I feel so helpless

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2005, 12:08 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down I feel so helpless

Long story short.

Pair of tw*ts at work have been winding me up for a while now. Starts getting a bit too personal for my liking! (i.e. beyond the line of just banter, comments about family members etc)

So I decide to ignore them, but still they persist 1 of them ****s with my food. Then the next day hits me with a pneumatic airline. So I rage and kick him in the ribs.

He makes a complaint against me. And I was suspended yesterday from work for assault. He was also suspended. Witnesses are called who generally side with me over him.

Ive been told I'll get a chance to refute this, but havent i already lost because hes made the complaint. I daresay his version is more glowing. And Im delibrately going for the honest truth in my version. My faults and all.

Time for a fresh CV?
Old 24 April 2005, 12:09 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Did you say your workplace? it sounds more like a school playground.
Old 24 April 2005, 12:13 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Yeah exactly!

Funny thing is that EVERY single one of you on here will have heard of the company. Would never expect stupidity like this at such a internationally well known company. A company that any petrol head would really like to work for!

No Im not saying. Sorry
Old 24 April 2005, 12:13 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

See this through, be brave and point out what's been happening. **** bully in pairs, and any employer worth his salt will recognise what is going down. When it's resolved, and if you still feel that your place of work is tainted by it, then move jobs.
Old 24 April 2005, 12:19 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As you retaliated I am afraid you should both be sacked. Unfair I know, and on what you said I would side with you. If your employers are unaware of the rules and investigate so as to punish the instigator, then you may be lucky and save your job based on the support of your witnesses. For future reference, I would advise making a formal complaint in writing about regular harrassment, and request that the individual you are complaining about be monitored discretely by a superior. That way, if a situation such as this arises, there will already be proof of mitigating circumstances.

Good luck
Old 24 April 2005, 12:20 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

If the witnesses generally side with you over him, this means its been going on some time. IF it goes in your favour, and he keeps up this prattish behaviour, keep a diary, got a camera mobile? photograph any evidence, build up a case against the next episode, and instead of lashing out, walk it to the boss and hand it all over.
It DOES sound like school, but sadly, so do many large workplaces, don't know why, but put a cross section of people together on a day to day basis and some idiot will want to stir the brown stuff.
Its usually a sign of something VERY wrong in their lives and they do it to make themselves(in a perverse way) feel better about themselves.
Old 24 April 2005, 12:22 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

I'm glad I have a nice easy going job, I might clean but I'm supervisor and have no hassles what so ever, go to work do what I have to then come home and put my feet up, plus I dont have a nagging boss hanging over me.

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2005, 12:53 AM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

Cool

do you work in the NHS mate? Sounds like it, guilty till proven innocent in its blame blame culture.
Old 24 April 2005, 01:36 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An assault on a fellow employee normally results in the sack and not much chance when job seeking I'm afraid.

Don't know what to say really, I just hope the provocation is seen as a reason for you to kick him in the ribs .........

You NEED the other Employees to come on board with you and explain that your life has been made hell by these two Employees.

Good luck!

Pete
Old 24 April 2005, 10:01 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Firstly, lets estbalish the facts, You say these 2 ******* have been having a go for a while?
Why did you not report it then?
Secondly in my eyes you were assulted twice by these 2 first by doing stuff to your food and insulting you and your family?
Thirdly, You got to breaking point after the assult with the pnematic airline, no wonder you kicked the little $hit in the ribs.
Personally I would go down the line of self defence, and if you do get the sack I would then take your employee to a tribunal.
Good Luck and take no $hit from anyone.
Cheers
Colin
Old 24 April 2005, 10:30 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Firstly, lets estbalish the facts, You say these 2 ******* have been having a go for a while?
Why did you not report it then?
Secondly in my eyes you were assulted twice by these 2 first by doing stuff to your food and insulting you and your family?
Thirdly, You got to breaking point after the assult with the pnematic airline, no wonder you kicked the little $hit in the ribs.
Personally I would go down the line of self defence, and if you do get the sack I would then take your employee to a tribunal.
Good Luck and take no $hit from anyone.
Cheers
Colin
I didnt report them at the time because Im not a grass. A misguided sense of loyalty. Which will probably count against me I was considering a tribunal this morning. But as PSLewis says Assualt is normally met with dismissal anyway, so it would be 50/50.

Apparently its all been caught on CCTV, including the aftermath where I stood shouting at the pair of them Before they set their attentions on me, they made another employees life unpleasent. He transferred away from my team which meant they had no one to provoke. Of my 4 Line managers 3 didnt want it to get this far. They appear to know what hes like, but the problem is I met physical contact with physical contact. It wasnt enough to hurt him, as after a moment he came out with the line "Next time do it harder"

Oh BTW this guy is a real classy act. Beaten up by his drug dealer over non payment. On a 3 year DD ban. And was arested a few weeks back for fighting a policeman. Also has more "sickies" than anyone else on th shop floor, but they seem to just accept it

Thanks for all the replies. Sadly I can feel the vultures circling. It reminds me of the people on the news. The ones that have their life made hell by societies scumbags and eventually snap and then end up on trial whilst the scum walk free!
Old 24 April 2005, 10:30 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Apparition has it right, you need to document each and every incident -- make a note of the date, time, what was said, photos if you can get them -- and build a case against the offender(s). Without that, it is your word against theirs.
Old 24 April 2005, 10:38 AM
Manda_po
BANNED

If it is captured on CCTV, will it show you kicking him in the ribs straight after him assaulting you with the airline? If so self defence could be argued.

Could you make contact with the person who was previously bullied to bolster your case? It will show a course of conduct by this tw@t.

Good luck.
Old 24 April 2005, 10:50 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Manda Po

Hopefully yes. The camera rotates though, and you just know it will have missed it. My immediate line manager is backing me over this, and has offered to be my "witness" (not sure what the official term is) in the hearing hes spoken to the previous victim and is going to suggest the investigation team speak to him before hand, to build up a picture.

Im not saying what I did was right. It wasnt. But unfortuantly I get the impression that retaliation is no defence

If it all goes badly I will probably make public the name of the company.
Old 24 April 2005, 11:20 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The fact that you retaliated physically after you had been attacked should not be a reason for your dismissal. That is a typical PC and NL reaction. Bullies only respond to strong action against them and sometimes physical action is the only way to get the message home.

I sincerely hope that your line manager will support you fully and that the bullies get the treatment they richly deserve.

Les
Old 24 April 2005, 11:47 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Just tell them what happened don't embellish it or anything, so it matches up with what the witnesses say. If you can document particular intances or the ealier bullying, I'd present them to support your case.

I'd also consider discussing with your line manager the possibility of raising a formal complaint about the bullies' behaviour.

John.
Old 24 April 2005, 12:03 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

you know what they say, the only way to beat a bully is to stand up to them, thats what youve done and good on ya, hes now ran off scared like a little kid crying to the bosses.... Youve already beaten him. now its just a case of trying to keep your job. next time you see him out on town do what he suggested "Next time do it harder"
Old 24 April 2005, 12:08 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

Originally Posted by rr_ww
Manda Po

Hopefully yes. The camera rotates though, and you just know it will have missed it. My immediate line manager is backing me over this, and has offered to be my "witness" (not sure what the official term is) in the hearing hes spoken to the previous victim and is going to suggest the investigation team speak to him before hand, to build up a picture.

Im not saying what I did was right. It wasnt. But unfortuantly I get the impression that retaliation is no defence

If it all goes badly I will probably make public the name of the company.
I agree retaliation may not be a defence, but if the reaction was immediate and to prevent a further attack or perceived attack then it seems the self defence arguement would be valid.
Old 24 April 2005, 12:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bit of this at a place I worked at, one lad considered himself the Alpha male kind of thing and made a point of trying to belittle me all the time, I took him aside and said it had to stop because it made me uncomfortable and I wasnt enjoying coming to work, I had been nothing but polite to him and said I couldnt see why he was trying to undermine me, he apologized and said he was having a few personal problems and was taking them out on me, he went into detail and explained that he was very unhappy and was very overweight, couldnt get a girlfriend and was in a lot of debt.

So, we talked for ages and he was very apologetic and we came up with a bit of a plan to try and sort his problems out, I said he needed to talk to a proffessional counselor, he did and was put on Prozac, thak f*ck for that he was a much nicer bloke, got down the gym, lost a bit of weight and went to Amsterdam to lose his virginity (at 25), never gave me any more bother in fact we were quite good mates and I am glad I did the softer approach, I had considered sparking the c*nt out there and then.
Old 24 April 2005, 01:47 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

i feel so sorry for u bud, i had a problem like that when i was young and being the boss's son u get picked on, i started working or training when i was 12 part time in one of my dads shops

and this ******* used to pick on me all the time and i didnt tell my dad and sorted him out the time i was 14 and tougher

and i got the sack from my dad and he put me in the stock room coz being the boss's son i have a responsibilty and set an example

i hate bullies they deserve to be knocked the hell out of and teeth knocked out scumbags
Old 24 April 2005, 03:26 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Your saying what you did was wrong, well I'm sorry bullies have to be stopped, your boss should know this and if this sort of thing has happened before then the guys picking on you need to be stopped, I seriously hope it goes well for you, I hate bullies and they deserve everything they get.
Cheers
Colin
Old 24 April 2005, 07:33 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The fact that you retaliated physically after you had been attacked should not be a reason for your dismissal. That is a typical PC and NL reaction. ... I sincerely hope that your line manager will support you fully and that the bullies get the treatment they richly deserve.
Colleagues are apparently saying it was Tit 4 tat. He hit me, I hit him back. Not like I stood over him kicking seven bells out of him

Originally Posted by john_s
Just tell them what happened don't embellish it or anything, so it matches up with what the witnesses say. If you can document particular intances or the ealier bullying, I'd present them to support your case.

Check. I have a statement Im taking with me tomorrow.

Originally Posted by davegtt
next time you see him out on town do what he suggested "Next time do it harder"
I live too far away from where I work to care. He'll get his come uppence one day.

Originally Posted by Scoob99
your boss should know this and if this sort of thing has happened before

Hes been an ar*ehole since he started. I was just the new target. He was in enough trouble with the management beforehand. In fact the pair of them had been split up previously as they were mucking about and not working. I can only hope that the difference in our attitudes will count for something.

I would like to thank you all for your advice. As you can imagine my mind is racing. And the general support on here has helped. Cheers

I will report back Tomorrow or Tuesday when I get the final answer
Old 24 April 2005, 07:39 PM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

ooo i already answered this on visor down!!!!
Old 24 April 2005, 08:08 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I had a boss who was a bully,

made my life a misery, got to the point where i did not want to come to work..

how bad was he... i used to travel 20 miles to work on the bus every day (one way)

i used to arrive at work at 7.45 on the dot, and be at my desk by about 7.50

(long way to walk) we used to have a daily review at 8.00 every day with our senior bosses to discuss issues from the day before.

this numpty moves the meeting to 7.45, so that everyday he can berate me in front of his boss for being late to the meeting.

come the pay rises, after 2 successfull product launches, of which i had done most of the donkey work...

the average in the dept was 3 % i got 0.25% !!!

I endured 18 months of this abuse, and yes i did make a formal complaint.

on the day i left my director took me into the office and took a formal statement of complaint, the numpty involved who incedentaly took a department of 10 down to a department of 5 (they all left because of him)
stayed out of my way all day, because some one had tipped him off i wasnt the type to let him get away with it. LOL i want interested in him i had made
a bundle from going to another company!!!

he got his just desserts in the end!!!

M
Old 24 April 2005, 08:12 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Good luck for tomorrow.

John.
Old 24 April 2005, 08:15 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

From what you say,you have enough evidence to support 'mitigating' circumstances.You say you work for a large company so you will be protected by HR procedures so use them.You should expect them to step back from dismissal at best because of the mitigating circumstances you will state at your disciplinary hearing.

Or you will be ****ed over because physical assault is pretty serious.50/50 at best imo.
Old 24 April 2005, 08:19 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

why did i instantly thgink of kwik fit?

im currently on a suspension from work myself, and know exactly what you are thinking, however mine is eva so slightly different, (thankfully) I must admit that I would have done the same as you if i was put in that position.

shaggy
Old 24 April 2005, 08:19 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Good luck and keep us posted
Cheers
Colin
Old 24 April 2005, 08:21 PM
A&E
Scooby Regular

Good luck - don't lose your temper no matter how hard it gets!
Bullies are the lowest of the low and I hope he gets what he deserves.
Old 24 April 2005, 08:22 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

This guy obviously thinks he is a bit of a lad and the sad turds in the workplace that support him probably think he's The Fonz or something.
Don't back down.

Quick Reply: I feel so helpless