Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Need a Barclays Branch Phone Number...

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2005, 04:11 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Barclays Branch Phone Number...

Can anyone help?

I need (if possible), the actual number for Barclays Castlepoint (Bournemouth) - the number Barclays supply on their website puts you through to their national call centre who know absolutely nothing about the issue I need to speak with them about (primarily as a result of the total incompetence of the branch in question).

For those wondering what this is about (and also for anyone thinking of banking with Barclays), here's a brief summary of events:-

A month ago today, I paid a cheque into my account for £600. I waited for the clearing period, then used the money to pay off a credit card (the cheque was payment for some items purchased for an organisation). Several days later, I received a letter from Barclays stating that during the clearing process the cheque had been lost - no real problem as they stated that provided the money had been debited from the payee's account (something they would confirm manually), it wouldn't affect the payment. To reassure myself, I checked with the payee who confirmed that the cheque had been debited as expected prior to it clearing in my account. No problem you may think...

However, 3 days later I received a further letter from the bank enclosing the cheque stating that payment had been refused and that as a result, the money had been debited from my account The money was not re-credited to the payee. So began the fun.

Barclays are stating that the cheque wasn't honoured and that NatWest (payee's bank) are at fault for not re-crediting the money (clearly missing the point in that if the cheque had bounced, the money would never have been drawn in the first place ). NatWest claim that the cheque was paid and that Barclays have messed up - something i'm inclined to believe given that there was absolutely no reason for the cheque to bounce in the first place (there was more than enough in the way of cleared funds to cover the transaction).

I've spent hours in the bank over the last 2 weeks trying to get an answer as to where the money is, yet nobody seems to have a clue. I was promised it would be dealt with by today when I went in on Monday but once again, nothing has happened. Head Office say it doesn't even show on their system!

Oh, and to rub salt into the wound... the telephone number I was given for my branch is a fax machine

(Apologies for the rant )

K.
Old 25 May 2005, 04:18 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

This the one?

Barclays Bank plc
The Shopping Village,
Castle Point Centre B,
Bournemouth,
Dorset
BH8 9UP
Tel: 0845 7555555

You don't say what is the wrong number so only guessing.
Old 25 May 2005, 04:26 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
This the one?

Barclays Bank plc
The Shopping Village,
Castle Point Centre B,
Bournemouth,
Dorset
BH8 9UP
Tel: 0845 7555555

You don't say what is the wrong number so only guessing.
Apologies, I should have specified

That's the right branch - I need the "01202" number though - the 0845 one specified takes you through to central.

Thanks for ther response...

K.
Old 25 May 2005, 05:40 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

They'll only have internal numbers for branches and will have done away with the external ones...call the contact centre and insist on them putting you through to your required branch
Old 25 May 2005, 06:02 PM
Shanny
Scooby Newbie

Some good info on here. It might be helpful.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/index.htm
Old 25 May 2005, 06:08 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

01202 406725 ?

Last edited by Avi; 25 May 2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 25 May 2005, 06:14 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much guys - knew I could count on you lot

Cheers Avi - i'll try it out first thing in the morning.

Shanny also - many thanks. I'll drop the word "ombudsman" in next time I get hold of somebody. No doubt it will have some sort of effect

K.

Trending Topics

Old 25 May 2005, 06:28 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

You can only really use the ombudsman after you have given the bank reasonable time to resolve the issue and put your complaint in writing unfortunately

Hopefully they'll sort it quickly for you
Old 25 May 2005, 11:04 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Langy
You can only really use the ombudsman after you have given the bank reasonable time to resolve the issue and put your complaint in writing unfortunately

Hopefully they'll sort it quickly for you
Thanks - they already have a complaint in writing (albeit using their internal procedure as opposed to a written complaint from myself). I took this step at the outset as I felt Barclays were at fault and wanted some comeback should I end up having to pay fees (the overdraft limit is looming )

Given that it's now also 2 weeks since the issue was bought to their attention and nothing seems to have happened, I suspect I may have grounds for a claim should I wish to pursue it

K.
Old 26 May 2005, 06:57 PM
Langy
Scooby Regular

You would indeed be correct
Old 26 May 2005, 07:04 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by kelvin
Thanks - they already have a complaint in writing (albeit using their internal procedure as opposed to a written complaint from myself). I took this step at the outset as I felt Barclays were at fault and wanted some comeback should I end up having to pay fees (the overdraft limit is looming )

Given that it's now also 2 weeks since the issue was bought to their attention and nothing seems to have happened, I suspect I may have grounds for a claim should I wish to pursue it

K.
If you have made a complaint, whether it be in writing or using their internal complaints procedure, they should have supplied you with an ombudsman leaflet, detailing their complaints procedures and how you can get in contact with the FSA. If they have not done this they are not following FSA guidelines and therefore failing in their duty of care to you the consumer.. Another point you may wish to add to you claim...