Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

£900 car tax

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2005, 11:05 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £900 car tax

The so called "Energy Saving Trust" has called for an increase in car tax (VED) to £900 for cars which do less than 35mpg.

The EST is an "independent, government-funded body" which is certainly an interesting use of the word "independent" in this context. It is also interesting that it is below the £1000 mark, I'm surprised it wasn't £999.99!!

Of course this means that even cars that only do a few miles per year will now be paying a lot of tax and it will be very hard on the less well off such as a farmer who may keep a larger vehicle to tow a trailer or a family with quite a few kids. I am sure there will be a significant increase in safety in having a farmer tow a large trailer with a Fiat Panda!

Instead of posting here the usual SN group who support the persecution of motorists because they are an easy target should just make a donation in lieu at their local Greenpeace office.
Old 30 May 2005, 11:28 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Never happen as it hits the poor the most (the poorer people have older less efficient and economical cars) and this would be political suicide.

Nothwithstanding the above, I wonder how my little westie will fare. It 'CAN' do 35mpg driven economically however blast it and something in the 20's will occur (all 'cat' less too which'll pi$$ off those loony greenies ). I'll have to take this polluting, uneconomical car out all the time rather than my 'clean' other car with cat and better mpg
Old 30 May 2005, 11:40 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

ffs..

I bet the money from that fund would never see any public usage..
they'd just spunk it on some jollies and a few arms deals..
Old 30 May 2005, 06:54 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Never happen as it hits the poor the most (the poorer people have older less efficient and economical cars) and this would be political suicide.
So they will give grants for the "poor", just like they give grants for the poor to go to University (even if they are thick as s4it), or give the poor free houses or give the poor free money to stop on at school and disrupt the enthusiastic kids.

The poor won't complain, 'cos they are getting something (everything) for nothing - and will carry on voting for Bliar and Company.

Still, there is some hope that the centralised spenders may get their wings clipped - the French "non" vote is just the start!!!

mb
Old 30 May 2005, 07:29 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
So they will give grants for the "poor", just like they give grants for the poor to go to University (even if they are thick as s4it)
A bit of an elitist viewpoint to take. I’m sure most of these so called “poor” people would be more than eligible for uni placements considering they’ve made the effort in the first place to better their selves. In my opinion a less fortunate kid born into your average council estate dole dossing family would probably had to work a hell of a lot harder to secure said placements than a pubic school snob.
Old 30 May 2005, 08:39 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Cool

makes my 72mpg returned today a bit good eh..

just thought ,,,, like the kyoto treaty us good mpg,ers can aution off the surplus to receptive bidders..

35mpg up for grabs bargain at 450!!!

LOL

Mart