DVD's & connecting to Combi TV

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2005, 11:40 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DVD's & connecting to Combi TV

Folks,

Basically I've got a DVD player and I wanted to connect it to my daughters portable TV in her bedroom.
Connected it via the scart cable, but the picture brightness keep fading and brightening up agian if that makes sence?

Its a toshiba DVD player, with a sony (I think) combi tv.

The manual does state that it shouldn't be connected through a video, so I guess its doing this for security reasons............however, if I connect the same dvd player to another combi portable it doesn't do it.
This other portable is also a toshiba brand though.

Its driving me fecking mad too.

Thanks,

Shaun
Old 08 April 2005, 11:47 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the macro copy protection,if you connect a sky digi box's second scart to the telly and watch something on box office it does the same,it's to stop you copying dvd's.
Old 08 April 2005, 12:54 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Its a long shot, but try switching the picture output settings on the DVD player to "RGB" instead of composite (it should be like this anyway for better picture quality), or try vica versa if it already is set like that. Also make sure it is set to PAL while your in there too.

Unfortunately, being a portable TV, it is likely that it won't support RGB inputs (but being a sony..it "should" support it). IIRC marcovision does not apply to RGB signals...only composite.

On some players I have had to modify the scart lead pins and disconnect the pin for the Blanking signal (pin 16 I think..can't remember I'll have to check), as it sometimes interferes. Also the switching signal pin (pin 8 IIRC) can cuase confusion between devices too.

Last edited by Shark Man; 08 April 2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08 April 2005, 12:55 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Its a long shot, but try switching the picture output settings on the DVD player to "RGB" instead of composite (it should be like this anyway for better picture quality), or try vica versa if it already is set like that. Also make sure it is set to PAL while your in there too.

Unfortunately, being a portable TV, it is likely that it won't support RGB inputs (but being a sony..it "should" support it). IIRC marcovision does not apply to RGB signals...only composite.

On some players I have had to modify the scart lead pins and disconnect the pin for the Blanking signal (pin 16 I think..can't remember I'll have to check), as it sometimes interferes. Also the switching signal pin (pin 8 IIRC) can cuase confusion between devices too.
If you can check those pin configurations for me, then that would be great.

Thanks,

Shaun
Old 08 April 2005, 12:56 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Also, I'd better mention before cutting pins etc. You MUST try another scart lead. Most standard ones supplied with stuff are terrible and suffer bad connections internally. Also makes sure it is a full function SCART lead (very thick cable approx half inch diameter).

I will have to re-check which pins, as it will involve me diving behind the DVD player when I have the chance.