Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone doing or done the London to Brighton bike ride?

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2005, 03:00 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone doing or done the London to Brighton bike ride?

Currently training for the ride on 19th June.

Building up stamina at the moment, slowly building up miles with each training session. Currently doing 15 miles, probably moving up to 20 miles or so this evening.

Only training on flat ground at the moment, as I've been told that stamina building is more important than hill work for now (although I want to start hillwork in the next fortnight or so).

I'm training twice a week at the moment, but plan to step up to 3 times a week in the next week or so.

Any advice for training for this sort of event?
Old 30 March 2005, 03:20 PM
blueone
Scooby Regular

Did it nearly 20 years ago now. Can't remember much TBH. Just gradualy increase the distance work. Try to vary the route you take and the hills you attempt. I did one big distance ride of 35 miles 2 weeks before, the rest was just an hour or two twice a week for a couple of months, but I was a competent cyclist to start with back then.
Old 30 March 2005, 03:24 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I haven't been on a bike for about 5-6 years!!

The advantage I do have (although I'm people will say it's crap) is that I did a lot of spinning and bike work in the gym not too long ago. 45 minutes of spinning on high resistance and I use to warm up with 45 minutes on the bike on the highest setting with varying terrain.

I believe I need to get more miles under my belt, but I don't want to be training at say 45 miles continually (for example!)
Old 30 March 2005, 03:33 PM
blueone
Scooby Regular

The big mistake some people make is to just stop and not do any more after the 'event' sure have a few days to rest but get back out on the bike and keep the fitness level up. He says looking down at his own belly! I don't think you need to have long distances every day. You do need to condition yourself to be able to do it though. Have you a target time you are aiming for? As some people don't rush and take all day. Depends what you want to achieve really as to what training to do.
Old 30 March 2005, 03:36 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I have an option to do it (i.e. I have sent the entry fee off ). A colleague and I are doing it together - must think on and pump the bike tyres up.......
Old 30 March 2005, 03:40 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

We have 19 people from work doing it!

You're more than welcome to join us, if it helps you out riding in bigger team with mixed ability.

We're on for the 6am start! I only found out that it was same day as father's day, my first one and I'm on the bike for a big chunk of it!
Old 30 March 2005, 03:43 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

done it 'bout 10 years ago - believe me all the trainings in vain if you dont start in the first couple of hours ........after that its stop/ start because of the mass of people and the fact its not a 'closed circuit' -most frustrating............i came away with a sore neck thats about it.

HAHA,..........spoke too soon ......

The only hill of any mention was devils dyke , which i was riding and everybody else was walkin................but then i did Start at 9....

Last edited by dpb; 30 March 2005 at 03:50 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 30 March 2005, 05:28 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Next door neighbour & his mrs are doing again this year.. they are out twice a week in the garage on the trainers, building up the stamina.. & and varing the resistance on the old machines

theres a big hill thet gets loads of people apparantly

Mart
Old 30 March 2005, 06:30 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

The only hill that will get you is ditchlin hill (just entering brighton) it is a killer !!! great fun going down it, as you can pass 40mph

London to brighton is for girls !!!
I have done a Luton to Brighton cycle a couple of time now, spot on 100 miles. 9 hours the first time and 7 hours the second time we did it..

i'm too unfit to do it now.

a couple of bits of advice, if you using a mountain bike like i did, get some decent road tires and some slime, as i had a puncture, and didnt realise until i saw some green goo on my tire some miles later

go on a long cycle if you can, say 30 miles, just to see if the saddle is comftable as you gonne be on it for a few hours
Old 30 March 2005, 06:44 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

hard on the **** and do not try with piles !!!!!!!!!
Old 30 March 2005, 07:01 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Advice is:

1 Use a bike that's fit for purpose - decent slicks a must

2 Take spares - nothing other than tubes and a multitool

3 Ride the bike beforehand and make sure there's nothing wrong with it

4 Consider cycling shoes, or at least a decent set of pedals

5 Gent out and do some rides - nothing silly, but enough to make your muscles feel it the next day. Do this for a couple of months and you're sorted

6 Enjoy it!
Old 30 March 2005, 07:46 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Deffo get some slicks if you're on a mountain bike. Keep well hydrated and fed during the ride and go t your own pace - you'll be fine.

I did it the year of the foot and mouth as couldn't get offroad, good fun, particularly at the start from Clapham. Police try and keep you on the right side of the road but it's more fun bunny hopping the speed bumps and dodging the cars and buses on 'their' side of the road while overtaking all the bikes with shopping baskets etc.
Watch out for people stopping abruptly or just turning without looking. We were admiring a lycra clad girls rear end when a guy in front of her just turned right straight in front of her - took her straight down in a big pile of legs and wheels!
Old 30 March 2005, 07:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

and watch out for clipped in idiots ( like me )......FORCED to go to slow with enevitable results............................I meant Ditchling hill of course.....
Old 30 March 2005, 08:03 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

dont take it too seriously, as there are so many people doing the event that your caught up in traffic / stopping a lot of the time
Old 30 March 2005, 09:47 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Start early otherwise you get caught in huge bike jams at turners hill for example - earlier the better. Pace yourself - ditchling beacon is about 2/3 to 3/4 way in and its REALLY HARD. My tactic is just to get your head down, lowest gear and go for it - DONT STOP. Its pretty much all downhill after it so you can rest then. The beacon is about a 15min climb if I remember, and half the hazard is weaving round people who collapse. Just keep going, with a steady rythm (sp?) and you'll be surprised
Old 30 March 2005, 10:30 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Its actually Ditchling Beacon (Cycle up) and Ditchling Road (coast down to Seafront), not Ditchling Hill

I can't ride a bike but I used to live on Ditchlind road for about 15 years and its mayhem on the day.

They did the Tour-de-france down Ditchling Road about 10 years back, that was carnage.
Old 30 March 2005, 10:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Saw them come past the marina to finish on marine parade.........what i could see of it ....bit of a blur
Old 30 March 2005, 10:45 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Took a tumble today... before we started!

Huge scab, grazes on both legs, painful wrist and pain in both hands.

Still managed 15 miles today, so about a quarter of what is needed on the day. I'm hoping to get 20-25 miles under my belt over the weekend!

Spoke to a few of the regulars, they don't treat it as a race and keep up a pace of about 12.5 to 15 miles an hour.

We are starting at 6am, the earliest possible start time.

I'm sure there are some that will think that the London-Brighton is a bit girlie, but if I said I haven't been on a bike for 5-6 years and look at me, you'll know it will be an achievement!

Ditchling Beacon concerns me, but by the same respect I use to enjoy the hillclimb sections in spinning classes!

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 31 March 2005, 08:02 AM
*Jen*
Scooby Regular

Yup - planning on doing it anyway, been training for a swimathon up until last week, so L2B's been on the back burner... going to have to start thinking seriously about it now though!!

Also planning on doing it in a big group, and we are planning on taking all day. But would still like to be able to do it without too many problems.
Old 31 March 2005, 08:24 AM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

I did it last year, great fun and if it wasnt the same weekend as Le Mans, would be doing it again this year.

As some comments above, dont take it to seriously, its really easy, i did it with very little training at all and i am a big guy, 19 stone, it took 5 hours riding due to the sheer number of riders taking part.

try and aim for the earliest start time possible otherwise you have to walk up all the hills, Ditchling Beacon is the hardest aspect, with a couple of miles of extremely steep hill. the ride along the top and down the otherside is well worth the pain!!

best of luck, enjoy, take plenty of water on board and youll complete it no problem.
Old 20 June 2005, 05:04 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't this yesterday?

Tango et al, how did you get on? I read it was rather hot in the south...
Old 20 June 2005, 05:31 PM
ChrisB

He probally still can't sit down
Old 20 June 2005, 05:41 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tender backside Andy?
Old 20 June 2005, 06:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

blaady 'el, that came round quick...
Old 20 June 2005, 06:23 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

A big thanks to all the riders who chucked bottles/wrappers/litter etc on the roads round here. We all enjoyed having the place turned into a **** tip.

Old 20 June 2005, 07:26 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Andy completed it and got sunburnt

I don't think he has sat down since
Old 20 June 2005, 07:36 PM
datsunman
Scooby Regular

Typically late to the thread, I managed 4h 10mins and god do I hurt today! Andy, might have seen you somewhere along the line as I started at 6am too.

Oh, and it was a long walk up Ditchling Hill!!!
Old 20 June 2005, 08:00 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

next door neighbours both finished it...

she fell off and bruised wrist.....

on having an x ray today.... its broken and she is now in plaster..

but they both enjoyed it..

Mart
Old 20 June 2005, 08:24 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

well done on those that took part, i completed it a few years back, thankfully it wasnt as hot as yesterday. Even with padded shorts, it took a few days before i could jump in a seat again Well done
Old 20 June 2005, 10:02 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

The day went something like this:

Got up at 5am, load the bike on the car and drove over to Clapham Common.

Meet up with work colleagues and go through the start gate about about 6.40am and the temperature was already in the low 20's!!

All was going well until the first big hill, when there were hundreds of people trying to cycle up it and stopping and falling off. Problem is that it was difficult to get going again once you'd stopped, so loads of people walked their bikes up the hill, me included.

Round about 30 miles, I got cramp in my left thigh. Fortunately I was with one of the guys from work who helped me to the side of the road. A bit of a rest and we were on our way to meet up with the faster pack who were ahead at one of the refreshment stops.

I took it gently after this, cycling in 'granny gear' and walking up some of the bigger hills. About 10 miles later, there was a big roundabout and took a big wobble on exit and nearly came off!! About 300 yards after, both thighs cramped up. I couldn't walk, it was painful to stand, basically I had to grit my teeth of 10 minutes while they easied off. I called Caroline to get her ready to pick me up as I really didn't think I could finish it then! I thought I'd go onto the next stop and get a massage.

Legs easied up, so I cycled 8 miles all the way to the bottom of Ditchlin Beacon without stopping. I started to cycle up the beacon, but the burning sensation in my thighs told me not to be stupid!

I pushed the bike up the Beacon, but I couldn't see the other guys who said they would wait for me. So I rested up for 5 minutes, had a drink and started the final descent into Brighton.

I thought it's only 5 more miles and they should be downhill, so lets go for it.

So I enjoyed the view as I was cycling/freewheeling down into the Brighton, but it didn't hit me until I saw the see that I had cycled 54 miles from London to Brighton!

Got into Brighton at 12.30pm, and the lead pack of my work colleagues came in about 10 minutes after, as they were waiting me at the top of the beacon!

Today, my legs ache, I'm a little sandel sore, my right hand is numb, and my legs and arms burn (I stupidly forgot sunscreen)

I was the fastest of all the guys from work (despite the cramps, but thanks to cheeky overtake at Ditchlin Beacon) and the most red thanks to forgetting the sunscreen!

It didn't hit me until later, when it was nearly 30 degrees on the beach, but the breeze took the edge off. When we got home, it was 31-32 degrees and I realised that the 6 litres of fluid I took on probably wasn't enough and caused the cramps!

Before anyone asks.... never again!!

Quick Reply: Anyone doing or done the London to Brighton bike ride?