Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are non-smokers better workers than smokers?

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2005, 06:19 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are non-smokers better workers than smokers?

Non-Smokers.

1.Concentrate on the job more
2.More relaxed attitude to work
3.Spend more time on the job
4.More intelligent
5.Dont smell

Smokers

1.Always thinking of the next *** break
2.Nervous and irritable
3.Always trying to "engineer" another chance for a ***
4.Thick,well you'd have to be to pay £3 or whatever it is to slowly kill yourself.
5.Reek of nicotine

Load of rubbish,or is there an element of truth in it?
Old 03 May 2005, 06:23 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

What a pile of ****.

You're turning into son of Lewis.
Old 03 May 2005, 06:36 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

Utter tosh, I smoke and my working day doesnt revolve around my next cigarette break.

I only smoke one at work, after lunch, and sometimes I'm so busy I have to cut my lunch break short so the ciggie goes out the window. If I do smoke one after lunch its on my own time, not company time.

Does missing my one worktime ciggie turn me into an irritable nicotene craving junkie? No.

And I think the generalisation about non-smokers being less intelligent is a stupid one frankly, plus if you're that intelligent you'd soon realise its nothing in the tobacco plant that causes cancer and switch to smoking untreated organic tobacco.

Do you think Aluminium Oxide and Cyanide naturally occur in tobacco smoke?

Last edited by Angry; 03 May 2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03 May 2005, 07:06 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I sometimes smoke when i go out. However, working with smokers is a nightmare. Constantly off for a *** when they should be working, leaving us non smokers to cover for them. Really p1sses me off.
Old 03 May 2005, 07:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

well obviously theres an element...............if you smoke it can linger on the clothes. I have to say when i worked for someone else the suggestion that i take up smokin in order to get a break peeded me off rather a lot.
Old 03 May 2005, 07:17 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Non-Smokers.

1.Concentrate on the job more (Dont think this applies)
2.More relaxed attitude to work (if you like/dislike your job, it wouldn't matter)
3.Spend more time on the job (maybe, depends what the job is)
4.More intelligent (why? person could be a alchoholic non smoker!)
5.Dont smell (that should be doesn't smell of SMOKE, some of our non-smokers stink!)

Smokers

1.Always thinking of the next *** break (not true, usually got the next one covered)
2.Nervous and irritable (why? are they giving up?)
3.Always trying to "engineer" another chance for a *** (not so much engineer, more "take the oppurtunity")
4.Thick,well you'd have to be to pay £3 or whatever it is to slowly kill yourself. (as against paying nearly a quid per litre for optimax when I could be buying diesel?)
5.Reek of nicotine (what if they smoke a pipe/cigars? and again my comment about body odours above, would rather smell smoke than b.o. on a person anyday.

Bit of a problem at our place of work though. We have let control of "smoke breaks" slip, managements fault, so people tend to go off whenever they feel like it. Not good.
All it needs is the big boss of our place to ratify the situation across all 4 shifts, early, late, night and weekend. NO SMOKE BREAKS. If you want a ***, take it off your main break, or wait till your main break, simple

chris.
Old 03 May 2005, 07:20 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I'm not surewhat difference the smell makes. I know plenty of non-smokers where I work with god-awful BO.

This is a ridiculous debate anyway. There are smokers who prop up companies and are the hardest workers going and there are workshy, lazy, non-smokers who do as little as possible during the working day and vice versa.

Trending Topics

Old 03 May 2005, 07:25 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

agreed, where would the coutry be without the revenue?....
However on your own time please - and in specially designated areas only, Away from other people and nature.......

Last edited by dpb; 03 May 2005 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03 May 2005, 07:53 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I sometimes smoke when i go out. However, working with smokers is a nightmare. Constantly off for a *** when they should be working, leaving us non smokers to cover for them. Really p1sses me off.
Agreed,always first to the canteen and last out.
Its like the right to smoke is in the Geneva convention or something............
Old 03 May 2005, 07:57 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

A "quick" *** break usually takes at least 15 minutes and the rest of the office is gassed out with *** breath for the 15 minutes after they return.
Old 03 May 2005, 08:44 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Depends on the work, when I worked as a glass collector as a kid, I used to resent the other guy going off for a *** break on nights when we were both on for a reason (ie. saturdays), especially since the bar staff would just shout at the nearest collector rather than the one that was skiving.

In the office environment I don't care so long as everyone gets their work done and I don't have to smell them and I can go and fuel up on caffeine when I need to.

So I guess it depends on the type of work involved.
Old 03 May 2005, 08:52 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I reckon tea drinkers waste just as much time faffing around in the kitchen.... idle layabouts the lot of them!
Old 03 May 2005, 08:58 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

.........and then there's all those who use works time to surf the net! How much does that cost the companys you work for?

Just back from a quick cigar break

chris.
Old 03 May 2005, 09:28 PM
jd
Scooby Regular

lol...

I work with a load of smokers, depends on the person.. Some take the **** and dissapear all the time, some don't.. i used to smoke, took me all of 10 mins to get it down me.
Old 03 May 2005, 11:17 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

personaly hate smoking

it does seam like more and more people are speaking up and finding it unaceptable, seams like the whole idea of it is moving away from "its cool or everybody else is doing it" to "its minging and i wish i didnt do it"
Old 03 May 2005, 11:26 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

I'd rather work with a literate smoker than an illiterate non-smoker.
Old 03 May 2005, 11:28 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I have no problems with people smoking so long as it doesn't affect anyone else, and this is coming from an asthmatic non-smoker.

I really hate smokers who huddle around the entrance to the workplace to have a puff, anyone coming or going has to breathe that crap, unless they hold their breath and run through it.

One of my previous employers had little smoking huts with chimneys dotted around the site, brilliant, no-one else was bothered. They had little disclaimers stating that if you got cancer and died in one of these things, the company is not responsible as you chose to use it.
Old 03 May 2005, 11:29 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
I'd rather work with a literate smoker than an illiterate non-smoker.
Most of the managers at the previous employer I mentioned above are illiterate smokers, does that count?
Old 03 May 2005, 11:37 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lum
Most of the managers at the previous employer I mentioned above are illiterate smokers, does that count?
Not really. Given a choice I'd rather work with a literate 'either' than with an illiterate 'either'. Smoking is hardly a predisposition to whether you are an asset to a company or not. Like an earlier poster I may nip out for a ciggie during my lunchbreak but that's it. It's in my own time and we're not confined to the premises in this time anyway. Others sit in the office or labs and surf the net, some even run across the road to the pub. It's their choice. I'd rather work on something in the afternoon with someone who'd had a ciggie than someone who'd had a pint though.

My previous comment was aimed squarely at the poster above me. I find it hard to swallow that someone who struggles with basic English has the right to jump on a bandwagon suggesting that smokers make lesser workers.
Old 04 May 2005, 12:32 AM
lubo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Not really. Given a choice I'd rather work with a literate 'either' than with an illiterate 'either'. Smoking is hardly a predisposition to whether you are an asset to a company or not. Like an earlier poster I may nip out for a ciggie during my lunchbreak but that's it. It's in my own time and we're not confined to the premises in this time anyway. Others sit in the office or labs and surf the net, some even run across the road to the pub. It's their choice. I'd rather work on something in the afternoon with someone who'd had a ciggie than someone who'd had a pint though.

My previous comment was aimed squarely at the poster above me. I find it hard to swallow that someone who struggles with basic English has the right to jump on a bandwagon suggesting that smokers make lesser workers.
totally agree with you on this one. I smoke and worked with many nurses who smoke but they dont disappear in a moment of urgency for a ***........where as we did have sum alkis or skivvers who just disappeared
Old 04 May 2005, 07:47 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I had cancer several years ago, not smoking related. But its not nice and to increase the chances of having to sit across the desk from a Doctor telling you have cancer is stupid. But then again "it cant happen to me".
Certainly the smokers here at work are always popping out to the *** cabin, standing huddled together puffing away. They do look pathetic and every one looks down at them...... and they do smell of smoke!
Old 04 May 2005, 01:34 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Non-Smokers.

1.Concentrate on the job more - Fact Smoking reduces the oxygen in the bloodstream, therefore brain is not acting at it's best. Nicotine is a stimulant in small doses, but sedative in large doses, therefore it will certainly impare concentration and obviously carries it's own distractions in the form of nicotine cravings.

2.More relaxed attitude to work - fact Smoking increases nervous tension due to the facts given above combined with the fact that smoking gradually destroys your nerve endings and nervous system. Smokers are only ever trying to get back to the relaxed state of a non-smoker.

3.Spend more time on the job - many smokers manage to smoke outside office hours, so this point is not always correct

4.More intelligent - utter tosh

5.Dont smell - depends - I know plenty non-smokers with BO problems, but agreed that smokers stink straight after a ***.

Smokers

1.Always thinking of the next *** break - not true

2.Nervous and irritable - fact - but most don't realise it until they give up and notice how relaxed they become after a few days/weeks

3.Always trying to "engineer" another chance for a *** - not always - but sometimes

4.Thick,well you'd have to be to pay £3 or whatever it is to slowly kill yourself. - It's addiction, so can't really be called thick, just not quite seen the light yet.

5.Reek of nicotine - fact

I smoked for just over 20 years then quit, so the above assumptions/facts are based only om my experiences and those of Allen Carr. Since quitting I've never felt better and know for a fact that my work performance/concentration increased dramatically.

Salary increases reflected this, so it wasn't just in my head

Last edited by SiPie; 04 May 2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04 May 2005, 07:05 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
Non-Smokers.

1.Concentrate on the job more - Fact Smoking reduces the oxygen in the bloodstream, therefore brain is not acting at it's best. Nicotine is a stimulant in small doses, but sedative in large doses, therefore it will certainly impare concentration and obviously carries it's own distractions in the form of nicotine cravings.

2.More relaxed attitude to work - fact Smoking increases nervous tension due to the facts given above combined with the fact that smoking gradually destroys your nerve endings and nervous system. Smokers are only ever trying to get back to the relaxed state of a non-smoker.

3.Spend more time on the job - many smokers manage to smoke outside office hours, so this point is not always correct

4.More intelligent - utter tosh

5.Dont smell - depends - I know plenty non-smokers with BO problems, but agreed that smokers stink straight after a ***.

Smokers

1.Always thinking of the next *** break - not true

2.Nervous and irritable - fact - but most don't realise it until they give up and notice how relaxed they become after a few days/weeks

3.Always trying to "engineer" another chance for a *** - not always - but sometimes

4.Thick,well you'd have to be to pay £3 or whatever it is to slowly kill yourself. - It's addiction, so can't really be called thick, just not quite seen the light yet.

5.Reek of nicotine - fact

I smoked for just over 20 years then quit, so the above assumptions/facts are based only om my experiences and those of Allen Carr. Since quitting I've never felt better and know for a fact that my work performance/concentration increased dramatically.

Salary increases reflected this, so it wasn't just in my head
No, no, no, no...

Half of your 'facts' are speculation and utterly dependant upon the individual. For example, I once had a non-smoking line manager who succumbed to the stress of the job and went long-and I mean long-term sick. I'm a smoker and I not only continued with my workload but took on his workload as well for many, many months, without succumbing to stress. SO I most certainly had a more relaxed attitude to work. As for concentrating on the job more, I agree your medical fact might hold water but again it's down to the individual. My job demands very high levels of concentration and I see my non-smoking peers make continual mistakes whereas I rarely do. It may be that we all have a 'starting point' of concentration and maybe smoking does erode that but it doesn't necessarily mean the level I work at is lower than anyone else.
Old 04 May 2005, 10:39 PM
porkerboy
Scooby Regular

Fact - nicotine doesnt smell, its the other crap inclusive of tar etc that does. Well you started being pedantic!
Old 04 May 2005, 11:06 PM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Smokers need slapping, slapping again and again.

God damn, dont even get me started, i have a guide, 101 reasons why not to smoke. You read that from cover to cover and you realize why its just stupid
Old 04 May 2005, 11:22 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

wouldnt say i had jumped on the bandwagon

i hate it, always have done, dont see the point, and it looks trashy and underclassed

basic english is all i need to be fair, im doing just fine without all the crap i learnt back in school/6th form

prefering to work with a smoker is much easier for the people who smoke themselves, after all they dont realise how bad they smell do they

i walked past a bustop the other day, and just happend to glance down at the floor, made me feel sick
Old 04 May 2005, 11:27 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well....well....well...it's the old debate again and it's starting to get a little tedious, if not alot repetitive.

Me, 34, male smoker of nearly 23 years. Employed as a branch manager in a very busy and PROFITABLE builders merchant.............5 years ago I worked for the same company as a counter sales person and earning less than half of current salary. I work probably twice as hard as any employee I have, DON'T take a lunchbreak through choice and workload and my sales turnover on a like for like basis is at least double of said employees. I work fu**in hard and reap the rewards for it. May I also point out that a % of said employees smoke and all work hard and are paid well to do it too.

Qualifications, 7 A-levels and numerous BMF higher qualifications.

Although the point about smoking becoming socially frowned upon is valid, I find some of your' attitudes, particularly YOU non-smokers, bordering on the neanderthal.............!

Wake up to yourselves and stop being so fu**in self righteous. How many non-smokers on here drink more than 2 pints per night, should I have a go at you because I choose not to..............?

As for the ******** who said that the huddled-up smokers are looked down upon, I'm afraid you have a superiority complex mate, and probably BO...!

So, how long before someone starts a thread about women employees and their maternity rights............GROW FU**IN UP.

Skoosh...............off for a 25p ***.

Last edited by skoosh; 04 May 2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04 May 2005, 11:27 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ask sumbody to post regarding crapy english skills and make yourself feel better again
Old 04 May 2005, 11:29 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoosh

Wake up to yourselves and stop being so fu**in self righteous. How many non-smokers on here drink more than 2 pints per night, should I have a go at you because I choose not to..............?

if a bloke drinks more then 2 pints a night, does he make YOU drink second hand beer while your in the pub or sumthing

??

Old 04 May 2005, 11:36 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

No Mickey, but it's a matter of choice mate. As long as people don't force non-smokers to breathe in their exhaled smoke and DO have a regard and respect for others environments, there's no problem.

Too many people on this and other forums are too quick to pigeonhole people.

I'm all for non-smoking pubs, restaurants etc etc, but at the end of the day, some of the points mentioned and opinions voiced were utter ****e and I can't see how you can disagree.

Si.

Quick Reply: Are non-smokers better workers than smokers?