Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ethics Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2005, 09:10 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ethics Question ?

We recently aquired a new MD. Seems a good chap, when he arrived he did all the right things and made all the right sounds and still does to be fair

One of the major things he did was to create "Heads of Department". Now, a few weeks ago there was an influx of new faces to which "Our Team" were allocated a new bod who's immediate boss is in "our team" but ultimatley reports to a "head of department". The Head of department emailed the new bod today and requested and i quote "Can you check up on *********'s last months figures and tell me whether or not what he reported was strictly in accordance with all the back up data" he went on to say that none of the "checking up" be leaked to the immediate boss and the fact that he had gone on holiday for a week was a good opportunity to do the checking.

So is this ethical. Firstly why is he being so sneaky if he is only doing his job. Surely ferreting around while your backs turned only serves to cause tension. Why has he put the new bod under such pressure, he's in a lose lose situation. The bod came to me with his dilemma but i couldnt really advise him other than question the Heads strange request.

I am part of a team that has been profitable consistently for the last 5 years and the team leader has been instrumental in achieving that goal. So much so that if he is being set up to be some sort of fall guy, i would leave.

So any advice which may help me help him, btw new "bod" is a good bloke and wants to be part of the team and he fits in perfectly but all this is causing some major worries with me as i can see the "underlings" getting restless if this leaks out
Old 23 May 2005, 11:58 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

My advise would be to do the research and as long as there is no glaring evidence of the absentee submitting misleading reports confirm back to the new MD that "Absentee" had submitted in accordance with back up data.

Remember - There are lies, Damn lies and Statistics.

You can make numbers tell many different tales depending on how you look at them. I mean - Look at the recent General Election.

The new MD is unlikely to trawl thru data so new bod is safe as long as there is no obvious cover up (in which case the absentee deserves whats coming), He has asked new bod as he feels that the new bod is less likely to have formed any close working bond yet and is less likely to cover up perhaps ??
Old 24 May 2005, 03:07 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

Okay, strange thing happened this morning. New bod is away for the day and unattainable. This afternoon everyone in the team got an email from Department head which, is a cut down version of the email new bod got, but without the bit about saying "dont let anyone know you are doing it"

All very strange, not sure if new bod told him that he wouldnt do it in a "underhand" way and hence the "covering tracks" saga
Old 24 May 2005, 03:31 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Office politics, dont u just love it Surprised your team is proftiable at all, with all that going on behind the scenes
Old 24 May 2005, 08:31 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Office politics, dont u just love it Surprised your team is proftiable at all, with all that going on behind the scenes
LOL yes i see what you mean but as i said in the first post, all this is a new setup being imposed on a good team, i cant really imagine why they would need to investigate it
Old 24 May 2005, 08:40 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

um they're justifying your budget and team I guess in preparation for voluntary redundancies?
Old 24 May 2005, 08:43 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

It gets more like "the office" everyday