Default kit homes

anyone know anything about them or got it done

something like this

http://www.skyehomes.co.uk/
a house like this one

http://www.skyehomes.co.uk/skye-homes-kinloch.html

if i sell my house i get a profit of 200,000 pounds
after paying my mortgage etc etc

and i can get this kit for 47k plus i need land and bricks and roofing of course

i aint a builder but its very tempting to get someone to build me a house like this i hear it can cost a total of 150k and on the market this house will be worth over 300k

is it a good idea and anyone done this before

pls any info will be appreciated

cheers
Old 28 March 2005, 07:45 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moses, those same houses are getting built nr loch lomond, the builder is selling them for upwards of 400k

Its the way forward me thinks, but land in our area is hard to come by, unless you are in the know
Old 28 March 2005, 08:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

looks great ....................I guess the patch of land will be the expensive bit..
Old 28 March 2005, 08:30 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Moses, those same houses are getting built nr loch lomond, the builder is selling them for upwards of 400k

Its the way forward me thinks, but land in our area is hard to come by, unless you are in the know

lol mate u a fellow scot i didnt know bud nice one

i know mate, it will be awesome if i can find some nice land in chapelhall or lenzie area or kirkie mate, wish me luck

their ripping us off for new homes 5 bedrooms from 250k onwards

dpb i know bud wish me luck i hope i find a good builder and some nice cheap land
Old 28 March 2005, 08:34 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Big difference in your areas mate

I do know that in the near future there is land being released in the newhouse area
Old 28 March 2005, 08:39 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Big difference in your areas mate

I do know that in the near future there is land being released in the newhouse area

newhouse where is that bud

cheers
Old 28 March 2005, 08:41 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

next to chapelhall

Trending Topics

Old 28 March 2005, 08:42 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

haha nice one mate

my mate stays in chapelhall the falconry guy

is newhouse a nice area bud

cheers
Old 28 March 2005, 08:55 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

theres nothing in it apart from a few factorys

David Murray (the **** that owns the hun's )owns all the ground surrounding it & has built a golf course, he had planned years ago to make a MASSIVE leisure development but for some reason it didnt go ahead

So in the next few months the land is being sold off at plots for development

IIRC that they are upwards of 90k
Old 28 March 2005, 08:56 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

90k God forget it

if it was under 40k maybe
Old 28 March 2005, 09:00 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Typical
Old 28 March 2005, 09:06 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Typical

lol object of a home is if i can build one all in for 150k mate with no mortgage outstanding and the same house on the market will be worth 300k or even 250k

see for me to go and buy a 90k land its gonna cost be well over 200k to build the house too including the land

mate if a kit costs 47k and everything else from the builders and including building

how much do u think it will cost the builders to erect the kit and my choice of stone and slates and other plumbing and heating etc and windows, basically anything i need

how much do u think mate

cheers

ive been told 150k from the kit guys

including land they said roughly that much

u think its true

cheers
Old 28 March 2005, 09:11 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Yes i agree but i think you might have to scrimp & scrape on the fixtures & fittings for that kinda dosh, no matter how well you budget it will always go over its called a contingency plan

Try & maybe add 10k to 20k on top, you dont want to finish the house poorly as it will take away from its value
Old 28 March 2005, 09:13 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Yes i agree but i think you might have to scrimp & scrape on the fixtures & fittings for that kinda dosh, no matter how well you budget it will always go over its called a contingency plan

Try & maybe add 10k to 20k on top, you dont want to finish the house poorly as it will take away from its value

true mate, i best get an architect first, i hear they know good builders and will try to negotiate better prices and check everything is in order

thanks bud wish me luck

i like that kit i showed u, it will be nice to have a massive garden so i can keep my falcons and hawks

cheers
Old 28 March 2005, 09:16 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Yeah good luck

I have looked into it & when i sort the old money problems its next on the list

It will be nice & well worth it

All the best
Old 28 March 2005, 09:29 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I remember seeing a programme about kit homes not so long ago. The kits are made in Germany, and shipped over - and a team of German guys assemble the whole thing in a few weeks.

The finished result probably wouldnt be to everyones taste, but looked very modern, and had some nice features. Seem to remember the cost being something like 150k, but of course the plot of land with planning permission is what really costs.

Also isnt there some new legislation coming in very soon which is set to massively increase the cost of getting planning permission?
Old 28 March 2005, 09:35 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Petem95
I remember seeing a programme about kit homes not so long ago. The kits are made in Germany, and shipped over - and a team of German guys assemble the whole thing in a few weeks.

The finished result probably wouldnt be to everyones taste, but looked very modern, and had some nice features. Seem to remember the cost being something like 150k, but of course the plot of land with planning permission is what really costs.

Also isnt there some new legislation coming in very soon which is set to massively increase the cost of getting planning permission?

dont know bud but i think the kit homes will be cool coz all the new homes are kits as well if u didnt notice persimmons, wimpy, bryant, bellway their all kits

but good builders

sti 04 good luck to u too mate

my dream land has always been loch lomond balloch or balmaha, but its impossible bloody expensive up their bud

if i didnt make bad mistakes in business when i was a teenager maybe then i could afford it, i spent alot of money trying to save the business when i was young when my dad passed away may he rest in peace, and i tried to save my dads hard work, but to no avail, sometimes its better not to throw money in a business thats drowning, its like throwing money in a well, i was young and so was my brother, alot of people gave us the wrong advice , we didnt need advisors, they minted money out of us and became rich themselves, may Gods wrath be upon them sick b@stards, taking young teenagers money like that.

let me tell u all something, your , your own best friend, no one including your cousins or people related to u really care for u, when u are young and rich, the people u luv and care for like your relatives are jealous and want to see u go down

i learned the hard way

but hey they cant do nothing im still here so is my lil bros and family God is the protecter, he protects u from the vultures
Old 28 March 2005, 09:38 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

and the hawks & falcons
Old 28 March 2005, 09:47 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

and the hawks & falcons

lol i like the hawk and falcon birds but not the humankind ones

makes me sick and sad bud when i remember the old times, i feel so sad and hurt when i hear other peoples business's go down, it hurts me bad, coz i know how it feels, i suffered alot myself in my younger days and its not nice to see others suffer, i wish i was that rich i could help others, i helped alot of people in my life but when i needed help its only God, my mum my wife and my brother who helped me, but the ones i helped when i was suffering myself, they dont give u a second glance

b@stards
Old 29 March 2005, 08:14 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

moses - not sure about this where you live (so it's worth checking planning law in general before you act on this), but the easiest way to get a planning consent in england, subject to buying the right thing of course, is to buy an old bungalow or house and submit an application on that site for a replacement dwelling. obviously helps if you buy in a street/area where this has been done before as this can set a precedent, but if you buy something that's an eyesore (having made investigations with the planners beforehand), then you could perhaps justify the replacement dwelling as an improvement on the appearance of the site. worth checking out - people often sell a building for what the building is worth rather than what the land is worth - check out what's for sale in your area and think laterally!
Old 29 March 2005, 12:11 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Your biggest problem will be cashflow. You'll have to buy the land up front. All the time the kit is being constructed you will be paying for the work as it is done. You will also be paying for somewhere to live. You may be able to get a mortgage on the part complete property.

If it was really a lot cheaper then the big housing companies would buy and erect kits instead of building new.

Also consider your long term guarantees, the kit supplier will not guarantee the work of other trades, so you have multiple points of contact if anything goes wrong.
Old 29 March 2005, 12:48 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I feel sorry for the builders..

If it's anything like your car you'll be changing the spec every other day lol

Wonder if JUN can make house parts?, carbon GT spec guttering.
Old 29 March 2005, 12:51 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I feel sorry for the builders..

If it's anything like your car you'll be changing the spec every other day lol

Wonder if JUN can make house parts?, carbon GT spec guttering.
lol u cheeky sod, u know me by now dont u haha i changed my spec more than anyone in the uk me thinks by the way i done the same with my current house i changed the rooms and driveway alot of times

richard thanks for the advice bud, sounds a better idea mate to get a messed up house on a nice land and then get permission , cheers mate will check it out

and speedking, cheers for the advice bud, u can get these new kinda mortgages now they release funds while building, and also i thought the new homes like bryant and persimmons and wimpys were kit homes too

if it isnt, whats the difference

cheers
Old 29 March 2005, 01:20 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Good luck with it mate
Old 29 March 2005, 01:29 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Kit = timber framed. Lifespan = ?

Traditional build = structural block inner skin with decorative weatherproofing brick outer. Its the bricklayers that cost the money and make the kit seem attractive.

But don't expect to see many kits still standing in 100 years time, let alone 200 or 300.

Modern buildings have a design life in mind. If this is 40 years then they must be refurbished or replaced at that time. Think how that affects your 25 year mortgage. Or your resale value within say 5 years of that design life.

IMO this is a hidden cost which will come home to roost not far into the future.

What is the design life of the kit you propose to purchase?
Old 29 March 2005, 01:31 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by speedking
Kit = timber framed. Lifespan = ?

Traditional build = structural block inner skin with decorative weatherproofing brick outer. Its the bricklayers that cost the money and make the kit seem attractive.

But don't expect to see many kits still standing in 100 years time, let alone 200 or 300.

Modern buildings have a design life in mind. If this is 40 years then they must be refurbished or replaced at that time. Think how that affects your 25 year mortgage. Or your resale value within say 5 years of that design life.

IMO this is a hidden cost which will come home to roost not far into the future.

What is the design life of the kit you propose to purchase?

mate cheers just been told about those traditionally built ones, i better go for one of them i actually didnt know the difference i thought it was the same but it aint

thanks

james cheers bros wish me luck
Old 29 March 2005, 02:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

go for which kit or whimpey?.................

btw ............most american homes are wooden...... so they have fire hydrants on every corner, but even so theres quite a few 100 year old buildings....
Old 29 March 2005, 03:34 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by dpb
go for which kit or whimpey?.................

btw ............most american homes are wooden...... so they have fire hydrants on every corner, but even so theres quite a few 100 year old buildings....
lol mate they have the weather for it we dont we need stone
Old 29 March 2005, 03:48 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

moses - i work for a developer and we have never built anything completely timber framed as far as i am aware. sometimes first floor in timber frame with brick/block ground floor structure though. there are numerous differences between the two (people walking around new houses always tap the plasterboard walls then roll their eyes for instance). timber framed construction is generally quicker than traditional and after being very popular in the early 70's, then again in the early 80's frowned on in the late 80's after "britain's premier housebuilder..." suffered a lot of bad pubilicity from a few badly built plots; now it's very popular again. at the end of the day, it's a personal preference thing...
Old 29 March 2005, 04:24 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

It's everyone else's (and the Building Society's) personal preference when you come to sell

Quick Reply: kit homes