Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So, what is an acceptable motorway speed limit??

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2005, 07:09 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow So, what is an acceptable motorway speed limit??

Much debate about speeding/scamers etc.

What is an acceptable motorway speed limit? Should we have variable speed limits depending on time of day? Weather?

How would you do it, and what's your justification.....
Old 31 May 2005, 07:22 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Old 31 May 2005, 07:29 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midget1500
Many would do 120mph. Dangerous imo.
Old 31 May 2005, 07:31 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

80 is an acceptable limit. At least you can make good progress at that speed and it seems natural to me to sit at 80 rather than a slow-feeling 70. In fact, I can't sit at 70!
Old 31 May 2005, 07:32 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

If 80 was the limit, should limits be more striclty enforced?
Old 31 May 2005, 07:33 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midget1500
and forty

seriously, 90 would be ok in my book. some people would stretch to 100, but most people do whatever speed they want regardless of any limit.

very wrongly, but personally i find 90-100 a safe speed to travel along at. (obviously conditions etc allowing)
Old 31 May 2005, 07:38 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
and forty

seriously, 90 would be ok in my book. some people would stretch to 100, but most people do whatever speed they want regardless of any limit.

very wrongly, but personally i find 90-100 a safe speed to travel along at. (obviously conditions etc allowing)
If it was 90, people would do atleast that. Bearing in mind there are so many, well, CRAP drivers out there - do you think it would be dangerous to allow that limit??

Or will it highlight more the need for re-tests etc....so will be good in the long term.

Limits are set for those who need to be told, not those who don't. These people are incapable of judging conditions. They see a sign and assume 100% and whole-heartedly that it is totally right for that road.

Would love to put a 70 limit sign along a 30 limit to see how many numpties travel at 70 (you know the sign that gives you the recommended speed )

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2005, 07:39 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Perhaps a more interesting way of looking at it might be to ask if those who drive at a speed inappropriate for the conditions. no matter what the actual limit, should be given further training to help them appreciate the fundamentals of safe driving.

If you could take this to its ultimate conclusion then you wouldn't need a speed limit and you would have much safer drivers on all the roads.
Old 31 May 2005, 07:41 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Perhaps a more interesting way of looking at it might be to ask if those who drive at a speed inappropriate for the conditions. no matter what the actual limit, should be given further training to help them appreciate the fundamentals of safe driving.

If you could take this to its ultimate conclusion then you wouldn't need a speed limit and you would have much safer drivers on all the roads.
Would need coppers on every street. Couldn't be enforced, roads would be mayhem.

Not everyone is as capable as you.

Limits are the life saver for most white knuckle drivers that get in a car, and go through the motions of driving.
Old 31 May 2005, 07:43 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

if you have a blanket limit 70 is perfect.

most people do 80 and at that speed there is little risk of prosecution...works fine for me.

anything over 80 is an invite to do 100mph + which is toooo fast for modern motorways (to turn the "modern cars/modern barkes" crap on its head i would be happier to do 100mph 25 years ago when there were fewer cars)

anyway......it will never change so that suits me!
Old 31 May 2005, 07:44 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine, he is a "safe" dirver. obides by all the limits, never gives it any stick.

does that make him a good driver? Hell no. He's ****e!!!! He's learned what to do to make your car go somewhere with you in it, though I question his ability to drive. If anything happens out of the ordinary he'd not know what to do. It's people like him that speed limits are there for.
Old 31 May 2005, 07:45 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

all depends on your car.

s class merc, 100? no bother. in a micra, ummm not so safe.

so, should cars be given different speed limits?

come on, speed limits are arbitary, a blanket limit for all drivers, abilities and cars.
Old 31 May 2005, 07:46 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
if you have a blanket limit 70 is perfect.

most people do 80 and at that speed there is little risk of prosecution...works fine for me.

anything over 80 is an invite to do 100mph + which is toooo fast for modern motorways (to turn the "modern cars/modern barkes" crap on its head i would be happier to do 100mph 25 years ago when there were fewer cars)

anyway......it will never change so that suits me!
I agree. 70mph with reasonable tolerance, or 80mph with only a little tolerance.

Eg. I do 79.9mph in lane 1 whilst laughing at Club Clueless floating aimlessly in lanes 2 and 3 of the motorway. Chuckling at how many people say "ooooohhh, he's undertaking".

"undertaking? Err, sorry chap but I'm simply in the lane that you SHOULD be in".
Old 31 May 2005, 08:00 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

85 done
Old 31 May 2005, 08:02 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

90-100
Old 31 May 2005, 08:15 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Are the autobahns dangerous?
hell no

But the drivers are educated- penalties for people being nobsh*ts are higher, the annual test is stricter on vehicles and they still have police out and about rather than a reliance on cameras.....

The problem in this country is the people. end of. So I vote 0mph, burn all cars and kill everyone.
Old 31 May 2005, 08:15 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

80 as a new base line would help!!

why not adopt the same system as in germany...

contra to what people belive about the autobhans, they have a speed system that works well

they have posted limits, that are policed!!!, they have variable limits again policed.. and they have unlimited sections with reccomendations.

however the eye opener is should you choose to excersise the limits of you car, and have an accident above the recommeded maximum, you are automatically at fault. (so i have been led to believe) prhaps some of our resident locals can clarify.

the trouble here is if they relaxed the current speed limits you would get an influx on chavs ttrying to top speed there motors all the time.

i can honestly say, all the driving i have done on the bahns i have rarely seen
wan* driving, even wheb i was doing well in excess of 130 mph , the car behind kept a safe distance until i had pulled in before dissapearing in to the distance at at least 150 plus!!

M
Old 31 May 2005, 08:19 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
Are the autobahns dangerous?
hell no

But the drivers are educated- penalties for people being nobsh*ts are higher, the annual test is stricter on vehicles and they still have police out and about rather than a reliance on cameras.....
Egg-Zak-er-lee

Id like to see complete Derestriction. But as a proviso Id also like to see better lane discipline.

I think that like the IOM, once the novelties worn off most people will hold it back to 80-90.
Old 31 May 2005, 08:20 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
If it was 90, people would do atleast that. Bearing in mind there are so many, well, CRAP drivers out there - do you think it would be dangerous to allow that limit??

Or will it highlight more the need for re-tests etc....so will be good in the long term.

Limits are set for those who need to be told, not those who don't. These people are incapable of judging conditions. They see a sign and assume 100% and whole-heartedly that it is totally right for that road.

Would love to put a 70 limit sign along a 30 limit to see how many numpties travel at 70 (you know the sign that gives you the recommended speed )
70 mph limit is in my opinion a too slow max speed for the modern road/car on a motorway. i say 90 as what is the point in raising it by 10mph? i'm sure there's some crash statistic that says it's better, but short of looking at my speedo i couldn't tell the difference between 70 and 80.

but between 70 and 90 though i can feel the difference. enforce a rigid no-one above 100 (as it is now i think) so as with any speeding offence, you take your chance.

short of being outside schools and speed cameras i, like most, drive to safe speeds dependent on road/conditions etc.

i'm not likely to go blasting down a 30 zone at mach 1, but have found myself doing 60+ along a 40 road, basically because it's a dead straight road and used to be national speed limit. not right and i'll get the book thrown at me, but so be it.

maybe a speed limit based on the length of time you've been driving would be a better way to go? seem to remember this being touted around a while back.
Old 31 May 2005, 08:41 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

The current limit was introduced in the sixties due to someone being clocked at 196mph in a tuned Shelby Cobra. Now this was fine back then due to most cars being Ford Populars and Vauxhall Victors etc. and only Jags and the like were relativly safe above 70 mph speeds

Now the average 1.8 LX Mondeo is far far superior with regards to handling and stopping power at speed and the limit needs to be raised significantly unfortunately i cannot see this happening. The problem is not speed it is tailgaiting and poor lane discipline that causes accidents.

I would personally have variable speed limits i.e. lower in bad weather and higher in good conditions and no speed limit at certain times i.e. 5am in the morning.
Old 31 May 2005, 08:46 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Not to try and take anything away from your point. But the Cobra was not travelling that fsat IIRC. Thought it was 146, certainly not more than 150. We are talking years ago.

It was certainely faster than out fighter aircraft of the time. As the chap in the passenger seat was apparantly shi**ing himself. He was a figher pilot who had never gone so fast !!

I'd be careful of variable limits. All that would happen is that in good weather we can go 70mph, and in bad we can go down to the Euro speed of 55mph.
Old 31 May 2005, 08:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

90 cars, etc

60 HGV's
Old 31 May 2005, 09:01 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Not to try and take anything away from your point. But the Cobra was not travelling that fsat IIRC. Thought it was 146, certainly not more than 150. We are talking years ago.

It was certainely faster than out fighter aircraft of the time. As the chap in the passenger seat was apparantly shi**ing himself. He was a figher pilot who had never gone so fast !!

I'd be careful of variable limits. All that would happen is that in good weather we can go 70mph, and in bad we can go down to the Euro speed of 55mph.
Sorry to change the subject but i am pretty sure it was 196mph in 1962 i might be a few miles an hour out but it was definetely over 185mph
Old 31 May 2005, 09:04 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

If it really was over 185mph that would have been totally awesome back then....
Old 31 May 2005, 09:08 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Well, your memory is much better than mine. Just gone and Googled it. Apparantly was 183mph in 1964:
http://www.ukcar.com/timeline/

This is also interesting:
http://www.roadsafetyuk.co.uk/histall.htm
Old 31 May 2005, 09:08 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
If it really was over 185mph that would have been totally awesome back then....
Well i have heard it a few times and also seen it on Pistonheads but you know how these things get exagerated, you might be right.

Has anyone got any links to this?????

Incidentally it was not a road car but a highly tuned Shelby Cobra come race car!
Old 31 May 2005, 09:15 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

In 1962 as well, Sh****ttttt!!!!!!
Old 31 May 2005, 09:17 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
In 1962 as well, Sh****ttttt!!!!!!
Errrr!!! not that good 1964 i mean
Old 31 May 2005, 09:21 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Here's an idea...

Why not set a minimum motorway speed limit of 120mph - and that's on the carriageway, so you have to accelerate to that on the slip road before joining. Breaking this limit would mean an instant motorway ban for, say, a month.

Thus we would free the arterial roads from lorries, metros, Rover 75s etc., and they would become truly efficient long distance thoroughfares.

Just a thought?

mb
Old 31 May 2005, 09:29 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

90 is to fast for modern busy motorways. This is a small place with lots of cars.............it doesnt matter how modern cars get humans are designed to go 10mph at most and above that (when they have full control) theres a point where things just happen too quick.

anyway...no point saying anything else as i love the UK and the law wont change while i have a licence

Quick Reply: So, what is an acceptable motorway speed limit??