Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Top Gear should be banned call

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2005, 09:30 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Top Gear under fire....

From todays Guardian. Top Gear has come under fire from Transport 2000, they say it glamuorises fast driving and yob culture.

Well maybe it does, but I don't think anyone takes it very seriously!

It says "If we must have Jeremy Clarkson on the television, let's give him something useful to do, such as trying out public transport or road-testing new bicycles. Perhaps he would like to drive a bus; he'd find it just as much fun as a Ferrari." Yeah, right!

Geezer
Old 12 April 2005, 09:34 AM
mr & mrs carlos uk300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
From todays Guardian. Top Gear has come under fire from Transport 2000, they say it glamuorises fast driving and yob culture.

Well maybe it does, but I don't think anyone takes it very seriously!

It says "If we must have Jeremy Clarkson on the television, let's give him something useful to do, such as trying out public transport or road-testing new bicycles. Perhaps he would like to drive a bus; he'd find it just as much fun as a Ferrari." Yeah, right!

Geezer
Transport 2000 need to

Old 12 April 2005, 09:35 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Nothing new thought they had been under fire before for being irresponsible! The words 10p and call and give a **** spring to mind.
Old 12 April 2005, 09:50 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a load of old crap That'd be interesting to watch wouldn't it
Old 12 April 2005, 09:57 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I can't wait to see JC's response
Old 12 April 2005, 10:07 AM
Matt P
Scooby Regular

They already have tried driving buses on TG, IIRC they tried to jump one over a load of bikes!
Old 12 April 2005, 10:09 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Angry

Transport 2000 part of the Old Mary Whitehouse Brigade, ******* !!!!!
Old 12 April 2005, 10:19 AM
Droidy
Scooby Regular

Talking

instead of moaning about top gear, they need to take advise from them and get v8's with twin turbo's fitted as standard to there public transport,

perhaps then they can be on-time !!
Old 12 April 2005, 10:31 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Just remember that your tax pays for those miserable whinging lentil eaters in Transport 2000! So, you and I are actually underwriting this attempt at thought control.

I also recall that JC did indeed do a show about undertaking his journey to work on a bus. Perhaps Top Gear should repeat that show just to demonstrate how awful it was. That would slap it up the lentil eaters. When you are trying to sell something that is rubbish then the worst thing you can say to someone like JC is "Try it out, you will love it..."
Old 12 April 2005, 10:35 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Transport 2000 - name says it all really - already 5 years out of date and no hope of catching up
Old 12 April 2005, 10:36 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I know, it's easy to laugh at this sort of thing but it has some very serious undertones. IMO it’s all part of a wider plan to remove all performance vehicles, motorcycles etc from our roads wipe out all forms of motorsport in this country.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the post Hutton BBC do exactly what the Government backed Transport 2000 are calling for as part of the green nutters’ war on the motorist and private transport. If New Labour get re-elected expect much, much more of this sort of thing over the coming months and years.
Old 12 April 2005, 10:37 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Miserable c unts !!
Old 12 April 2005, 10:42 AM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

Transport 2000 can sove their moaning up their ****
Old 12 April 2005, 10:49 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
. If New Labour get re-elected expect much, much more of this sort of thing over the coming months and years.
Or any other party. As they are all the same!

I just read about this on another forum and my girlfriend has already emailed them from a woman's view as follows:

Originally Posted by My Bint making use of email
Hello,

I write to tell you my annoyance at your campaign to have top gear taken off the air (or replaced by a watered down version) . As a WOMAN I enjoy the programme as do a lot of other women and men that I know. If other women do not enjoy such a programme why would they watch it. There are many programmes I do not find entertaining or what not, so I simply do not watch them.

As a viewer of this programme I also do not drive like a 'yob' and have never felt encouraged to do so by this programme. I drive at sensible speeds given good weather conditions. I do hope that you are not seeking to encourage people to be holding up the roads driving at 35/40mph in good conditions on national speed limit roads - as I do not consider this good driving practice.

A lot of people have no choice but to travel far to work and ultimatly spend lots of time in their vehicle each day, if having a nicer car makes that a bit more pleasurable then good luck to them, its not like they are not already being hounded enough when all they wish to do is go to work (and pay their taxes).

Regards
Victoria Burnell
Old 12 April 2005, 11:45 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is totally untrue to say that the parties are all the same. That remark is so often just a cop out to justify avoiding the small amount of trouble to visit the polling station!

As UB says, smell the coffee before it is too late.

Les
Old 12 April 2005, 12:04 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I will be voting. What i meant was they all do pretty much the same thing and just carry on what was started by previous party.
Old 12 April 2005, 12:04 PM
Stevie.p
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thoes that work for transport 2000 get a new job cos the one you have is crap!!!!!!!!
Old 12 April 2005, 12:07 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
I will be voting. What i meant was they all do pretty much the same thing and just carry on what was started by previous party.
Here's the party for you....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/p...ge/4434125.stm

Old 12 April 2005, 12:15 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

This also highlights the need for a strong BBC. Those people who complain that the BBC will not highlight their point of view need to be supporting the organisation rather than putting it down. At the minute the government can force the BBC into doing what it wants just because a lot of people are asking about the licence fee and complaining that the BBC can tend to the left. Instead of complaining stand up and say "I'm going to support the BBC to broadcast what it likes, and I don't mind paying for such freedom of speech."

If we all supported a strong and independent BBC then the organisation could tell the government where to go safe in the knowledge that the majority would support the right to free speech and for the BBC to broadcast what it wished. It can't do that while you moan and complain, it can only do that when it actually has a majority support who are willing to stand up against the government.

We must also remember that while Labour are doing their best to take control of the BBC it was the Tories who started this process and their plans still include things like insisting that 50% of all BBC programmes are made by outside organisations. When you see the junk such outside organisations serve up on our screens you can see where the Tories will lead us to.

The current government have embarked upon a policy of censorship in the most subtle and unpleasant manner. For example look at the amount of press coverage we get which accepts "man made global warming" as a fact. In truth there is much dispute over this but it is something that can be used to "control" us through fear of events that will never happen. This will have a direct impact upon motorists as the greens want most cars off the roads and also want a blanket 40mph speed limit. In turn the press, driven by government policy, are subtly selling the line that if you stop driving then you can save the planet.

With this in mind it is vital we all stand up for a strong and independent BBC which doesn't depend upon being nice to the government for it's funding. Until we do that the BBC will still have to take requests from government funded organisations such as T2000 seriously as, indirectly, they pay for the programmes. Frightening isn't it?
Old 12 April 2005, 12:22 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 12 April 2005, 12:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Until we do that the BBC will still have to take requests from government funded organisations such as T2000 seriously as, indirectly, they pay for the programmes.
Unlike taking requests from the licence-payer who pays directly for the programmes?

Read the article. Paragraph 2: "It said the motoring series, one of BBC2's most successful shows with up to 5 million viewers a week, should be replaced"

You think they're going to replace one of their most successful shows?
Old 12 April 2005, 01:17 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

They replaced one of their journalists because they government didn't like what he said about Iraq and the fact that he was getting good information.

They (the government that is) may have killed the source of that information.

I think Top Gear is small fry.
Old 12 April 2005, 03:59 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The BBC's take on this here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4432279.stm
Old 12 April 2005, 04:20 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Anyone fancy a cruise past Transport 2000's offices?

Decats essential
Old 12 April 2005, 04:37 PM
New_scooby_04

Angry

"This is not about censorship or having a poor sense of humour, it's about what is in the public interest. You can provide entertainment without it being mindless and irresponsible."

Public interest, don't make me laugh!!!

Meanwhile, what is being done about stonger penalties for those who cause death by dangerous/drink driving? What is being done about harsher penalties for the scum who nick cars? What is being done in terms of a sensible debate about speed limits and speed camera placement?

Clearly these pale in importance with respect to the public interest compared with the antics of a TV programme.

So Transport 2000, if you're looking at this board, and you probably won't be cause you'll be busy dreaming up other hair brained ideas to make enjoying a car in the comming years an even more remote prosect, but if you are, here are few words from SN:

We're not interested in the views of patronising idiots with 'too much time and not enough brain syndrome'. SOD OFF!

NS04
Old 12 April 2005, 04:40 PM
A&E
Scooby Regular

They can't take the lovely Richard Hammond off the telly!

(really, if you shut your eyes and just listen to him....)
Old 12 April 2005, 04:47 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Meanwhile, what is being done about stonger penalties for those who cause death by dangerous/drink driving? What is being done about harsher penalties for the scum who nick cars?
Should have heard that idiot Kennedy going on about how the Lib Dems will "get tough on crime". "We'll get them to sign up to a good behaviour contract rather than imposing an ASBO. If they keep to the contract we will reward them" And if they don't??? Errr well we'll tell them we are really dissapointed. If that's getting tough on crime god help us.
Old 12 April 2005, 05:00 PM
Peccant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angel-eyes
They can't take the lovely Richard Hammond off the telly!

(really, if you shut your eyes and just listen to him....)
and I thought I was the only one
Old 12 April 2005, 05:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Peccant
and I thought I was the only one
Here's one for the ladies!

I AM A DRIVING GOD!!!!

NS04
Old 12 April 2005, 05:26 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

If they ban Top Gear from the telly, will they also ban Fifth Gear?

IMO they are both showing the same thing... why aren't this out of date Transport 2000 targetting Fifth Gear aswell? Maybe they don't get Channel Five where they come from!!

Quick Reply: Top Gear should be banned call