Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any consumer law exprts in here?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2005, 12:39 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any consumer law exprts in here?

Further to my post back in Feb about troubles with Homebase kitchens, please xcuse the long story - questions at the bottom!

In October 2004 we bought a kitchen from Homebase that they delivered at the begining of December. At the time of purchase and at time of delivery they advised us that we had 14 days from date of delivery to check and return any damaged goods.

Becuase Christmas was on the way, I checked the outside of all packaging and saw nothing to cause concern. I left the whole lot in the garage until after Christmas when I started to fit the kitchen. In the first week of January I opened the worktop and found there was a dent in the front edge of it.

I went back to the Store and was told that as I haddnt checked it in the 14 day period I'd have to pay for a replacement so I may as well use the damaged one as a work surface until the replacement arrived. I paid for the replacement and sat back for around 4 weeks waiting for it to arrive. During this time I fitted worktop to the rest of the kitchen and tiled all around it.

On the day of delivery I checked it to find it was the wrong pattern. Sure that it was a simple mistake I went back to the store where I was told that they'd ordered the wrong one in error and since then, the correct design had been discontinued.

The assistant said that it may be possible to get hold of a piece from their supplier and that they would get back to me.

Today they called to say that they were unable to get the original pattern so we will have to choose another. They did, however, say that if I get some quotes for cutting new worktop to replace what has already been fitted they will pay for the work as well as the replacement item itself.

Now for the questions:

1) If there is nothing in Homebase that we like the look of, where do we stand with regard to choosing a worktop from somewhere else?

2) Can I claim for the time and effort involved in the removal of tiles and re-tiling work around worktops that are already fitted?

3) Once tiles are removed you can't reuse them, can I claim for a whole box of new tiles? I will also need to buy some tile adhesive etc. that wouldn't have been needed before - can I claim for this?

4) Are they legally correct to say we had to check the original delivery within 14 days? If not then can I claim my money back for the replacement I paid for?