Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone else experienced an influx of new immigrant workers.

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2005, 08:12 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone else experienced an influx of new immigrant workers.

Last month a company we contract out to took on two Polish drivers.
Last week one of them brought a friend in who had just arrived,also from Poland.
We took on a lad from Portugal three months ago.One month later he brought his cousins over.
Today i go into work and we have taken on 28 temporary workers from Latvia,Czech republic,Estonia,Lithuania and Poland.

Talking to the Polish guy,his wife earnt £100 per month in Poland,now she works at Tesco and earns £120 a week,and loves it.

None of the women are fat and they work damm hard.The biggest problem is the security guard,spelling all their names on the sign in sheets....

Sign of the times i guess.
Old 22 May 2005, 08:55 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

They generally work hard and are nice people. My wife is Polish...

Steve
Old 22 May 2005, 09:06 PM
Big Col
Scooby Regular

i've worked in large manufacturing facilities for over 10 years and until recently i've only seen a handful of foreigners. However I've recently moved to a new company that has loads of immigrants mainly from Africa.

The majority of them are lazy, useless and don't attempt to integrate with the other workers.
Old 22 May 2005, 09:06 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

We have lots of polish bus drivers in town now-they seem very polite and happy to help-unlike the usual locals they had trouble employing before!Also have a romanian woman working in landscaping with me and her work really cant be faulted-she works harder than alot of the blokes ive been sent in the past though her driving needs improvement to say the least!
Old 22 May 2005, 09:33 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

One of best my friends is a slovakian girl who is clever, a super hard worker and a really nice person (she's a fox too).

Her brother is an expert carpenter and was recently working over here (legitimately) assembling flat packed furniture, doing that he was earning twice what he was getting in slovakia for being a craftsman making furniture by hand from pieces of wood. Wasted talent.

I can only speak for the ones I've met, but if I had a company I'd hire people like that like a shot (and pay them UK wages). They're reliable and trustworthy.

Old 22 May 2005, 09:35 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Got quite a few migrants from eastern europe and from china korea etc come into my 6th form.
Old 22 May 2005, 09:54 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

The company i have just left had loads...

the ones from the eastern states worked hard and made an effort to integrate with the workforce...

the ones from other african states made no efffort to integrate , and like a similar ,post dont exactly pull there weight!! apart from strutting round in the gang !!! not hard to spot them either... baseball caps leather jackets Nike trainers!!!

M
Old 22 May 2005, 10:08 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

I drive LGV's for a mahoosive logistics company on my days off. I always used to think I was used to how multi-cultural this country was, until I went to drive for this lot.

Each zone in the warehouse has a translator so the loaders can understand what the drivers are on about. They either don't speak English or are too fecking ingorant to speak it. Mos, if not all of the ones I've dealt with of are lazy, rude and ignorant.

The loading supervisor keeps daring me to shout "Immigration" to see what happens

Last edited by TDT; 22 May 2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 22 May 2005, 11:04 PM
sprinterjdk
Scooby Newbie

I work for a large logistics company at a site in south Essex. We currently employ about 40 Polish staff through an agency which flies them over and gives them accomodation locally. All speak good english, are in their twenties, degree educated, hard working and friendly. Hard to fault them, especially the ladies
Old 22 May 2005, 11:26 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

We get a huge variety of non-uk originated workers & would have to say that for the most part, they are as hard working as any uk originated if not harder. Generally less trouble too in terms of willingness.

[for the purpose of this post, Gossy is not included either by definition or inference in any way ]
Old 22 May 2005, 11:44 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I dont really see any problem with Eastern European immigrants in general - many are here on 2year visa's so plan on returning home after earning shed loads here. The ones Ive met tend to be very hard working, and dont go round demanding we change our laws/culture to accomodate theirs.

Some of the Polish birds are pretty damn fine too
Old 22 May 2005, 11:47 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Honest opinion? i wish they were all deported back to where they came from!

Its making it harder and harder for decent ENGLISH people to get a job when they walk off the boat and get offered a new house/job and we get put to the bottom of the pile
Old 23 May 2005, 08:39 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.Manchester

Its making it harder and harder for decent ENGLISH people to get a job when they walk off the boat and get offered a new house/job and we get put to the bottom of the pile
What ****. If the local english were prepared to work hard like the immigrants then there wouldn't be the jobs for them to 'take' in the first place. This is all the 'english's own doing. If you're prepared to do an honest days work then you've got no problem.
Old 23 May 2005, 08:42 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Well someone has to pay for all the lazy English home grown "talent" - might aswell be the Polish as anyone else.

They might give us more votes in the next Eurovision contest
Old 23 May 2005, 09:21 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

if you work hard you go far, does not matter where you come from IMO
i would employ these foriegn people as well given the choice between UK and elsewhere

to many lazy people in this country IMO

Old 23 May 2005, 09:45 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Total horse manure. I wouldn't give anyone a job preference based on their passport, and I don't see that any decent manager would either. The English are generally too fecking proud and lazy to do the jobs or hours these guys do. Personally I wish all the English on the dole were deported back to where the immigrants came from. THEN you'd put the Great back in front of Britain!
Old 23 May 2005, 09:48 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Building firm in the next unit to me has loads of Latvians working there.
Talking to the boss the other week he was saying they are the hardest working most reliable lads he's ever employed. He went the Latvian route because he couldn't find any hard working, reliable tradesmen locally. These guys arrive on site early, work their @rses off all day and then always tidy up the site before going home for the night!
He pays then the going rate, no cutting back, so the Latvian workers are very happy!

Bob
Old 23 May 2005, 09:51 AM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

I guess the Government are going to be generating serious ammounts of tax and N.I of these people, so if it goes to pay for all theose lazy gits on benefits who 'don't want to work then I'm cool with that, as long as the immigrants integrate with society, but I guess thats up to soceity.
Old 23 May 2005, 09:55 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Cyberevo
as long as the immigrants integrate with society
I work with a Brit who's lived here for 6 years. Bought a house in the "expat" district, works in English, says can't be bothered to learn the local lingo as there's no point, can live here without knowing it. Just about knows how to direct a taxi and that's it. Will be here for another 4 as well, due to contract length - there's no question of "I might leave next week". There are many, many like him.

As usual when I hear about immigrants in the UK, I'd be pleased to see the Brits behaving the same way when they emigrate. Curiously, they don't seem to.
Old 23 May 2005, 09:59 AM
RAZ492
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I worked as a recruitment consultant in London and the main staff supply was East Europeans. They worked damn hard, never complained and were always there ready for a days graft. As i can remember they did not like having days off :-S !!!!!!!!!!!

One of the places where they worked the owner classed them as a god send as he couldn't keep hold of British staff and as soon as they could they would bugger off and receive all the benefits of sick/holiday pay !!!!!!!!!!

Lastly the owner now has his own production factory in Lithuania and is living it up there too !!!!!!!!!!!

RAZ
Old 23 May 2005, 11:11 AM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
I work with a Brit who's lived here for 6 years. Bought a house in the "expat" district, works in English, says can't be bothered to learn the local lingo as there's no point, can live here without knowing it. Just about knows how to direct a taxi and that's it. Will be here for another 4 as well, due to contract length - there's no question of "I might leave next week". There are many, many like him.

As usual when I hear about immigrants in the UK, I'd be pleased to see the Brits behaving the same way when they emigrate. Curiously, they don't seem to.
I don't disagree.
Old 23 May 2005, 11:14 AM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

My brother owns a residential care home and he is now taking on hard working eastern european girls as they respect the old people and work very hard without moaning and taking the pi$$. He nearly lost his business to some dumb as bitch that worked for him as she was telling the old people to f'uckoff and worse! and she was english...

Plus he says they are fit and the old boys are starting to get randy
Old 23 May 2005, 11:17 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

You sound like many of the Germans when they kicked up a fuss about the 'Gastarbeiter' problem in the 80s. If some English people weren't lazy and thought they were owed a living, there wouldn't be jobs for migrants to have and likely they wouldn't come over. Nobody owes you a job, a house or a car, you have to work for it is and this is what the Poles, Slovaks et are doing. Good for them - you'd probably be the first to complain about queues in the shops for lack of staff, bins not emptied etc
Old 23 May 2005, 11:18 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Without getting racist, Eatern Europeans are generally hard working and more to the point willing to work. I'm sure it will change unfortunately.

Certain other nationalities will come to this country (illegally) to take benefits and healthcare without contributing to society.

Steve
Old 23 May 2005, 11:21 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Big Col
i've worked in large manufacturing facilities for over 10 years and until recently i've only seen a handful of foreigners. However I've recently moved to a new company that has loads of immigrants mainly from Africa.

The majority of them are lazy, useless and don't attempt to integrate with the other workers.

My neighbour services fork lifts for a major co all over the midlands, He is now emmigrating back to the States with his family as he says the same. He cannot see a future in this country.

BTW his wife and kids are British and hold Brisitsh passports, they never had any intentions of this until around 12 months ago!
Old 23 May 2005, 12:21 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big Col

Hmmm - I wonder what they think of us?

Having just spent a week in Indonesia, it got me thinking. I was out there with a colleague doing an audit and assessment for one of our customers. What it cost to send us out there for a week and produce the report is more than the entire salary budget for the local IT dept for a year! - And these guys are the lucky ones in, by Jakarta standards, with well paid jobs.

I didn't get much of a chance to look around - working very long hours and fighting severe jetlag were bad enough. However, one night we went out for a meal in one of the well known ex-pat bars. The comment 'The majority of them are lazy, useless and don't attempt to integrate with the other workers.' could easily be applied to the Westerners! Granted, it is a totally different culture and language - but that is exactly how the immigrant workers who work in the UK feel. Is it any real surprise that they like to stick together?

On a separate note, I think the employment outlook is very bleak for many countries in Europe. The vast pool of cheap labour in Eastern Europe and South East Asia (there are 250million people in Indonesia alone) is going to make it very difficult for Western European countries to compete. As the '3rd world' countries develop, then even so-called skilled services jobs will start to disappear from Europe - look at what is happening in the IT industry in India.

I don't see it getting any easier...
Old 23 May 2005, 02:20 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Immigrants on the whole are always going to be more hard working than Brits. Anyone who is prepared to come to another country for their living is going to have a certain mentality anyway. If Brits had the chance to go to another country where they could earn up to 10 times or more their normal wage for doing the same thing they'd probably be working just as hard.
Old 23 May 2005, 02:28 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by gsm1
Immigrants on the whole are always going to be more hard working than Brits. Anyone who is prepared to come to another country for their living is going to have a certain mentality anyway. If Brits had the chance to go to another country where they could earn up to 10 times or more their normal wage for doing the same thing they'd probably be working just as hard.
What we need to find is another country willing to pay lazy ******* to sit on their ***** all day more than we are - but we'd still have to pay for their flights !
Old 23 May 2005, 04:09 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
What we need to find is another country willing to pay lazy ******* to sit on their ***** all day more than we are - but we'd still have to pay for their flights !
Maybe stick them on an abandoned, slightly contaminated, island somewhere, install loads of cameras and tell them it's Big Brother 6. Problem solved and cheap TV.

Quick Reply: Anyone else experienced an influx of new immigrant workers.