Default David Edgar's arrest ?

Found this on another forurm re Davids Edgar's arrest
http://www.notsoaccurate.com/

Richard
Old 24 May 2005, 03:21 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had a quick read, that is a shocking series of events!
astraboy.
Old 24 May 2005, 03:29 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You're only getting a bias half of the story......

No warrant needs to be produced to smash down someone's door and arrest them, and the cuff marks look normal if there's been a bit of a struggle........
Old 24 May 2005, 03:33 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

David Edgar or :

http://cgi.bbc.co.uk/cymru/chwaraeon...davids-203.jpg
Old 24 May 2005, 03:45 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Currently David is legally and technically challenging the admissibility of evidence which the police obtain from Gatsometer speed cameras, the same evidence which is then used by the Crown Prosecution Service to convict thousands of innocent motorists. If he is finally permitted to present his overwhelming evidence in a Court of law millions of motorists would then be able to appeal their convictions, fines and endorsements and sue the Government for compensation.
[mr.burns]

excellent

[/mr.burns]
Old 24 May 2005, 04:07 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
You're only getting a bias half of the story......

No warrant needs to be produced to smash down someone's door and arrest them, and the cuff marks look normal if there's been a bit of a struggle........
Assuming they are at least believed to have committed an arrestable offence? I'm pretty sure plod can't just kick your door in and cuff you becuase they are bored?!

What arrestable offence was the guy alledged to have commited that resulted in the forced entry and restraint?
Old 24 May 2005, 04:08 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

had heard about this guy before but never read anything about the whole thing. That site is incredible, there should be more press coverage of the whole thing!

Trending Topics

Old 24 May 2005, 04:12 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Assuming they are at least believed to have committed an arrestable offence? I'm pretty sure plod can't just kick your door in and cuff you becuase they are bored?!

What arrestable offence was the guy alledged to have commited that resulted in the forced entry and restraint?
There has to be a warrant but the officers don't need it in their possession - just knowledge that it exists.

No idea on the offence as it's not listed - hence the one half of the story.
Old 24 May 2005, 04:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

There has to be a warrant but the officers don't need it in their possession - just knowledge that it exists.

No idea on the offence as it's not listed - hence the one half of the story.
Well well, under PACE Section 8 - I thought

The police are supposed to enter at a reasonable hour, unless this would “frustrate the purpose of the search”. They must identify themselves and supply the occupier with a copy of the warrant. If there is no person present on the premises at the time, the police must leave a copy of the warrant in a prominent place. After the search has finished, the police must return it to the magistrates’ court where it was issued, where it must be retained for 12 months, during which period the occupier has a right to inspect it.
http://www.freebeagles.org/articles/...4/lb4-7.html#1
Old 24 May 2005, 04:27 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Well well, under PACE Section 8 - I thought
True, but section 8 of PACE isn't the only area covering warrants.

Try S17 allowing entry to:

Execute an arrest warrant or warrant of commitment

arrest for an arrestable offence

arrest for specified offence

recapture any person unlawfully at large

save life or limb or prevent serious damage to property

All you need to leave is a form explaining the occupiers' rights.

It would be pretty silly and inflexible for police officers who have just seen an escaped murderer enter a house to have to trawl around trying to find a hard copy of a bit of paper to give to the occupier after they've smashed down the door LOL.

You can enter premises to execute a warrant commiting a person to prison.

The power of entry to execute a commitment warrant does not require you to have the warrant in your possession, but you must know that it exists.

This applies warrants arising from ANY criminal proceedings.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 24 May 2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 24 May 2005, 04:36 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It would be pretty silly and inflexible for police officers who have just seen an escaped murderer enter a house to have to trawl around trying to find a hard copy of a bit of paper to give to the occupier after they've smashed down the door LOL.
OK I follow all that. I'm just trying to figure the scenario out with this chap. It would suggest if they didn't have a warrant, there was one issued somewhere. I just didn't get the impression that they were "hot on his heels" as it were, when they came kicking at the door, but I could be wrong.
Old 24 May 2005, 04:38 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

OK I follow all that. I'm just trying to figure the scenario out with this chap. It would suggest if they didn't have a warrant, there was one issued somewhere. I just didn't get the impression that they were "hot on his heels" as it were, when they came kicking at the door, but I could be wrong.
Non-payment of fines is the usual one for getting your door smashed in. Either that or failing to appear in court.

I'd put a bet on either of those considering the man's position.....
Old 24 May 2005, 04:42 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Non-payment of fines is the usual one for getting your door smashed in. Either that or failing to appear in court.

I'd put a bet on either of those considering the man's position.....
OK - sorry for all the questions, but helped me get an idea of what the otherside of the story may be.
Old 24 May 2005, 04:44 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

No worries. It confuses me

You'd be surprised how many 10000s of people there are with these types of warrants out against them - many of them don't even realise it until you knock on their door.
Old 24 May 2005, 04:47 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Does indeed look like he was wanted for unpaid fines and not turning up at court...

Post from David Edgar 1/2 way down the page
Old 24 May 2005, 05:00 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Im confused - what were they "visiting" him for? Was he an innocent man being "visited" for doing his daily crossword or was it because he is linked to something illegal? There's too much text on the "In the beginning" page for someone who's only half interested!!
Also if the campaign that this website is supporting is purely to do with speed camera innacuracies then why dedicate its homepage to the policemen who were caught speeding and let off - surely if speed cameras in the UK are so cr@p then maybe these policemen where complying with the speed limit - thus this website should be getting them onside?
If the cameras are innacurate then they should be compiling a foolproof way of being able to scientifically prove it and then "helping" the government / gatso manufacturers by delivering a solution, not suggesting you can "convert an NIP to RIP" by suggesting anyone who's been nicked fights a case by writing to a someone who cant go to court. Which is where you'll go anyway with this poxy letter stuck betwix ya legs!! Its not as funny a site as Safespeed (more fun than miniclip.com) but still v.humerous .
Anyhoo - back to thread - so if he is a law breaker then the police might not have time to consider his health if they deem him to be a threat to them - judging by his kitchen cabinets, I for one would have taken no chances!
P
Old 24 May 2005, 05:28 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Well I just sent him an email of support. I hope that some of you also consider taking the time to encourage the poor chap. He is fighting a very hard uphill battle, and needs all of the support that he can get.
Old 24 May 2005, 09:58 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

What an totally inappropriate use of police time and effort

If he was a multi-zillion pound drug baron about to flush the evidence down the pan, or a terrorist lighting the blue touchpaper on a ricin rocket then maybe, just maybe, such over the top behaviour could be justified.

...but a "disagreement" over a sixty quid speeding ticket taken by a dodgey camera - sheeeeesh

I hope heads roll in the WM police force over this one

mb
Old 24 May 2005, 10:02 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Ain't going to happen for a long time. If it ever does.

His next step is to go to the European Court of human rights. Assuming he manages to win that (in however many years it takes to get heard), then he will have to start to fight again over here.

I don't think that much will happen, but I do hope that it does. Like I say, I've mailed my support to him, and had a reply
Old 25 May 2005, 09:29 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Until he proves otherwise he broke the law. Simple.

He's either a champion of liberty for motorists or a sad dillusional old man with nothing better to do.

Until someone can demonstrate that he is correct, the jury is out on that one.

I don't know of ANYONE who has been done by a gatso who was NOT speeding at the time.
Old 25 May 2005, 09:40 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diablo
Certainly seems to be the case these days, you are assumed guilty in relation to traffic offences and you have to prove you are innocent, rather than the Police actually having to present all the evidence; photos, calibration certificates etc etc and prove that you are guilty. It's a sad state of affairs.
Old 25 May 2005, 09:45 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

I'm not referring to the original offence Olly, but the fact he either dodged a fine or a court appearance.

has to be the same for everyone - what if that was a mugger who had dodged a fine or a court appearance, what would everyone be saying now?
Old 25 May 2005, 09:46 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

I don't know of ANYONE who has been done by a gatso who was NOT speeding at the time.
You do now - http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/detail.a...ews&id=5354285
Old 25 May 2005, 09:49 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I don't think that it is fair to say that he has dodged a fine when he is currently in the appeals process.

It is also clear that the government do not want his evidence heard regarding the speed cameras overreading, as they have consistently denied him from presenting it in court. Hence he is now off to the European Courts.

I think he could do with more than a little support in his quest to try and sort this out. He should be at least able to present his evidence.
Old 25 May 2005, 10:07 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

it has been confirmed that over 80% of Gatsometers are measuring 0.63 seconds instead of the 0.50 seconds thus creating an error of 26% which is well outside the tolerance range that UK Type Approval specifications permit
http://www.notsoaccurate.com/Page%204.htm
Old 25 May 2005, 10:20 AM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

Regardless of what he was arrested for isnt it abit extreme to drag an old man who has just had a heart attack out in handcuffs and be dropped so hard he becomes unconcious?
Old 25 May 2005, 10:51 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm not referring to the original offence Olly, but the fact he either dodged a fine or a court appearance.

has to be the same for everyone - what if that was a mugger who had dodged a fine or a court appearance, what would everyone be saying now?
Going off what fatherpierre stated in an earlier post, nobody would be saying anything, as we wouldn't know about it, because nobody has bothered pursuing it

I to have sent a message of support to this man, and also e-mailed a lnk to the Top Gear website in the hope that JC and team will publicise this case
Old 25 May 2005, 10:57 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You can enter premises to execute a warrant commiting a person to prison.

The power of entry to execute a commitment warrant does not require you to have the warrant in your possession, but you must know that it exists.

This applies warrants arising from ANY criminal proceedings.

I may be being a bit slow here but do any of the above reasons really apply in this particular case? Or is it just another example of how we the gullible public are allowing Bliar's government to establish a police state, where all critiscism of state activity is stiffled
Old 25 May 2005, 12:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

At the very least, if we are to be accused of speeding through the use of radar controlled cameras, then the equipment should be absolutely accurate and not biased in favour of the accusation. This gentleman is doing his best to protect our rights and should be applauded for that.

That description of what those police officers did to him is truly awful. To assault an elderly and ill man in such a manner is nothing short of disgraceful.

I sincerely hope he does not get the same treatment as David Kelly!

Les
Old 25 May 2005, 12:42 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I hope I don't live in the same country as you Diablo, as normally you're innocent until proven guilty in the UK.

J.

Quick Reply: David Edgar's arrest ?