it (10% less of that nasty old poisonous CO2 stuff being emitted - hey, lets not mention what gets produced every time they breathe out ... ) and so would homeowners. I reckon 10% is conservative. Add to that better insulation and house design (to save/recycle more *stuff* all built in as standard) and as it was standard stuff there would be economies of scale - so prices of 'after market' kit would fall to.

Or am I being a little simplistic here ....??

Dave
You're being over simplistic I suspect. If you are not paying for the panel, i.e. it is already on the house and it hasn't increased the purchase value as a result, then yes, you as the new owner will be laughing. The person who originally bought it however will have been stuffed.

I'm all for more efficient use of materials, better insulation, clever positioning of the property and its windows, that's all good stuff. However, I just wonder how much energy is used to create the solar panel? I do remember the older ones would never get pay back, in otherwords whatever electricity or water heating saving they provided to the end user, it had already taken much more than that to create the panel in the first place. It's all of this up front cost of production in terms of cash and energy that the lentil munchers seem to forget about.
Old 01 June 2005, 05:51 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

So it heats your water in the sunny summer when you don't need it. It doesn't heat your water in the cloudy winter when you do need it.

It might be worth doing if you live somewhere sunny all the time and if it does more than heat (which you don't really need much if you're in a hot country).

Now if it efficiently generated electricity then it might be worth thinking about.

What are the panels made of anyway? all envrironmentally friendly stuff? or not?
Old 02 June 2005, 09:45 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Well - it appears there are Water Heating panels - basically like a big radiator which absorbs heat and there are Photovoltaic panels which produce electricity.

I was going for the simple option of heating water - mainly for showers/baths.

With the photovoltaic panels you need to gather & store the power you have produced to make it useable, this generally requires a garage full of lead acid batteries!

If the water panels install is that much I really *dread* to think how much a electricity install would be......I reckon you could buy a tidy scooby for the money!
Old 02 June 2005, 10:10 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dig around on their page and you'll find a lot of gumph about how it is environmentally manufactured. I'll leave the scientists here to work that out.

When I moved into my house I paid 2200 euros for a new gas combi boiler. In the winter, for four months, my gas c/h costs me 50 euros/week. If the above can power c/h I think I'd recoup a bit quicker than 30 years. Trouble was, a) we needed it done pronto, b) I asked vaguely about solar but the guy said I'd need a tank of at least 300 litres. The one above works for 120 litres, which is what I have. Maybe I'll get a few more estimates.

Trending Topics

Old 02 June 2005, 10:10 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
Well - it appears there are Water Heating panels - basically like a big radiator which absorbs heat and there are Photovoltaic panels which produce electricity.

I was going for the simple option of heating water - mainly for showers/baths.

With the photovoltaic panels you need to gather & store the power you have produced to make it useable, this generally requires a garage full of lead acid batteries!

If the water panels install is that much I really *dread* to think how much a electricity install would be......I reckon you could buy a tidy scooby for the money!
Lol - you don't store spare electricity, you sell it back to the national grid and get a discount on your normal electricity bill.
Old 02 June 2005, 10:43 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Some people do try to store the spare electricity, and get totally disconnected from the grid.

I'd not take that option mind, far too likely to end up with frozen toes
Old 02 June 2005, 11:46 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Some people do try to store the spare electricity, and get totally disconnected from the grid.

I'd not take that option mind, far too likely to end up with frozen toes

Well I suppose you can find one green that is even loonier than the rest. What a way to turn an economically unsound project in to a total money pit
Old 02 June 2005, 11:57 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

there are diy solar projects supported by the dti,

http://www.dti.gov.uk/NewReview/nr42..._business.html

i had a pamphlet round claiming you can get this going for £1k
Old 02 June 2005, 12:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If we disposed of the Greens we would lose that 10% that they breathe out and there would be lots of other advantages too.

Les
Old 02 June 2005, 12:12 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Saw an article recently on News24 about personal wind turbines. An elderly couple had spent £18k supplemented with a £5k grant to fit one in their garden and their annual electricity bills had dropped from £800 to £8.38 a year As stated above, any excess electricity they produced went back into the NG and they were paid for it. Apparantly systems start at around £3k, with grants available. I've been thinking about investigating it a little further as our house looks out onto a valley which is naturally windy.
Old 02 June 2005, 12:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Saw an article recently on News24 about personal wind turbines. An elderly couple had spent £18k supplemented with a £5k grant to fit one in their garden and their annual electricity bills had dropped from £800 to £8.38 a year As stated above, any excess electricity they produced went back into the NG and they were paid for it. Apparantly systems start at around £3k, with grants available. I've been thinking about investigating it a little further as our house looks out onto a valley which is naturally windy.
OK so a £13K outlay in cash to save £800 per year. That's a 16.25 year pay back. Let's hope they weren't "too" elederly. Not sure I want a wind turbine in my garden, kinda like the view as it is!
Old 02 June 2005, 01:07 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I don't think the solar panels have a very long life anyway. 15 years was it I saw mentioned somewhere?

That aside, I do think that developers could build some form of solar heating into houses as standard. It would not replace your electric/gas/oil whatever, just supplement it. An ex- GFs parents had it (it had already been installed when they bought their house) and it did make a difference to their bills.

Let's say that it saved 10% of your bills - that's 10% of domestic power use reduced. The greens would love it (10% less of that nasty old poisonous CO2 stuff being emitted - hey, lets not mention what gets produced every time they breathe out ... ) and so would homeowners. I reckon 10% is conservative. Add to that better insulation and house design (to save/recycle more *stuff* all built in as standard) and as it was standard stuff there would be economies of scale - so prices of 'after market' kit would fall to.

Or am I being a little simplistic here ....??

Dave

Simplistic maybe but as a developer we are already installing almost twice the amount of insulation that was installed as late as the eighties and also install combi/ condensing boilers which are up to three times more efficient than the equivalent 70/80s boiler.
Even the glass now fitted to all new building is "k" glass with a heat reflective coating and these are savings over a 100 year life span.
if you put the same amount of extra insulation by cost basis as the solar panels quoted the returns would be much better.

I'm not dissing solar its just that with our climate and the costs involved the returns just aren't there yet
Old 02 June 2005, 03:50 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Brilliant! - something to threaten the neighbours with if they start getting stroppy about tall leylandii evergreens

Thanks corradoboy

Mick
Old 02 June 2005, 09:10 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Worcester Bosch are launching a solar hot water system this year which will provide hot water 365 days a year, I'm booked in for a training course in July to become a approved installer.

mog