Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Top Gear - is it true that the next series will be on Sky?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2005, 07:02 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Top Gear - is it true that the next series will be on Sky?

As above. A friend has informed me of this. Anyone know if Sky have bought the rights off BBC?

Nick
Old 28 March 2005, 09:24 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Doubt it, its a totally BBC produced programme? Having it on Sky would be like having Channel4 news go out on BBC1.

Might you I wouldnt put anything past the old state-propaganda channel these days - they'll probably start putting their popular programmes on pay-per-view or something soon
Old 28 March 2005, 10:12 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I did hear however that new studios for filming TG to be built nearer to Clarkson's home was being proposed...where all the locals to the area were all up in arms at the "disturbance" that it would cause.

So, putting 2 and 2 together would suggest they are building new studios, funded by a source external to the BBC, so that Sky could broadcast it.

Obviously it could never be called "Top Gear" as the BBC own the rights to it. But there is nothing stopping Clarkson, Hammond etc signing a contract with Sky to produce a similar car orientated show.
Much like when the old Top Gear presenters went to Channel 5 (5th Gear) when they got given the boot after the show fell off its peak and crumbled into the most boring car program since Top Gears first years in the early 80's.

Clarky always makes comical digs at the BBC's tight budgets (which could well be true), if he ever gets offered a more desirable contract by Sky he may well go. I wouldn't like it though, as if that happened it would ruin the show - too many middle men, script writers, PR, management etc will jump in and turn it into an hour long car commercial.

Last edited by Shark Man; 28 March 2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 28 March 2005, 10:14 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I did hear however that new studios for filming TG to be built nearer to Clarkson's home was being proposed...where all the locals to the area were all up in arms at the "disturbance" that it would cause.

So, putting 2 and 2 together would suggest they are building new studios, funded by a source external to the BC, so that Sky could broadcast it.

Obviously it could never be called "Top Gear" as the BBC own the rights to it. But there is nothing stopping Clarkson, Hammond etc signing a contract with Sky to produce a similar car orientated show.
Much like when the old Top Gear presenters went to Channel 5 (5th Gear) when they got given the boot after the show fell off its peak and crumbled into the most boring car program since Top Gears first years in the early 80's.

Clarky always makes comical digs at the BBC's tight budgets (which could well be true), if he ever gets offered a more desirable contract by Sky he may well go leave. I wouldn't like it though, as if that happened it would ruin the show - too many middle men, script writers, PR, management etc will jump in and turn it into an hour long car commercial.
No, the new studio etc. is for the BBC not sky.
Old 28 March 2005, 10:15 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Well that is typical of me for putting 2+2 together and getting 10....doh!
Old 28 March 2005, 10:17 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Well that is typical of me for putting 2+2 together and getting 10....doh!
Old 29 March 2005, 04:38 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

Its not Top Gear now and never will be until they bring back Tiff, Quentin and Vicki.

Dont get me wrong, I like the new "Top Gear", but it should be called "Jeremy's Rantings with James May and the Short One, oh and some nice cars."

Trending Topics

Old 29 March 2005, 04:58 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Angry
Its not Top Gear now and never will be until they bring back Tiff, Quentin and Vicki.

Dont get me wrong, I like the new "Top Gear", but it should be called "Jeremy's Rantings with James May and the Short One, oh and some nice cars."
True He could be taking about anything and he'd pull in an audience.
Old 29 March 2005, 07:31 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

. But there is nothing stopping Clarkson, Hammond etc signing a contract with Sky to produce a similar car orientated show.
You can bet your bottom dollar that there is something in their contracts that would put a stop to just that sort of thing happening... this is the BBC we're talking about.
Old 29 March 2005, 10:53 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

If Tiff, Quentin and Vicki are so good, why is 5th Gear the dullest car show on TV???

Everyone criticises TG but carry on watching it week after week.

I tried 5th Gear again, and it's still cack so I don't think I'll bother again! Roll on the new series of TG, but please don't bring Tiff, Quentin or Vicki!
Old 30 March 2005, 06:57 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I don't think that Tiff, Quentin or Vicki are bad presenters. They just have a poor programme to work on.
I mean, why keep telling us whats "coming up" in the show even 10mins before the end! . The competitions have the typically obvious answers just to feed the phone company.
This is not the fault of Tiff, Quentin or Vicki though.

Nick
Old 30 March 2005, 07:36 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Keep them three off of TG please! Quentin, even more a pseudo posh tw@t than James May (who is pretty cool). VBH nowadays is fat and butch, need I go on? Tiff is like a cross betweeen Paul Daniels and Jools Holland - annoying wheedly-voiced, know-all.

That said Jason Plato would be a good addition to the TG team.
Old 30 March 2005, 08:02 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Keep them three off of TG please! Quentin, even more a pseudo posh tw@t than James May (who is pretty cool). VBH nowadays is fat and butch, need I go on? Tiff is like a cross betweeen Paul Daniels and Jools Holland - annoying wheedly-voiced, know-all.

That said Jason Plato would be a good addition to the TG team.
lol! at VBH comment.

She's starting to look like that karate spice/ Mel ABC or whatever she's called.
Old 30 March 2005, 08:34 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Hmm... postively yawn-some 20 minutes of German open top cars, with boys flattering their "driving superstar" egos, and 10 minutes of VBH not being run over!

Why would anyone who enjoys cars/car programmes endure that pile of tripe??

Maybe it's the format of the show, but they choose to have their names associated with this rubbish!
Old 30 March 2005, 10:39 AM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by skoobidude
As above. A friend has informed me of this. Anyone know if Sky have bought the rights off BBC?

Nick
TG is shown on SKY in repeat format, UKTV I think. Are you sure your mate's not having a blonde day?

Blobster
Old 30 March 2005, 11:02 AM
Krade
Scooby Regular

wasnt it something like the original production crew fell out with the BBC and so went to Channel 5 to make a clone of topgear with Tiff & VBH.
Old 30 March 2005, 12:52 PM
New_scooby_04

It's already on sky (UK horizons generally), but just repeats of the BBC series. It'll be staying with the BBC.

NS04
Old 30 March 2005, 02:52 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Driven on C4 was good for the first few series but that went cack. 5th Gear is rubbish cause it's basically..whats coming up in tonights episode...3 mins of crap...competition...whats coming up...3mins of crap...advert...whats coming up...competition reminder...3 mins of crap...coming up next week...competition reminder....end credits