Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How to invest £60k / Ten years for an Eight year old?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2005, 07:52 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Restricting it by age is very prudent.

I would go further and restrict payments like so:
20% at 18
20% at 21
60% at 25
Old 08 April 2005, 09:08 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

as above.....if possible to change at this stage.

i do loads of Wills and cant recall the last time a client went for less than 21.....and often 25 (with trustee discretion until then)

and talk to an IFA.......many decent funds should be able to double up in 10 years (7% net)
Old 08 April 2005, 09:11 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Over a 10-13 year period I think you can afford to me more adventurous than sticking 50k in some sort of low-risk account.

I'd look at a diversified portfolio of equity funds from one or two respected fund manager, and split the money between US, UK, European and Far Eastern funds. You can gradually start moving the money back into less volatile investments (bonds, national savings, high interest cash) after 8 years or so.

Another option given the length of time you are looking to invest - 60k would be a sizeable downpayment on a starter property. With the house market being slow, you could consider trying to pick up a buy-to-let if you could get a decent property for a good price over the next year or two. Presumably she will want to buy her own home at some point, and to have one largely fully paid for when she comes of age would be a great start to adult life.

Gary.
Old 08 April 2005, 11:36 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

I would reconsider giving it to her when she was 18.

My Sister knew someone who lost both her Parents when she was young. She didn't see a bit of the money until she was 30.

I would consider blue ckip shares or property.
Old 10 April 2005, 05:42 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You could consider a bond issued by an insurance company, but most of the funds are equity linked - so the investment would be medium to high risk.

Some companies (like Skandia) offer over 300 different funds - including Property funds that are less volatile than other funds, and one can switch between funds at no charge.

The bond could be written under trust for the child's benefit, and a Letter of Wishes could be drawn up which would give the trustees of the bond guidlines on how to advance cash to the child - a sort of safety net so that youngsters do not get given large amounts of money at too youn an age.

5% of the original investment can be taken out each tax year with no tax to pay, withdrawals not taken in one year can be carried forward to the next.

Low risk would be cash or cash equivalent - National Savings Premium Bonds for example.