Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Twisted/pulled muscle in my neck - best treatment/fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2005, 11:06 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See a chiropractor - they're good with necks
Old 09 May 2005, 11:06 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Id guess a chiropracter (sp???) might be able to do the trick?
Old 09 May 2005, 11:07 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a cricked neck.

I usually find that massaging it and stretching it helps. Bruphen gel in some form or other may also help to easy the pain and act as a massaging lube as well. If it is still giving you trouble in a couple of days get yourself to your GP. They may recommend a physio or osteopath if it is still really bad, but always best to go through your GP first
Old 09 May 2005, 11:10 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Be careful with chiropracters. Some are fine, but if they so much as mention a "subluxation", walk out of the door. There is a lot of quackery in chriopractic and the origins of it are completely whacky. The more traditional ones think they can cure anything. The acceptable ones realise that by manipulating the spine they can provide some relieft to neck and back pain, and essentialy they do the same job as an osteopath. I'd still go to a GP first!
Old 09 May 2005, 11:13 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Chiropractor is the way to go if its bad.
If its just a pulled muscle then rest and time will heal.

IMHO don't waste your time with an osteopath, only a chiropractor is properly qualified to work on your neck/back. Get it wrong and it could end up a painful mistake.

I speak form personal experiance.

Bob ( a convertee to chiroprators! )
Old 09 May 2005, 11:22 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Be careful with chiropracters. Some are fine, but if they so much as mention a "subluxation", walk out of the door. There is a lot of quackery in chriopractic and the origins of it are completely whacky. The more traditional ones think they can cure anything. The acceptable ones realise that by manipulating the spine they can provide some relieft to neck and back pain, and essentialy they do the same job as an osteopath. I'd still go to a GP first!

Sorry but you are wrong in saying they are basically the same as an osteopath. Anyone can set up as an osteopath, the same can't be said for a chiropractor.
After wasting 18 months with GP's, physio, osteopath, I went privately to a (highly recommended) chiropractor who wouldn't lay a hand on me without doing x-rays first. The x-rays helped locate the problem and after a course of chiropractic treatment I was fully fit again!
Just to add, the GP/physio/osetopath did not do any x-rays on me so how the hell they knew what to do is beyond me, guess thats why they failed!

Bob
Old 09 May 2005, 11:28 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4X4BOB
Sorry but you are wrong in saying they are basically the same as an osteopath. Anyone can set up as an osteopath, the same can't be said for a chiropractor.
After wasting 18 months with GP's, physio, osteopath, I went privately to a (highly recommended) chiropractor who wouldn't lay a hand on me without doing x-rays first. The x-rays helped locate the problem and after a course of chiropractic treatment I was fully fit again!
Just to add, the GP/physio/osetopath did not do any x-rays on me so how the hell they knew what to do is beyond me, guess thats why they failed!

Bob
Chriopracters are not regulated either. About half do register with a professional body such as the BCA, but the same is true of osteopaths. Have a read about the origins of chriopractic and in particular "subluxations". If you get one of the subluxation crew they think you have a problem with your bodies "energies" and they can put it all right by means of spine manipulation. These chiroprcaters also belive they can cure "anything" not just joint / muscle issues.

You obviously got a good chiropracter, but in general, see a GP first, take their advice. If you choose to go elsewhere do some research. Lots of people claim wonderful things for homeopathy as well, but it still doesn't make it actually work.

Have a read here for a bit more on chiropracters.
Old 09 May 2005, 11:29 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Think you have that the wrong way round. The Osteopath has to be qualified medically, the chiropracter does not. About half of the chriopractors out there are registered with the BCA and have to have studied for at least 4 years (http://www.chiropractic-uk.co.uk/def...t+Chiropractic) You need to worry if you get one of the other 50% as having an untrained woo-woo messing with your spine is not to be recommended.
hmmm, I did some research on this before seeing a chiropractor, and found osteopaths could set up in business without "proper" training!
My chiroprator was registered and, as I found out later, was held in high regard by certain doctors.
He was the only one who could explain my problem, the reasons for it, and the way to treat it.
At the end of the day, the service I received from my chiropractor was excellent. The same could not be said of the others.

Its a few years since I went down this route so maybe I'm now out of date on all this?

Bob
Old 09 May 2005, 11:37 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

hmmm, I did some research on this before seeing a chiropractor, and found osteopaths could set up in business without "proper" training!
My chiroprator was registered and, as I found out later, was held in high regard by certain doctors.
He was the only one who could explain my problem, the reasons for it, and the way to treat it.
At the end of the day, the service I received from my chiropractor was excellent. The same could not be said of the others.

Its a few years since I went down this route so maybe I'm now out of date on all this?

Bob
I'm not saying "don't" use a chiropracter - just do some reasearch before hand. The same applied to osteopaths as well. It is just that "in general" osteopaths have cast off the non-scientific theory behind what they practice and focus on the fact that in certain conditions, SMT is highly effective for back pain. Chiropractics are not consider as main stream as osteopaths and many of them retain belief in the non-scientific origins, i.e. "energy imbalances" or "subluxations". While such people are about, you just need to take care, hence the warning - sorry if it came out as a blanket don't use chiropractic.
Old 09 May 2005, 11:37 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

scarf, n keep it warm
Old 09 May 2005, 11:39 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Bob
Osetopaths have had to be registered with a propefessional body since 1993 it would seem: http://www.osteopathonline.com/Professional/ostact.htm

So - osteopath or chiropractic - check their qualifications and make sure they are only claiming to work on you back / joints. Any mention of subluxations or ability to cure anything should set the alarm bells going!
Old 09 May 2005, 11:39 AM
m111usy
Scooby Newbie

sounds like trapped nerve....... i had one a few years back. Was combing my thatch when i got like a snapping sensation in my neck. Very painful.

Best bet would be a hot bath/shower to get some localised heat to the area, and it will ease the pain.Keep doing this untill the pain eventually goes.

Took about 1 week for mine to go. I couldnt turn/move my head for the whole time which was annoying. But got me a week off work
Old 09 May 2005, 11:40 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by super_si
scarf, n keep it warm
A pair of breasts do a better job
Old 09 May 2005, 11:49 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Take some ibuprofen
Old 09 May 2005, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about that B2Z, sounds like one of those things that only a bit of rest and patience will sort out. Its happened to me a few times in the past and usually goes off as long as you don't give it any more strain for a while.

Les
Old 09 May 2005, 01:19 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

I had a very similar problem. Hadn't sorted itself after a few days so went to chiropractor. Guy I saw defintiely seemed to know what he was doing - found the problem straight away. Did lots of things - and in the wrong hands I reckon they could be downright lethal! Next day felt a bit better but had a follow up appointments a few days later - he did a similar thing. 24 hours later I was in agony - every few minutes I could feel a pain welling up and then it would strike - just at base of my neck - I could bearely walk, let alone drive cos of the pain. Felt much better after a nights sleep - went to chiro one last time but it had pretty much sorted itself out by then.

Ian