Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going diving...

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2005, 08:13 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Going diving...

I'm off on my 2nd diving holiday this year to the Red Sea, at the Hyatt Regency in Sharm Al Sheik. Just wondered if any other SN's have been and have any useful info they can share, like the good dive sites etc.
I am only Open Water qualified currently, but me and the girly are going to try and fit in our Advanced course while we are out there to give us access to Thistlegorm.
Old 26 May 2005, 08:19 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

check the oxygen level , life saving tip from Si
Old 26 May 2005, 08:46 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Air not Oxygen.
Oxygen (100%) would kill you below about 7 metres
Old 26 May 2005, 08:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Dived out of sharm in march ...

We spent our 2 weeks in Durhab windsurfing and taking the advanced course....Then did a boat dive there in preparation for Ras Muhummed...(which is off the southern tip of the national park about 5 miles from sharm) and requires advanced diver . Never seen so many dive boats in a harbour...
I mucked up by smashing my mask getting in which thro my confidence ( you have to get off as much as possible, together )..i tried a replacement mask but wasted a lot of air not being happy with its fit.
What i did see was great...........Although the sharks only sometimes turn up in summer ...
Old 27 May 2005, 08:01 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

been to sharm twice.

once in a hotel / day boat, the 2nd full time on a dive boat.

fantastic diving but the place sucks espicialy at night going to restaurants ect the hassle and local people need the attitude adjusting big time, there is a very large "tourst" police presence, but we still managed to get locked in a shop and told to buy something if we want to leave, mobile phone came in handy for burly diver backup. hence why we stayed full time on the boat for the 2nd trip.

The protected park is amazing, a long ride out bu so much better than the other reefs.

Thistlegorm is amazing, but on the last trip they said the government will limit maybe ban diving there due to diver damage, I would make sure you get your name down for a trip incase there is high demenad and limited numbers.

both thistlgorm dives were "tricky" on descent and ascent due to currents oh and watch your depth when doing the exterior at the props i touched 35mmetres and got moaned at by the guide.

Oh and go for bigger tanks on the thistlegorm if you want to do as much of the interior as possible the addrenelin on the first trpinside soaks up your air and yo will probably have to return early like all the newbies on my 2nd dive.

oh and there is also a very good book called sharm el sheikh diving guide which gives you good prep and some good site suggestions.

if you want to see sharks you need to do drift dives at depth along reef walls, some every time. your guide on boat should know where they are and turtles too crazy things.