Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A Question for University Students...

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2005, 05:46 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Question for University Students...

Knowing what you know now, would you still choose to go to university?
Old 05 April 2005, 05:48 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Probably, would have chosen a different course though!
Old 05 April 2005, 06:12 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

hmmmmmm
yes- but would change what i did outside of lectures....and probably change unis too

(not a current student, but hey, im bored)
Old 05 April 2005, 06:42 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

No, I wouldnt.

(failed student who did 2 years then got a job and is still earning more than most of the others from his class)
Old 05 April 2005, 07:15 PM
f1sh4u
Scooby Regular

No. I am currently a student in my 4th year, only 2 months to go though

I wouldnt have even done my A-levels, if i had my time again i would have started work at 16.
Old 05 April 2005, 07:19 PM
yoza
BANNED

I wood doe it awl again.

I lernd al lot in Unievercewrty.

And I liye wot job it give me two.

Eye get too work lowds of ours at the BurglerKing az manie az eye liyke.
Old 05 April 2005, 08:38 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Yoza - have you been getting extra tuition
Old 05 April 2005, 08:41 PM
bigsigh
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didnt really want to go wen i started but its ok , glad i did now , in third year with one more to go . Will be nice to get out and make some proper money
Old 05 April 2005, 08:52 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsigh
Didnt really want to go wen i started but its ok , glad i did now , in third year with one more to go . Will be nice to get out and make some proper money
Thats what i thought when i started. Mine told you anything to get you to go there, its only when you DO get there and see how its an embarassment from top to bottom that you realise how many people lied to you to get you to go there!!
Old 05 April 2005, 09:17 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I see that a lot of the richest people around didn't go. There success probably more down to personality type though, I don't think I would have ended up as the next Richard Branson if I started out at 16 selling fruit on the market or wheelerdealing whatever. With hindsight I would have done a differtent course though, not chemistry. Something with more potential to set up own business like architecture or pharmacy.
Old 05 April 2005, 09:44 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

no lol
Old 05 April 2005, 10:25 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Difficult one, I'm in 3rd year, I think its a waste of time. However it can be a means to an end, it will depend on the career path I choose when I finish whether the degree affects how well I do.

As you said at school there's an attitude of go to university=succeed in life. Too many people trying to subscribe to this theory. A degree is probably worth a lot less now than it was 20 years ago. I think the average wage of graduates will drop over the next few years. Too many people going to be coming out of university and doing a 10k a year job that they could have done 3 or 4 years before but now 15-20 k of debt carrying around with them which they will probably have all their life unless they get lucky or increase their wage.

I know people who haven't gone to university earning plenty within a few years. A lot of it is to do with your personality. If your a layabout at uni for the easy life and you continue that way after then you ain't gonna go far.

If you've got a good attitude to work and some skills to go with it you'll do well, degree or not.

Don't question my grammar or spelling please! I ain't an english student and haven't bothered checking this as its a post on a bulletin board, so no "you won't get a job writing like that comments"

Rant over, he he! All imo!

Rich
Old 05 April 2005, 10:29 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

No I would not have. I have one month left of my degree, Economics. What a waste of time! all this hard work (yes some of us do work! lol.) Still a top experiance. Wish I did a trainning course in something handy, plumming, construction etc. Or if i did go back in time some how (hummm wheres that flux capacitor) I would have done Automotive motorsport After my degree, im going to do a Masters, just to get some sh!tty job.
Kam
Tip- Dont go to uni if you want a fast track career, you will just end up surfing SN when your dissertation is in next week. IMHO.
Old 05 April 2005, 10:30 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Would defo do it all again, and dont regret anything, it was the best 4 years of my life so far
Old 05 April 2005, 10:36 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Yep. I worked hard, got a first and enjoyed it all.
Nope. Still got debts I'd rather not have.
Yep. I have an enjoyable job now at a different Uni doing innovative CAD and looking after one of only three rapid prototyping machines of it's type in the country.
Nope. I could earn a lot more than I probably should considering the effort and cost of doing a degree.

I'm not sure I'd do it again to be honest, but I certainly don't regret going.
Old 05 April 2005, 11:15 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

To be honest im now really getting fed up of my degree. (Economics)

I dont find it difficult and i could pass it with my eyes shut, but i just have absolutely NO motivation for it and i feel that when i graduate i will probably just end up in a job feeling exactly the same as i do now, due to the nature of the degree.

Unfortunately the cost of going means i feel too tied into it to leave and i dont really have any better alternatives.

Just feel trapped (and skint )
Old 05 April 2005, 11:32 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep !!

Vocational degree which means I can afford Scooby even after divorce, 2 kids errrr another on the way etc !!

No savings or money in the bank but don't have to worry where the next gallon of Optimax is coming from

Plus 4 years and ten weeks of Uni life not to be missed (qualified 4 grand in debt 1982)

Midlife.....
Old 06 April 2005, 09:37 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

yes i would , i do everyday what i have done at uni... so its helped me allot
Old 06 April 2005, 09:49 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

I'd go back tomorrow if I could! It depends why people want to go there. If I was after a career which pays me significantly more than my friends who left school at 18 are earning then I'm going to be disappointed. Those days are over. It is possible to graduate and get an amazing salary but this isn't necessarily linked to your level of education any more.

If I was going to university for the broader experience, to learn how to become independent, live away from home, meet new people, get laid and get into debt then I know I wouldn't be disappointed. That's why I went to university, not on some false hope that I'd have an amazing career afterwards, but for the broader experience of it all. (The debt was a bummer though.)
Old 06 April 2005, 09:52 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matt85
To be honest im now really getting fed up of my degree. (Economics)

I dont find it difficult and i could pass it with my eyes shut, but i just have absolutely NO motivation for it and i feel that when i graduate i will probably just end up in a job feeling exactly the same as i do now, due to the nature of the degree.
Stick with it. My dad did economics and had a happy 25 years as a local authority architect. I did law and spent the next 10 years working with the former Soviet Union, nothing to do with law.

A degree is a piece of paper for employers that says this guy is smart and can finish work to a good standard within a deadline.