Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fuel Protests big boys bleating allready!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2005, 07:35 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Protests big boys bleating allready!!

Heard on the radio today, farmers and hauliers are planning fuel blockades at garages and refinerys in the run up to may 5th..

on cue the suits have been appealing for restraint claiming it closed 25% of the fuel stations in the country due to the lost profits from no petrol sales..

its not the fuel protestors fault, its the feckin big slices raked of by HMG & the oil companys..

we all know that billy climbed down last time!!!

the french do it all the time, and get what they want...

all our sheep in suits say is " its not our way"

erm what is your way,, legalised extortion, stealth taxes?? fuel duty...

its called democracy,

oops forgot nl dont like that do they..

anyway if there going to do the blockades good on em

Mart
Old 22 April 2005, 07:37 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Amen
Old 22 April 2005, 07:41 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Hmm. I might join in this time. However I think there will be a more "robust" response from the Establishment this time.
They have new laws, don't they? Therefore could be very interesting.
Old 22 April 2005, 07:43 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Better get stocked up on bread and milk that was the first thing to run out on the shelves.....why?

powerman
Old 22 April 2005, 07:45 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Hmm. I might join in this time. However I think there will be a more "robust" response from the Establishment this time.
They have new laws, don't they? Therefore could be very interesting.

yes and why did they bring in the new laws..

cos billy got egg on his face.... i remember it well,,, "everyone has the right to peacfull protest"

bill couldnt get his cronys to do anything, as the protesters had not done anything wrong!!!

so right on cue came the "spin" baby milk factories, hospitals...

what crap, how many hospitals run on 4 star!!!

so what did he do ... introduced legislation..

and you muppets voted him in....

M
Old 22 April 2005, 07:50 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Me not Muppet in 01!
I, now absolutely detest our PM and all his useless, sycophantic Ministers and cronies.
Mind you, I detest all politicians.
Old 22 April 2005, 07:52 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I say that we should all jion in. Its not fair for just the haulers to do this for us. We all need to protest about fuel prices, so we should all join in. The new legislation will not count for anything if there are enough of us.

Trending Topics

Old 22 April 2005, 08:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the lost revenue on the petrol, where does THAT come from??

The tax 'take' needs to be the same - so, you will pay it regardless

Only this way we all suffer petrol shortages and queues at the pumps, FOR NOTHING!

Pete
Old 22 April 2005, 08:46 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

pete this government is OBSSESED with TAX especially STEALTH TAX and where is all the money going? not on the NHS, police or schools. its going to bloody scroungers and imigrants. we have the dearest petrol in europe, the question is why? 80% is tax? how do other european countys manage with less tax on fuel?
Old 22 April 2005, 08:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FASTER MIKE!!
pete this government is OBSSESED with TAX especially STEALTH TAX and where is all the money going? not on the NHS, police or schools.
Our school, along with many, has had its debt written off!!

I have never seen as much money being placed into Teachers pockets as is happening now - oh, they'll moan, they always do - but its being used in Education I can say that with authority!

Pete
Old 22 April 2005, 08:53 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis

Only this way we all suffer petrol shortages and queues at the pumps, FOR NOTHING!

Pete
I beg to differ on this point. In the UK we have a massive comparative advantage compared to Europe and the USA due to simple geography. We are a nation living on a small island with dense pockets of population and short spaces between them. So all things being equal if our petrol prices were the same all over the world we would be able to run business and transport products (be they supermarket goods or raw materials for manufacture) far cheaper than say France and the USA as our travel times between source and destination would be lowe and more importantly our petrol consumption and therefore price of transport would be lower. However, our backward thinking government (and the one before this complete idiotic shambles ) decided to destroy this advantage by charging sky high petrol prices and also refuse to inbest in a decent road infrastructure. The result, massive cost of haulage and in the labour force(people have to pay for fuel to get to and from work) and also massive delays in getting goods and people transported around the country because we are all stuck in traffic jams.
But then again thats our own fault because we don't use that promised 'world class' public service.
And on the point of the extra money being needed. What for? More speed bumps? More bits of road to be painted red for bus lanes? Did you know that across the UK the speed camera initiative takes in revenue 120 million pounds a year. Only 20 million of that is profit - the rest goes to pay people to make these things, install them and maintain them. You have to ask yourself whether or not they are simply another mandate from the government to reduce unemployment by getting people on the public payroll.

But then again, crime is down, the health service is state of the art, the police operate zero tolerance, there are no illegal immigrants resident in the country, our public transport is the finest imaginable, planning laws are applied eqally and fairly to all, European legislation is not imposed upon us in any way and the fact that house prices are 3 times what they were ten years ago isnt going to lead to another boom and bust.
Vote labour!
Old 22 April 2005, 09:00 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Some nice points in the above post. I agree with nearly all of it. I do not think we are heading into another boom bust cycle imo. Too many people have predicted that for it to actually happen. There has been a general cool off, so I think we are safe from this.
Old 22 April 2005, 09:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

I have never seen as much money being placed into Teachers pockets as is happening now - oh, they'll moan, they always do - but its being used in Education I can say that with authority!
Two points here, Pete:

1. Not much actually finds it's way into "teacher's pockets". The last greater-than-inflation rise enjoyed by teachers, was pre '97, in fact..........the last rise even the SAME as inflation was pre '97.
Wasn't it one of your lot, (Blunkett) who famously said: "We ARE putting more money into education, but not one penny of it will find it's way into greedy teacher's pockets" ?

2.As governor, even chairman, you have no authority. That authority is shared by the governing body, like it or not. If you meant that you can speak authoritatively..............hmmmm, I bet your headteacher runs rings around you.

Now ask nursey for your medication and go back to bed.

Alcazar
Old 22 April 2005, 09:02 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

So any other party would reduce the tax on fuel?

You're having a laugh if you think that.
Old 22 April 2005, 09:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Pheeeeeeewie, thats quite a post!

The fact remains that the Government needs £x to carry out its commitments, quite how it gets that money is up to them.

They have decided that petrol buyers will fund £y of it ........ if that disappears, or they are forced to lower it .... then they would put that £y on, what? Car Tax Disc? MOT's? Tyres Taxed at 85%? Octane Booster 300% Tax?

You WILL pay, because it needs to be collected - however much you may object to what its applied to

Pete
Old 22 April 2005, 09:06 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Pete
I had to read your post a few times before it started to make sense, it was not entirely clear from what perspective it was being written from.

Nonetheless, you make a valid point. The country needs a certain amount of revenue to be taken in tax. If this is reduced in one area, the it has to be increased in another. That does not mean to say that you personally will always end up paying it.

That is why we have lots of different types of taxes, so that people pay a fair share. Taxes on motoring should be paid for the benefit of the transport system, not to make a profit from it.

If reduced fuel duty means that they have to increase NI, stamp duty, CGT or IHT, or another other tax then so be it. The burden for the nations health should be fairly bourne by the people that live in it.

One could argue that there should be no basic rate of tax. You could argue that we should all be taxed at 40%, just like the high earners. You could then abolish IHT and CGT. The tax take would be the same, but do you really think that it would be fair.......nope, not at all. Some people go through the whole of their lives and legally never pay IHT and CGT.
Old 22 April 2005, 09:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Two points here, Pete:

1. Not much actually finds it's way into "teacher's pockets". The last greater-than-inflation rise enjoyed by teachers, was pre '97, in fact..........the last rise even the SAME as inflation was pre '97.
Wasn't it one of your lot, (Blunkett) who famously said: "We ARE putting more money into education, but not one penny of it will find it's way into greedy teacher's pockets" ?

2.As governor, even chairman, you have no authority. That authority is shared by the governing body, like it or not. If you meant that you can speak authoritatively..............hmmmm, I bet your headteacher runs rings around you.

Now ask nursey for your medication and go back to bed.

Alcazar
Right, lets get some things straight ........ as Chairman of Governors I see how much each and every Teacher gets paid and I see the Budget of the College monthly!! I can DIRECTLY influence BOTH! that is authority!

And Teachers in our College - as EVERYWHERE else - get TWO pay rises a year!! One beats Inflation and..... guess what?? so does the OTHER!!!!

So don't come that claptrap to me - I am surrounded by HARD evidence to back up my statements!!

AND I speak from a position of Authority - I am, after all, with the Governors - the Headteachers Boss!

Pete
Old 22 April 2005, 09:10 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

The point that I want to make is that at the current levels the fuel tax is entirely anti motorist. To the extent that the motorists fund much more than transport in this country. Clearly this is not right. It is also not correct that an anti-car culture is correct.

If we successfully protest against the fuel tax, then parties will start to hear the voices of motorists and not Transport 2000. The implications of a successful protest are far more reaching than just the total revenue take. This is also about polictics and more importantly influence on our future transport system. Motorists are very important, and the goverment, however that is, needs to learn that we have a voice that they need to listen to.
Old 22 April 2005, 09:13 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Right, lets get some things straight ........ as Chairman of Governors I see how much each and every Teacher gets paid and I see the Budget of the College monthly!! I can DIRECTLY influence BOTH! that is authority!

And Teachers in our College - as EVERYWHERE else - get TWO pay rises a year!! One beats Inflation and..... guess what?? so does the OTHER!!!!

So don't come that claptrap to me - I am surrounded by HARD evidence to back up my statements!!

AND I speak from a position of Authority - I am, after all, with the Governors - the Headteachers Boss!

Pete
Not all teachers are getting more money. Part of our family works in the college system. They have actually got a pay cut this year. I am not talking about an inflation adjusted pay cut. I mean a real pay cut. They are also having to work more hours, and have not had an increase in resources for the classroom.

They have had a lot of extra teachers employed running daft new arty courses.....
Old 22 April 2005, 09:17 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes no- one is offering lower taxes on fuel, one of the issues that would get bucket loads of votes. Personally im a low tax man, economies grow faster in times of low tax, thats a historically bona-fide fact. And faster growth now means a low percentage of that inflated number in 10 years is worth more in pounds than a high proportion of a figure that has grown more slowly. However whether you think taxes should be high or low, it is idiotic to place the burden of tax on the supply side of the economy. The government should be seeking to make business costs as low as posible, that way we get more private industry turning bigger profits. If it then wants to tax its peoples incomes or place higher VAT on consumer goods then fine, the businesses have already generated the money in the first place. If it places the tax on the costs of the business then thats stupidity as you prevent them from staring and earning good money which could be taxed as its distributed to the workers.
No party is proposing any sort of radical reforms of opur system that are needed. We need to push workers over to private pension funds, we need to get people who are able to work to contribute to the tax fund rather than letting them be terminally unemployed simply beacause they dont like working. Its time a government rewarded its hard earning members and stuck its boot up the behinds of the leaches in society, that way we are all better off. There are a million things to be discussed here, but at the end of the day, i just came on here to browse and look at some subarus's .
What i will ask is that unless you are happy with labour vote for absolutely anybody except for them. Giving sych a useless bunch of takers and decievers more power is against the principles of democracy
Old 22 April 2005, 09:19 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by FASTER MIKE!!
pete this government is OBSSESED with TAX especially STEALTH TAX and where is all the money going? not on the NHS, police or schools. its going to bloody scroungers and imigrants. we have the dearest petrol in europe, the question is why? 80% is tax? how do other european countys manage with less tax on fuel?
I was in the USA a couple of years back and lost a filling.
Went to a local dentist - got fixed no problem. Paid the bill in cash $275.00
No complaints - He did the job and that was his rate for the job. I would never have considered saying "Can I have it for free".

Now If someone comes to this country with "Whatever" bloody illness they appear to be able to march into de hospital and get treatment without so much as handing over a brass farthing ? And WHY ?? Cos that &$%* in # 10
wants it that way. And what REALLY pi55es me off is that it's my tax pound that is frittered away paying for all that along with all the other costs associated with illegals in the UK.

Enough is enough. Time to stop ***** footing around this issue.

If they are not due to be here, and I don't give a flying **** if they are black, brown, yellow with red polkadots, East european, West Indian, North Korean or South Parkian - Kick em out. Don't ask them nicely. Send the boys in - Take em in whatever cloths they are stood in direct to an airport holding station till you've got enough to fill a charter plane and ship em out.

End of.

Rant Over

and CORNER

Last edited by jods; 22 April 2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 22 April 2005, 09:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Not all teachers are getting more money.
From where I am standing Teachers are doing DAMNED well at the moment - and I can only talk from my viewpoint, but its a true viewpoint (NOT an opinion!)

I have 2 sisters in Teaching, both doing exceptionally well - but then my family are achievers ............ maybe our College is excellent because we have the best? and the best don't come cheap!

I can only take from this that Teachers who are poorly paid are poor Teachers

Pete
Old 22 April 2005, 09:24 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Now, pslewis I am starting to get a bit miffed with you.
Mrs Vegescoob is a High School Headteacher and she does not get a pay rise twice a year. The pay rises do not beat inflation. Are you a governer in a private school?
My sister in law is a lecturer in a College of Education and neither does she.
Old 22 April 2005, 09:26 PM
catherine666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borat52
economies grow faster in times of low tax, thats a historically bona-fide fact.
A bona fide, backed up with a link to a website so we can peruse some figures, fact?
Old 22 April 2005, 09:26 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

One of the main reasons quoted for high tax on fuel is on environmental grounds...

Why is there no tax on aviation fuel? Seems strange to me. Aircraft are one of the worst ofenders in fuel consumption and releasing greenhouse gases right up high in the atmosphere where it has a more significant effect (allegedly - what do 'scientists really know LOL)

Also out of interest is tax on fuel a fixed amount or a % - does anyone know...

Cheers

Mick
Old 22 April 2005, 09:29 PM
catherine666
Scooby Regular

its a %
Old 22 April 2005, 09:33 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Mrs Vegescoob is a High School Headteacher and she does not get a pay rise twice a year. The pay rises do not beat inflation. Are you a governer in a private school?
Just ignore him mate. He is going for the windup again. All of us who work and know people in education know that this is not they case across the board. The quality of the teachers has nothing to do with the policies that management decide to dictate. That takes time, insert cr*p management and it takes a few years before the good teachers finally get p*ssed off and move. That is what is happening here.
Old 22 April 2005, 09:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

OK, Mrs Vegescoob is on around £70,000!! PLUS Jaguar Car! AND she gets an annual increase - THEN she gets a Governors Performance Pay Management Committee hearing where she moves UP the Leadership Spine!!

Thats TWO pay rises in my book!!

And its a State College I Govern!!

Your Mrs. is holding out on you my friend!!

Pete
Old 22 April 2005, 09:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Just ignore him mate. He is going for the windup again.

I CERTAINLY am NOT on a wind-up!!

All this ****e the Teachers feed into the Public Domain about struggling is utter, utter TOSH!! and its about time someone said it!! FFS!

Pete
Old 22 April 2005, 09:41 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by catherine666
its a %
I'm pretty sure that it is so many pence per litre. That is what he says in the budget, tax is up x p per litre.

The % element comes into the VAT, example (not realy figures)

Fuel is 10p cost
Duty is 60p
Totals 70p
Now VAT is added at 17.5% to make pump price of 82.25p.

This is how he makes more money in a rising oil price market, he gets the extra VAT, but no more duty.

And yes, you first pay the duty, and then VAT on the duty you just paid.

Quick Reply: Fuel Protests big boys bleating allready!!