Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cold Callers - latest tactic

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2005, 03:34 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cold Callers - latest tactic

Have you noticed these people that phone from call centres selling cheaper phone calls now don't even try to sell the product.

Had one yesterday who said "Hello.......Mr Walker". He then asked if i'm with BT, confirmed my address, post code, phone number and first name. He then asked me for my DOB.

At this is, i refused to give it and asked why he needed it. He said it was in order to set up the direct debit and that he also needed my account details.

We had quite a good argument for a while along the lines of me asking him to send me details through the post before i give any further info. He was obviously more bothered about loosing the sale to someone else. He eventually hung up.

My point is - can they do this. Automatically set up a direct debit without telling you what its for. Some poor sod is going to get caught out.
Old 09 April 2005, 03:40 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

technically, if you give permission to set it up, yes...if you don't then no.

When a direct debit is set up, the direct debit guarantee must be read out (if over the phone) or be in the paperwork as it is when you get a new credit card.

The guarantee states that you're 'entitled to a full and immediate refund of the direct debit from your bank or building society' if necessary.

and yes, it's crap how they are working.
Old 09 April 2005, 03:44 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

i used to work for caudwell communtications as a mobile rep, who had to cold call off my mobile on the road....oh the training...lol....scumbags to say the least. funny thing is, id actually stay with BT because on there best custom tarrifs theres not much in it.
put that job well behind me lol

Si
Old 09 April 2005, 03:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply ask them 'Just to hold the line while I quickly answer the door' ....... then leave them holding

It's actually amazing how long they wait, you've got to say that you are REALLY keen and interested just before you put them on hold!!

Pete
Old 09 April 2005, 03:47 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Does it put them off if you use really, really hard Dutch Techno as the Hold music?

astraboy.
Old 09 April 2005, 03:59 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

My favourite response is to prattle on like an old woman to them.

"Oh hello, i'm very interested in changing my phone as my friend Edna just changed hers and she says its wonderfull, especially when her husband has gone to the pub because she can talk to her daughter.......................................... .................................................. ............................. and then we often go to the bingo on a Thursaday......................................... .............................. but the weather wasn't as good as Majorca, so we've booked up agin next year but Georges's varicous vains are giving him jip..................... etc etc..
Old 09 April 2005, 04:06 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SyHightower
id actually stay with BT because on there best custom tarrifs theres not much in it.Si
I'd love to know how you work that out Si. BT are robbing bastárds generally.

Everyone I know is now on Carphone Warehouse and it doesn't cost any of us a bean, at anytime.
Old 09 April 2005, 04:46 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Agree with spoon, as someone who works for a telco company (and no we dont cold call like those fools cauldwell) I actually wrote some software that takes CDR (call data records) from a variety of carriers and compares it with the BT Business Plan (we only do b2b) in a very small number of cases the BT biz plan is better but typically it is not, there are hidden fees such as call setup charges, minimum call charges and it works on the industry knowledge that the average daytime call duration is typically 2 minutes so the capping rarely takes effect (and the capping is limited too!)

Gary
Old 09 April 2005, 05:08 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
Does it put them off if you use really, really hard Dutch Techno as the Hold music?

astraboy.