Ebay's feedback system stinks!

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2005, 02:39 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay's feedback system stinks!

Bit miffed, tbh.

I buy 2 separatye items from the same seller using "buy it now" and instantly pay using Paypal.

Items are delivered however one falls to pieces upon taking it out of the box (it IS new, but relatively poor in quality).

I email explaining this.

Nothing

I again email, explaining - also linking to screenshots.

Nothing

I email 3 more times, the final one warning I will be forced to give bad feedback due to non-contact.

Nothing.

I leave one good (for the item that was ok) feedback, and one negative (for the lack of replies)

I then get a bad feedback rating back, stating I should have phoned! wtf?

I'm balled off with people like this. I paid quickly and with no fuss, it was their fault the goods were sub-standard. Yet, I get penalised by the system.

Got to work out what to do with the bits now. I thought about filling them full of something and posting them back ....oooops did I just say that?
Old 09 May 2005, 02:51 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Old 09 May 2005, 04:57 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

I agree, there needs to be a better system. Especially as eBay relys so heavily on feedback. But what other ways are there?
Old 09 May 2005, 05:02 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Very similar thing happened to me Burr.

Bought an item, however the seller sent the wrong size.

Emailed dozens of times, no reply.

Was about to leave feedback and found that ebay gives you contact details to try and resolve. I phoned and got the seller, who agreed to accept the item in return and send the correct size.

I retuned the item and about 4 weeks late the ORIGINAL item arrived back on my doorstep!!!

Again, no reply to emails or phone so I left negative feedback and what do they do?

Left ME negative feedback and then closed their ebay account!

I now have 1 negative feedback due to this arsehole, and stuck with an item that is no good to me......

Swines....
Old 09 May 2005, 05:21 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

it happened to me once, now when i intend to give a bad feedback i give them it 1 day before it is expired (60 days i think)

one thing that pisses me off is this

the seller should give good feedback as soon as they receive payment promptly
bad feedback if payment was not given,
and NOT wait until the buyer receives the item and wait for their feedback first.

the buyer should give good feedback if they receive the item as described in the time expected
give bad feedback if item is not what it is , faulty,
not give bad feedback because they didn't read the whole auction description and blame the seller for misleading them.

i have a new account bought over 10 items, gave 7 good feedbacks (ignored the rest) as i only got 5 feedbacks on mine,
some of these people can't be bothered SO why should I?

the sellers have the cheek, in when they send the item; to ask YOU to give feedback first then will give one back

yeah right, **** off!
Old 09 May 2005, 05:39 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

But~ you can leave an explanation as to why you had to leave negative feedback, so the world and his wife can see the full story.
Old 09 May 2005, 05:44 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Burr,I have heard of people emailing Ebay and getting wrong negs removed.You could try it,if you can find their email address.
Old 09 May 2005, 05:52 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Unfortuately you get the quality and the service that you pay for. Sometimes you don't even get what you pay for on e-bay. I got into E-bay for a while but I will only use it now for collectables, low value goods, things that are not available anywhere else. Unfortunately people get hooked on it and get ripped off.

The tit for tat feedback is crap. Sellers won't even leave feedback until you have left them some even if you paid instantly.

Is it worth having two accounts? - one for buyng, one for selling. Build up good feedback on one where you have done honest deals with people as the seller, which is where it is more important to have good feedback. Use the other one for giving negative feedback if you bought from a rip off merchant and if he leaves you neagtive then just register a new account for next time.
Old 09 May 2005, 05:53 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

True,it does seem to be going downhill.
I use it a lot less than i used to.
Old 09 May 2005, 06:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only negative feedback was after I left negative feedback (after attempts to resolve the issue) for a duff item as well.
Old 09 May 2005, 08:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Burr- You should do a PayPal chargeback, simple. The seller (if a business) has a duty by law (as I'm sure you know) to replace faulty merchandise at their cost.

Even under the Distance Selling Regs you have the right to send it back for a refund even if you just don't want it anymore. Every seller should have their own T&C's too if they don't want to have to refund return postage in such a case.

You should go to your eBay Dispute console and file an "Item Not As Described".

You can also ask eBay to clear the -ve feedback by mutual consent.

wwp8- The transaction is not complete until the buyer receives the item. It's all well and good saying feedback from the seller should be left as soon as the buyer pays, but if that's the case then buyers are free to write any garbage after delivery without trying to resolve it first. Once a buyer leaves feedback a business seller assumes all was delivered and is well.

Incidentally I sell in a largely superb category and do leave feedback after payment but I'm only quoting what fellow sellers are constantly saying that sell in predominantly numptie categories.

Also, as said lots of times, some of the big sellers have their software automatically set to leave feedback at certain trading points, so a delay in receiving feedback might be expected.

PLUS, feedback is after all said and done, optional. It is not a requirement.

eBay is superb for the right products, unfortunately it has and will have it's fair share of outright fraudsters. That's called life in general. I speak from great experience here, believe me, and it wasn't eBay related.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 09 May 2005, 09:11 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Put your email address into the feedback reply, then tell ebay to remove your email address, they can't remove just the address, so they remove the whole feedback, has worked for me in the past. But they do remove his bad feedback for the item too.

Get your own back by emailing his high bidders on his items telling them what he did to you, hoping they'll withdraw their bid, thus teaching him a lesson
Old 09 May 2005, 09:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this problem, bought a Yu-Gi-oh card on request of my seven year old, 7.50 for a bloody card but he mithered and bought it with his own money, its a fake, many emails back and forsth and he said stuff like 'I didnt say it was genuine', eventually agreed to refund, no cheque has arrived, I dont want to give bad feedback as he will return the favour, obviously not fussed about the six quid but it is annoying I could lose my 100% feedback because some scammer decides to take offence at me wanting the real item and not a p1ss poor fake.

He was upset I contacted some other buyers of his and asked then to check what they had bought, saying I was making trouble for him, starts going on about it being his son with cerebral palsy. Think I may report the ****** for selling counterfeit goods.
Old 09 May 2005, 09:45 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

When selling I always wait for the buyer to leave feedback first. If I'm buying I'll always leave it first. This is essential because there are a lot of idiots out there who will leave negatives or neutrals without even making any contact with the seller.
Old 09 May 2005, 10:32 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
the seller should give good feedback as soon as they receive payment promptly
bad feedback if payment was not given,
and NOT wait until the buyer receives the item and wait for their feedback first.
Agree wholeheartedly.

How often does a seller leave feedback before they have had the chance to see what you say about them?

They always wait till you leave them feedback and then they react to yours, which is pish.

There should be a requirement for the seller to leave the feedback immediately, as soon as payment is made, and the buyer should not be able to leave feedback until the seller has done so.
Old 10 May 2005, 08:38 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yep that does fall fown on the feedback. I had 1 but the guy was listed as 'not a registered user' so I complained to ebay (it was the only -ve I had) and got it removed!

Gary
Old 10 May 2005, 09:15 AM
3times
Scooby Regular

get the sellers contact details from Ebay (address etc)..............................then when in the area............................!!!!!
Old 10 May 2005, 09:31 AM
ChrisC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I am really "fed up" with my last purchase on E-bay.
Won an auction and was then told by the seller that "the goods are on backorder" only to find that they were still running an auction for the same product!!
I complained by e-mail and got no response.
I asked two weeks later if the goods were still on back order - no answer.
So beware of the UK Canon outlet aka digitalriver.com!
Auction won on 19th April - no goods yet and no response. Only thing is that they have not taken the money.
Old 10 May 2005, 12:32 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by talizman
Agree wholeheartedly.

How often does a seller leave feedback before they have had the chance to see what you say about them?

They always wait till you leave them feedback and then they react to yours, which is pish.

There should be a requirement for the seller to leave the feedback immediately, as soon as payment is made, and the buyer should not be able to leave feedback until the seller has done so.
The transaction is not complete until the buyer has received the goods. What better way is there to let the seller know than by leaving feedback?

Too many people seem to think the feedback is a right as soon as they have paid when in actual fact it's optional anyway.

It will always appear a "them versus us" while people have that mentality, instead of a grown-up transaction between 2 adults.

Unfortunately too many árseholes operate on eBay for it to completely work the way it should, and there doesn't appear to be much of an alternative.

Fortunately the árseholes don't understand my category and so it's bótty hole free.
Old 10 May 2005, 01:11 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
The transaction is not complete until the buyer has received the goods. What better way is there to let the seller know than by leaving feedback?

Too many people seem to think the feedback is a right as soon as they have paid when in actual fact it's optional anyway.
Agreed 100%
Im still waiting on several from ages ago- when they leave it, I leave it. Simple as that.
Old 10 May 2005, 03:48 PM
VaTaNeN
Scooby Regular

The problem with the feedback system rubs both ways.

I’m a heavy seller on EBay and have several thousand positive feedback with only 2 negatives. I leave Feedback at the point of despatch, as it’s a handy tool to let you know at a glance that it’s gone when people chase delivery, etc. The problem with doing this upfront is that you then leave yourself *wide open* to abuse by buyers; many of whom will almost resort to blackmail in order to try and get them to leave positive feedback for you.

Whilst I am fully aware there are many rogue traders selling on EBay, they by no means make up for the amount of complete and utter numpties as buyers, who have no clue whatsoever about how the system is actually supposed to work, and have never even bothered to read the terms and conditions before bidding/buying/complaining/throwing toys out of pram.

In the past I have had people leave me bad feedback for some utterly ridiculous reasons;

1. One person claimed 49p postage was ‘extortionate’ (even though all my P&P charges are clearly stated *in advance* on all my listings.)

2. “Fantastic Item and fast delivery – but not really what I wanted” - left bad feedback

3. One person left me bad feedback because he did not like the courier who delivered his order. Apparently the driver woke him up too early in the morning.

4. One person left me bad feedback because I refused to send out his item to a foreign address after he’d only paid for UK delivery.

5. Got left bad feedback by one Muppet who neglected to tell me that his delivery address had changed from that on his eBay/Pay Pal account. After it was returned the first time I contacted him to confirm details and he gave me the wrong address *twice more* before realising he had given me his old address, then took the hump because I asked him to pay another £2.00 P&P for it to be sent out a *forth* time – after I’d already paid for it to be sent out three times!!

6. Had one woman leave me bad feedback because Royal Mail did not leave the package with her neighbour whilst she was out!

The list is endless. Luckily, by following the proper procedures with eBay you can get most of them removed.

The worst ones are the non payers. When I eventually file non paying bidder alert, they whinge to eBay saying the seller has not contacted them, blah, blah, blah. The problem is that on many peoples email accounts, contact via eBay gets channelled straight into junk or bulk folders – and you would not believe how many people don’t know they even have a junk mail folder!

And don’t get me started on the US. I’ve actually stopped selling stuff to the States now as I had literally hundreds who kicked off after winning the auction as they thought that…

A) They were bidding in dollars.
B) The “United Kingdom ONLY” postage rate included them, as the UK is part of the US.
C) They could change the item they had won for a better item after the auction had ended.

Sometimes it makes you want to cry.

So as I say, it’s not all down to sellers.

Having said that, if you have been stiffed as a buyer, and the seller is not responding, don’t keep waiting for correspondence that will never come - Get straight onto Ebay; by and large they are pretty good.

Julian
Old 10 May 2005, 06:53 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Sellers should leave feedback first. As a buyer I'm agreeing to buy some goods, so, if I win the auction and pay promptly then I've fullfiled my part of the contract so feedback should be left by the seller at that point. As a buyer once goods arrive, leave feedback.

It's that simple any other formats are quite simply wrong.
Old 10 May 2005, 08:45 PM
noxid
Scooby Regular

I have just heard that a dispute I logged with paypal 2 months ago has been decided in my favour. Bloke selling mudflaps, promised a refund if they didn't fit etc. When they arrived they were crap quality, no fixings not at all how described, so I sent them back the same day and e-mailed him to let him know. When no refund appeared after a week I sent him an e-mail and it was returned as he blocked all mail from my e-mail address to$$er.
I logged a dispute with paypal and got the money back eventually, it's a long process but worth it if it beats the tw@ts who try and rip people off.
If you paid by paypal you can log a dispute, as long as you have the goods and can prove they are damaged or not as described (by independant means) you stand a good chance of getting your money back.
Good luck. Log a dispute and don't let the tw@ts get away with it.
(Also if you see a thread on here about the same type of listing let everyone know and make him loose business)
Old 10 May 2005, 08:48 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattN
Sellers should leave feedback first. As a buyer I'm agreeing to buy some goods, so, if I win the auction and pay promptly then I've fullfiled my part of the contract so feedback should be left by the seller at that point. As a buyer once goods arrive, leave feedback.

Matt- As explained many times, it isn't that simple at all. The entire transaction IS NOT complete until the goods are safely in the hands of the buyer.

The buyer HAS NOT fullfilled his/her part of the contract for definite. What I mean by that is plenty of buyers DO NOT give correct address details, or they are out at time of delivery but think it OK to then blame the seller for non-delivery and proceed to either leave -ve feedback or blackmail the seller for free re-delivery.

Or they will leave -ve feedback knowing full well (with your scenario) that the buyer already has +ve feedback and there is sweet FA the seller can do.

I know from talking to other Powersellers that buyers have also given another address altogether on their re-delivery demands and then claim a chargeback once they have the goods. Sellers cannot get PayPal protection from this as it wasn't the supposedly "original" ( albeit false) address registered with PayPal that the goods were delivered to. Sellers lose the goods and the money.

The feedback system like anything else can work well between decent people.

With scum who use it to their advantage as a bargaining tool it can never work.

Solution - Ignore the feedback to a large extent and don't be bothered about receiving -ve through blackmail. You have to stick to safe trading methods first and foremost, especially if you are dealing a lot for your living.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:24 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattN

B*llocks

It doesnt end for the seller as soon as they receive the cash!
The number of times i have had people moan that records warp in the post, or it hasnt turned up (when its waiting for them at their post office to pick up), they bought the wrong record from not reading the description properly etc etc.... a million and one things can still go wrong after posting it- and as a seller you have to sort it out.

Transaction ends for the seller when
a) the buyer receives the item
b) leaves feedback to let me know this has happened- or contact me should their be a problem.

I agree totally with spoon- (I would be a fellow power seller but not eligible for reasons i wont bore you with) and the amount of retards with not a lot of common sense you encounter is quite high.

I leave feedback for sellers when items arrive, and I only leave feedback for buyers when they have left it for me- no exceptions.
Old 10 May 2005, 10:47 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Freak, don't call my opinion b*llocks. You can disgaree with me but let's keep it civil.

I personally don't leave feedback as a buyer until I have rec'd feedback from the seller. I've paid in a timely manor, I should get positive feedback. You deliver in a timely manor you get positive feedback. People will leave negative feedback for the most stupid reasons I agree, but that's not a fault of the system, it's the people you sell to.
Old 10 May 2005, 11:00 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Other considerations. I use a proof of delivery system. You use feedback?

Fact is you're using feedback as a POD system, which is not it's true purpose. Again you can't blame ebay for you not having a POD sytem in place and having to use a feature not designed for that function.

All that said, I'm selling a car on ebay and it's a f$cking nightmare. Ebay is full of muppets, and dumb muppets at that. Keeps the canvassers away though.

Have fun.

Last edited by MattN; 10 May 2005 at 11:01 PM. Reason: smiley
Old 10 May 2005, 11:22 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
B*llocks

It doesnt end for the seller as soon as they receive the cash!
The number of times i have had people moan that records warp in the post, or it hasnt turned up (when its waiting for them at their post office to pick up), they bought the wrong record from not reading the description properly etc etc.... a million and one things can still go wrong after posting it- and as a seller you have to sort it out.

Transaction ends for the seller when
a) the buyer receives the item
b) leaves feedback to let me know this has happened- or contact me should their be a problem.

I agree totally with spoon- (I would be a fellow power seller but not eligible for reasons i wont bore you with) and the amount of retards with not a lot of common sense you encounter is quite high.

I leave feedback for sellers when items arrive, and I only leave feedback for buyers when they have left it for me- no exceptions.
im still waiting for the goods off you a year later
Old 11 May 2005, 01:14 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ian_S
im still waiting for the goods off you a year later
It said in the auction no scouse bids accepted- if i make it to pv you can have it then.
You will definately have it before your car gets finished...........

Quick Reply: Ebay's feedback system stinks!