Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RAC
Old 03 May 2005, 10:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brittania Rescue are the cheapest and the best IMO

AA would NEVER EVER get my money for ANYTHING - so, if not the above, RAC!

Pete
Old 03 May 2005, 11:19 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

AA - they're the only ones with a dedicated, well trained workforce. You want local monkeys to turn up and damage your motor, join the Raggy Arsed Cowboys or any other pretend motoring organisation.
Old 03 May 2005, 11:54 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

If you use Tescos...

Use your clubcard points to get RAC membership - £28 worth of points for both of us relay and recovery - worth looking into...

Mick
Old 04 May 2005, 07:33 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Sadly the RAC condone the use of speed camera, speed vans etc etc, In fact they would like to see more and heavier penalties. Nothing about improving road conditions or better policing. I have been a member for over twenty years. But because of their anti motorist stance I will be taking my money elsewhere.
Old 04 May 2005, 07:54 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

If you're in the SIDC you get a discount on AA membership, 15% IIRC.
Old 04 May 2005, 08:09 AM
MikeTheStrike
Scooby Regular

Sorry Gordo, I'm an RAC patrol and very proud of what I do. We are not cowboys.
Old 04 May 2005, 08:37 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Gave up on the RAC after many years of membership in our family and having waited on more than one occasion for over 3 hours for an RAC patrol to take a look at my broken down Lambretta, I thought it was time to change. Have now been an AA member for over 5 years and can honestly say I have been pleased with the service when I have needed it
Old 04 May 2005, 08:47 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Used to be in the RAC many years ago, but think they gave up on me after I suspended the membership (new car warranty). Going to take a look at Britannia this time around.

FMIC is looking good by the way
Old 04 May 2005, 09:17 AM
THE M25 FLYER
Scooby Regular

AA aren't the only ones with dedicated techs,RAC also have thier own dedicated patrols and they were recently voted No1 roadside assistance provider by JD Power.

TBH look closely at the cover provided by the company rather than just the price as some of the cheaper schemes can be a bit lacking, Mark RAC Patrol.
Old 04 May 2005, 09:33 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Warning on RAC - just remembered!

You are limited on the number of call outs! 4 IIRC ! - and sometimes they get it wrong!
I had one incident that involved a few calls to sort out - a few days later I got a letter from the RAC saying that I had used most of my call allowance and only had 1 call-out left for the whole of that year ! - "for the benefit of other users of the service!" - They don't put that in their advertising!!!!! 15 yrs of membership and about 5 call-outs in total - and then you get a letter like that, as though you're abusing the service - "makes my blood boil"

'Mr Angry from Purley'

Mick
Old 04 May 2005, 10:28 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
AA - they're the only ones with a dedicated, well trained workforce. You want local monkeys to turn up and damage your motor, join the Raggy Arsed Cowboys or any other pretend motoring organisation.
But can any of em do roadside repairs to modern cars anyway? Surely all they need to do is turn up with a trailer to take you home, its not plugs, points, dirty carb and coil anymore its all black box stuff if something goes wrong!

Gary
Old 04 May 2005, 11:04 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

yea i need to join one or the other. i assume if something goes wrong on the scoob its not going to be fixable at the side of the road, so i really want to know whos gonna get to me with a trailer the quickest, and has the quickest response time
Old 04 May 2005, 11:06 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Experienced the AA and Green Flag. Wouldn't touch the AA again. Green Flag were very good.
Old 04 May 2005, 11:07 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

been a member of both, aa always turned up quite quickly and usually did a very good job, except the one who failed to diagnose that my car had run out of petrol... and started talking about failed ecu's and all stuff like that! the only real problem was that the petrol guage had stopped working!!

never had to call out the RAC , all i know about them is that they are cheaper!
Old 04 May 2005, 11:22 AM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by suprabeast
been a member of both, aa always turned up quite quickly and usually did a very good job, except the one who failed to diagnose that my car had run out of petrol... and started talking about failed ecu's and all stuff like that! the only real problem was that the petrol guage had stopped working!!

never had to call out the RAC , all i know about them is that they are cheaper!
Shouldn't YOU have diagnosed you'd run out of petrol?!?!?!?!?
Old 04 May 2005, 11:28 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
well not really, i thought there was some in there and the car ticked over but wouldnt rev..
Old 04 May 2005, 11:29 AM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

I was a member of the AA for years, then they had a change of policy and wanted extra £££'s to cover me on my bike, the RAC didnt...

So, if you have a car and ride a bike the RAC's the better bet

Ive got to say I found both services more than OK...

the service from either depends on how busy they are when you need them and how skilled the patrol person(very PC) is at the end of the day..
Old 04 May 2005, 11:31 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by King RA
LOL "Yeah, you wouldn't believe it, 2 trackdays and 400 miles since I last filled up & still 1/2 a tank left! - Dunno why she won't start just now though?"

Tee Hee!

No offence intended, My wife will be the first to tell you I've run out of petrol on many occasions (even with the fuel guage working )

Mick
Old 04 May 2005, 12:22 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

My last dealings with the AA cost THEM a new engine, well 1/2 as Vauxhall paid for the other 1/2 on an Astra TDi work van.
Old 04 May 2005, 12:37 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by suprabeast
well not really, i thought there was some in there and the car ticked over but wouldnt rev..
, no excuses....you ballsed up!!!
Old 04 May 2005, 07:14 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

AA = Another Ar5ehole

RAC = Rescue Another ****
Old 04 May 2005, 09:45 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

RAC:

"Edmund King, director of the RAC Foundation, said that fewer traffic police meant that the most dangerous drivers, including those on drink or drugs, were less likely to be caught: “If cameras are working, why are overall deaths rising? We need a review of road safety policy to challenge the false assumption that speed is always the most important factor.”

AA:

"The AA Motoring Trust said that the low number of people disqualified under the “totting up rule” indicated that speed cameras were working."

Now, I must say that these are the most recent comments I have to hand from both organisations on road safety and driver persecution and they may not offer a true reflection of the overall company view of the issue. Even so my general impression is that the AA have tended to toe the Transport 2000/green nutter line while the RAC have more tendancy towards constructive road safety without persecution aimed at getting motorists off the roads. This would seem a bit like turkeys voting for Xmas on the part of the AA and so may reflect an inconsistency in the attitude of their spokesmen.
Old 05 May 2005, 08:14 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mick
Warning on RAC - just remembered!

You are limited on the number of call outs! 4 IIRC ! - and sometimes they get it wrong!
same with the AA IIRC
Old 05 May 2005, 08:17 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brybusa
the service from either depends on how busy they are when you need them and how skilled the patrol person(very PC) is at the end of the day..
true and unfortunately for me those on the scooter scene in the 80's/90's had a bad reputation for taking the "p" when it came to making a few small tweaks to the engine in order to get a free ride home from 'the 4th emergency service'. not me of course
Old 05 May 2005, 09:34 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

I am currently an RAC member, and a friend is with the AA. I think if all you want is a roadside repair or tow to the nearest garage then either will do. However if you want to get to your destination or home (AA Relay or RAC Rescue) then go with the RAC, because AA Relay is just that. They will take to the edge of their area and then you have to wait for another truck for the next leg and so on. The RAC take you all the way to your final destination in one hit. My friends car broke down in northern england, and to get home involved several changes in tow truck and each time it took around 30mins for the truck to arrive and the journey to resume.