Home Cinema Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2005, 07:48 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Cinema Advice Needed

As above.
Have got a 42" Plasma and philips DVD Hard Disk Recorder,the thing is i would love to get some surround sound speakers for the corners of the room.
1. Can i just buy speakers and put the wires in the the back of the telly where the originals are just now.?
2.Do i just have to get a amp and then plug the dvd and speakers into that.
Any help would be appreciated as i am a complete bif on all this.
Thanks in advance,
Mac.
Old 29 April 2005, 07:53 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
As above.
Have got a 42" Plasma and philips DVD Hard Disk Recorder,the thing is i would love to get some surround sound speakers for the corners of the room.
1. Can i just buy speakers and put the wires in the the back of the telly where the originals are just now.?
2.Do i just have to get a amp and then plug the dvd and speakers into that.
Any help would be appreciated as i am a complete bif on all this.
Thanks in advance,
Mac.
You will need an amplifier/processor, this is getting really good reviews everywhere at the moment (thinking of getting one myself!)

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_20260.html

Chris
Old 29 April 2005, 08:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

A good little system that, only thing is, Mac's got a DVD recorder so I doubt having another DVD player would be of much use.

What you probably want is an AV Reciever, and then plug the speakers, TV and DVD recorder into the amp.
Old 29 April 2005, 09:27 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
A good little system that, only thing is, Mac's got a DVD recorder so I doubt having another DVD player would be of much use.

What you probably want is an AV Reciever, and then plug the speakers, TV and DVD recorder into the amp.
Good point, maybe 2 is a little excessive!

Some good advice on http://www.avforums.com/
Old 29 April 2005, 11:25 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
yes i don't want 2 dvd players as we already have 2 and the Phillips Hard disk was not cheap. i beleive i need some speakers and a amp that is compatible. any further advice would be grateful.
Mac.
Old 30 April 2005, 12:03 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You need an AV amp (or receiver - an amp with a tuner (radio) built in), and 5 speakers (possibly six). There are many amps to choose from, but guessing you're a beginner in this field look at budget amps from the likes of Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha. Budget around 200.
There also very many speaker packages around, and everyone will have their own preferences. I'd recommend the likes of Mission, Mordaunt & Short or B&W. You can either have 2 small fronts (left & right of TV), a centre (beneath TV for dialogue) and 2 small rears (l&r) backed up by a subwoofer for bass support; or 2 large (floorstanding) speakers left and right which will be able to handle the bass, along with the centre and 2 rears. Budget between 400-800 for a half decent set-up.
You will need to connect the DVD/HD to the amp with a 75ohm coaxial digital interconnect for about 20 quid, but leave the video signal running directly to your TV, Ideally via component, but a the least RGB via scart.
Be prepared for the wife moaning about all the speakers all over the place, and even worse all the bl00dy wires everywhere speaking of which, don't scrimp on the speaker wires. Use at least QED 79 strand at 2 quid or so a metre. Also be prepared to start enjoying viewing with a whole new passion as you discover the world of Dolby Digital, and even better DTS
Old 30 April 2005, 01:44 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
You need an AV amp (or receiver - an amp with a tuner (radio) built in), and 5 speakers (possibly six). There are many amps to choose from, but guessing you're a beginner in this field look at budget amps from the likes of Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha. Budget around 200.
There also very many speaker packages around, and everyone will have their own preferences. I'd recommend the likes of Mission, Mordaunt & Short or B&W. You can either have 2 small fronts (left & right of TV), a centre (beneath TV for dialogue) and 2 small rears (l&r) backed up by a subwoofer for bass support; or 2 large (floorstanding) speakers left and right which will be able to handle the bass, along with the centre and 2 rears. Budget between 400-800 for a half decent set-up.
You will need to connect the DVD/HD to the amp with a 75ohm coaxial digital interconnect for about 20 quid, but leave the video signal running directly to your TV, Ideally via component, but a the least RGB via scart.
Be prepared for the wife moaning about all the speakers all over the place, and even worse all the bl00dy wires everywhere speaking of which, don't scrimp on the speaker wires. Use at least QED 79 strand at 2 quid or so a metre. Also be prepared to start enjoying viewing with a whole new passion as you discover the world of Dolby Digital, and even better DTS
Corradoboy,
Many thanks, just the explanation i was looking for.
off to the shops tomorrow for some buying.
Mac.

Trending Topics

Old 30 April 2005, 03:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Nice to see a mention of B&W speakers Happen to love them, hence having 601DM S3's front and rear, plus an LCR60 S3 for center, and an ASW 600 subwoofer. Must say it's a great combination
Mission stuff is also rather good as well.

Might be worth checking out richersounds.com for some very good deals.
Old 30 April 2005, 03:55 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers Marcus ,
Will do.
Mac.
Old 30 April 2005, 06:35 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Find your nearest www.richersounds.co.uk they have absolute bargains for all AV stuff.

My advice is not to get too interested in the good [expensive] makes just go for the enrty level stuff. Unless you can really crank up the volume you'll never notice the difference. I got a half decent Sherwood Amp for about £200 a set of floor standers for the fronts for about £80, center was about £50 and small rears for £40 all from Richer Sounds.

Sounds amazing, especially when watching a decent movie on my 2 meter projector screen
Old 30 April 2005, 06:59 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I have looked and liked a few of the AMP'S. would a set of speakers do or would you suggest buying them seperate.
Mac.
Old 30 April 2005, 07:05 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I just walked into my local Richer sounds and they sold me everything for surround sound.
Marantz AV amp and Mission sub and speakers, all at a bargin price.

I can't recommend Richer sounds enough.
Old 30 April 2005, 07:26 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree that Richer Sounds offer excellent value, you should take a look at the Yamaha amps and receivers they sell. Speaker wise there are some great small speaker packages out there from Mission and KEF if you don't want floorstanders. If you allow £200-£300 for the amp and anywhere from £300-£800 for a good speaker set up.
Old 30 April 2005, 09:06 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know of any "all in one" type systems which come with a DVD Recorder - without going for seperates?

Chris