Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whats the best Safety Camera Dectector?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2005, 09:32 AM
Dannfire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Whats the best Safety Camera Dectector?

Hi guys.....whats the best GPS safety camera detector in your opinion? Ive had Snooper and most recently Origin B2 which is very good but im thinking about giving the Road Angel 2 a go any thoughts?

Dan.
Old 01 June 2005, 12:03 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dannfire
Hi guys.....whats the best GPS safety camera detector in your opinion? Ive had Snooper and most recently Origin B2 which is very good but im thinking about giving the Road Angel 2 a go any thoughts?

Dan.
I've got one and am very impresssed by it: works very well, very neat looking, easy installation and updates. You might miss the Origin's smaller size and speed limit warnings though. Just curious: Why did you get rid of it?

NS04
Old 01 June 2005, 12:43 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Was looking at the new £79 Toad one, but found some poor reviews on the net
When (if) the new Radar law is passed, will it be illigal to use them, or just supply them?
Some GPS systems have a radar detector you can switch off, which would seem ideal if that is the case
Old 01 June 2005, 01:26 PM
Dannfire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I've got one and am very impresssed by it: works very well, very neat looking, easy installation and updates. You might miss the Origin's smaller size and speed limit warnings though. Just curious: Why did you get rid of it?

NS04
I like the look of the Road Angel and i want some thing that i can swap car to car easily without having to have 2 lots of wiring. To be honest i never used the speed warning on the B2 so im not going to miss it....
Old 01 June 2005, 02:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dannfire
I like the look of the Road Angel and i want some thing that i can swap car to car easily without having to have 2 lots of wiring. To be honest i never used the speed warning on the B2 so im not going to miss it....
Then you'll like the Road angel.. just plug and play.

To respond to the other question the GPS devices don't 'detect' anything. It's a database of camera sites. Some -like the RA2 have a lazer detection facility, which would have been rendered illegal by the new legislation, but you can deactivate it, making the device completely legal again. Also, the legislation was not passed last session....don't expect it any time too soon!

NS04
Old 01 June 2005, 03:02 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You know that the 'third lie...' is taking hold when people start to refer to speed cameras as 'Safety Cameras'. Soon, speeding really will be seen as the 'new drink-driving'..........

Simon
Old 01 June 2005, 03:14 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

As I understand it if the new law is passed it will be legal to own a laser detector but not use one.

If we are only going to be left with GPS systems only then I can't really see the point of buying a GPS only B2 or Road angel.

IMO you would be better paying similar money for a Satnav system and loading on it the speed camera database. That way you get Satnav and GPS camera alerts in one unit for similar money to a Road Angel.

Cheers
Lee

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2005, 03:19 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
As I understand it if the new law is passed it will be legal to own a laser detector but not use one.

If we are only going to be left with GPS systems only then I can't really see the point of buying a GPS only B2 or Road angel.

IMO you would be better paying similar money for a Satnav system and loading on it the speed camera database. That way you get Satnav and GPS camera alerts in one unit for similar money to a Road Angel.

Cheers
Lee

Unless you are hooked up to a jammer, then the laser / radar detectors are not much cop anyway other than to have you crapping yourself about a possible NIP for the next 14 days.

I have TomTom with the speed camera locations and all set up with check point and warning sounds etc, but it doesn't quite ram the message home like a Road Angel screeching at you, that can even make it through the CD player blasting away. The Speed Camera sites really is little more than a "bonus" on a PDA, but it is nice with checkpoint monitoring your average speed through a SPECS and also having Mobile camera sites as well.
Old 01 June 2005, 03:25 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

I've just 'won' a new road angel on ebay, lots go on there for between £260 and £300 sold as 'reconditioned' with 6 months subscription .I chose the road angel because of the good reviews I've read , and I figured if it doesn't get used much I can always sell it on ebay in a few months time and get a large chunk of my money back .

Dave
Old 01 June 2005, 03:29 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK

I have TomTom with the speed camera locations and all set up with check point and warning sounds etc, but it doesn't quite ram the message home like a Road Angel screeching at you, that can even make it through the CD player blasting away. The Speed Camera sites really is little more than a "bonus" on a PDA, but it is nice with checkpoint monitoring your average speed through a SPECS and also having Mobile camera sites as well.
Depends what SatNav you have really, I looked at the pda one's but found they were not loud enough to be heard above the stereo or when doing motorway speeds.
Car based systems like the Navman 6XX series or the TomTom Go will give audible warnings just as loud as a Road Angel.

Cheers
Lee
Old 01 June 2005, 03:31 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
Depends what SatNav you have really, I looked at the pda one's but found they were not loud enough to be heard above the stereo or when doing motorway speeds.
Car based systems like the Navman 6XX series or the TomTom Go will give audible warnings just as loud as a Road Angel.

Cheers
Lee
Horses for courses really. Depends what you want from the boxes on your dash.
Old 01 June 2005, 04:05 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I've the Origin B2 - the only thing that triggers the laser alert is adjusting the drivers door mirror...
Old 01 June 2005, 04:11 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
I've the Origin B2 - the only thing that triggers the laser alert is adjusting the drivers door mirror...
Same here. use a ferrite collar by the cig plug.