Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should I claim off the council ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2005, 12:41 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I claim off the council ?

At the back of my house is a shared access single track unmade road which leads to the streets' garages. At both ends there are council footpaths (the road is a right of way for pedestrians) and along the road are streetlamps. The problem has been that when the bin wagon goes up the road, it churns it all up and is making access to the garages very tricky. Sod's law the worst bit is right outside my garage so I wondered if I could get the council to contribute to the cost of repairing it, since it was their 10 ton truck thats been causing the damage. According to the land registry, each bit of road belongs to each respective property so I figured on just repairing the part outside my house.

I emailed the council who were typically unhelpful and very keen to pass the buck. After several more emails and some photos I was eventually told they would make a one-off delivery of 4 tons of scalpings but I would have to arrange for all the prep work and rolling at my own expense. I got a groundworker friend of mine to have a look and cost it out and he reckoned it would take a load more than 4 tons and a fair bit of work to sort it out, costing around £800.

Has anyone else had experience of this sort of thing, should I try and take it further with the council / refuse dept. or just cough up ? I'm just worried that if I do get it fixed the damn wagon will just destroy it again.
Old 14 May 2005, 11:44 AM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Why does the bin wagon need to go along the track if it's only a right of way for pedestrians ?