Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

11 year old daughter wants a puppy...

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2005, 10:59 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11 year old daughter wants a puppy...

It's my daughter's birthday today and she is devastated that she didn't get a puppy.

My wife had a dog when she was a child, as did my family, but I don't like dogs and do not want the hairs and mess in the house.

Does anyone have any advice on quiet, obedient, hairless dogs that don't need walking and are cheap to run?!

She is very upset and I want to give in to her, but can't see myself living with a smelly dog, even though I know it would make her happy

Last edited by DJ140; 27 March 2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 27 March 2005, 11:06 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

pls dont bud, biggest mistake u will make, u will need to look after it as your wife would mate

kids cry and pester for pets, but def dont recommend it bud, i was 12 when i bought my rottweiller she was 6 weeks old i had her for 13 yrs , i loved her to bits and my dad never ever wanted me to get it, i know why now, see i have a big garden and it used to run about their and i took it for granted not taking her out for walks too often , being at school then at mosque and work even when i was young it was too much to look after a massive dog

get her a goldfish or even a cat, its easier to look after
Old 28 March 2005, 08:18 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Misconception that dogs are smelly. Ideal age for your daughter to have a dog and learn about responsibility. There are lots of dogs that don't moult... a small, fun and intelligent dog that would be ideal is a Border Terrier.
Old 28 March 2005, 08:24 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

bedlington no hair loss,very good guard dog and a very good pet but not cheap
Old 28 March 2005, 08:32 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ask her if she wants a dog instead, if she says yess then she might look after the thing after 2 weeks?
Old 28 March 2005, 08:55 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Has she had pets before and shown that she can be committed after the initial euphoria has died down e.g. Hamster/Guinea Pig/Rabbit? That would be a good indication.

Is your house such that you could keep puppy or dog in one room, with stairgate or whatever so that house is kept free-ish from wee on carpet, hairs etc

Personally I like dogs but they can be a bind and if you don't really like them to start with then it could all end in tears.......

Edited to add a vote for a Cavalier. Fantastic characters and great with kids and people. Don't require miles of walks. But they will leave hair although a regular brush helps a lot. Breed weakness is usually heart related. DL

Last edited by David Lock; 28 March 2005 at 08:59 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 28 March 2005, 10:37 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

just buy me a dog daddy i hate clothes and i have nothing else to do in my life please daddy please!!!!
Old 28 March 2005, 10:50 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down i HATE dresses

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Your daughter's upset. She'll get over it. Next week she'll want a new dress she saw one of her fav pop stars wearing. The week after that it'll be a the makeup she sees mummy wearing. Then she'll want to go to school in a minp-skirt. Gonna give in just because *she wants* it? What about when she has her first boyfriend and wants to let him stay over??

It all starts now (though it sounds like it has started already). It's a toughj old world out here and the sooner she finds out the better ...

Dave

PS: God, that sounds harsh to an 11 year old ..... :-)
hi,
dresses mate no i rather prefer jeans since i hate dresses and i hate all postars since im not bothered what they are wearing.

i have had lots of animals and i still have a bunny and guinniea pig!!
i have walked loads of other peoples dogs as i did yesterday with a pot round my leg and in the rain and it made me smile!!! i have bought my dad a book on dogs and made a dog book with 1000 pictures of dogs in ,i cotherd my dads bed in teddys and i put a picture of me and my relations dog (holly)and i put it on his bedside cabinet!!!!

i was thinking of a border collie since i have a lot of responsibility to take care of it with since i have got all the love
what do you think???
remember i HATE dresses and popstars!!!
Old 28 March 2005, 10:59 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DJ140
hi,
dresses mate no i rather prefer jeans since i hate dresses and i hate all postars since im not bothered what they are wearing.

i have had lots of animals and i still have a bunny and guinniea pig!!
i have walked loads of other peoples dogs as i did yesterday with a pot round my leg and in the rain and it made me smile!!! i have bought my dad a book on dogs and made a dog book with 1000 pictures of dogs in ,i cotherd my dads bed in teddys and i put a picture of me and my relations dog (holly)and i put it on his bedside cabinet!!!!

i was thinking of a border collie since i have a lot of responsibility to take care of it with since i have got all the love
what do you think???
remember i HATE dresses and popstars!!!
Tell your Dad to buy you a Dog and for him to stop being so cruel to his little princess - Ask him if he really loves you or not
Old 28 March 2005, 11:03 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Sound words jasey
Old 28 March 2005, 11:03 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

If you are going to get a dog I certainly wouldn't go for a collie, unless you live on a farm. They are better as working dogs than pets.
Old 28 March 2005, 11:11 AM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

my other half and i spent the best part of a year researching every dog breed known to man before deciding which one was best for us. it is not something which you should take lightly, because lets face it, YOU will be feeding it, walking it and cleaning it sh*t up after it( and if its anything like my rhodesian ridgeback, it does a lot of all three!).
make sure the whole family wants a dog, otherwise it will make for a very unhappy household!
Old 28 March 2005, 11:11 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

GET A GRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is 11........she cant feed it, walk it, take it to the vets....NOTHING.

and when the dog is 10 and she is 21 who's going to have it then??????

DO NOT BUY HER A DOG!!!!
Old 28 March 2005, 11:16 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop
Ideal age for your daughter to have a dog and learn about responsibility.

????? shes 11!!!!

the only thing she needs to be resposible for is keeping her room tidy.
Old 28 March 2005, 11:21 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

11/12 year olds can feed dogs, walk them, brush them and generally look after them. Possibly take it to the Vets on the bus if push comes to shove.

But yes you do need to consider the medium and longer term aspects as you know you will end up as "registered keeper" if not owner.
Old 28 March 2005, 11:28 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

A dog is a big commitment and expensive with food vet bills and the damage to house and belongings.

They require lots of time you have to walk them and play with them and train them. Holidays you either take them or put them in Kennel's all of which cost money they live for 9-15 years so what happens when she is 15 and discovers boys? (The dog is at its peak and she loses interest) Who will be out in the cold rain on a dark winter’s night walking round the streets for an hour? And don’t think that it’s fair to not walk them every day as would you want to be left in a house bored for days on end? You have to think of the dog as much as the Child. If you don’t stimulate the dog it will use its brain to destroy you house, they are not destructive by nature but need to be entertained like children.

They aren’t toys to be taken out when you want and ignored when you are ill or have home work or going out with your friends. They are a family commitment not just for your daughter. Also would you be happy with her walking the dog for an hour on her own at 11 years old every day? If not who will go out with her every day? Do you have time for an hour a day or lots more with a lot of breeds? Who will find 5mins-30 mins a day to brush the dog? Who will scoop it mess from your garden? A cat is so much easier and when she leaves home for Uni and it is left behind you don’t have a lot of work to look after it for her!

And yes I do own a dog in fact I have lived with dogs all my life and got "MY" first one when I was 10 and now living on my own with nobody to share dog walking etc I realise how much work my parents did to make my dream possible including walking the dog round the streets at 11pm at night because it was a puppy and it was driving every body in the house mad with its playing and I was in bed asleep as I had school the next day.
Old 28 March 2005, 11:34 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
????? shes 11!!!!

the only thing she needs to be resposible for is keeping her room tidy.
Your comment is absolute bollox! Stop living in the 20th century...
Old 28 March 2005, 11:38 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get her a couple of rats!

No, really, they are superb pets!

They are very clean, live til about 2 years old only, get 2 so when she loses interest they have each other and buy a big cage (about £50)

They don't bite and will give her something in her room to look after

They come highly recommended from me!

Pete
Old 28 March 2005, 01:37 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Your comment is absolute bollox! Stop living in the 20th century...

no...your suggestion she get a dog is bollox.

How can an 11 year old make a choice as to what she wants to be responsible for over the next 10 -15 years?

This is not a family keen for a pet and wanting to use it as a chance to teach the kid some lessons in life.

The poster DOESNT EVEN LIKE DOGS....he would only be getting it TO KEEP THE KID HAPPY.

You should read the post rather than dive in with your "i love dogs.....everyone should have one" attitude.

The only lesson this kid needs to learn is that you dont allways get want you want.

T
Old 28 March 2005, 01:54 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

If i had an 11 year old ............shes get whats shes given and like it......... what if shes 17 and wants a R34 going to get one of them too..........
Old 28 March 2005, 02:51 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by super_si
If i had an 11 year old ............shes get whats shes given and like it......... what if shes 17 and wants a R34 going to get one of them too..........
Im so sorry but i dont agree with any1 saying I souldent get a dog all my life i have wanted 1 and i have never got 1.My dad broke my heart this b-day and it nearly killed me.no 1 understands how much i have wanted 1 and i have walked to and from school that at night with my nextdoor neighbers dog in the rain and in the snow so u cannot say i dont look after a dog i have been doing this for er.........4 weeks probably!!!!! i wont loose interest in it coz all my neighbers have dogs and my mum has a field for the dog to run wild in....

so if u have the heart to help me persuade my dad to get me 1 please reply and help me !!!!
Old 28 March 2005, 02:57 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
no...your suggestion she get a dog is bollox.

How can an 11 year old make a choice as to what she wants to be responsible for over the next 10 -15 years?

This is not a family keen for a pet and wanting to use it as a chance to teach the kid some lessons in life.

The poster DOESNT EVEN LIKE DOGS....he would only be getting it TO KEEP THE KID HAPPY.

You should read the post rather than dive in with your "i love dogs.....everyone should have one" attitude.

The only lesson this kid needs to learn is that you dont allways get want you want.

T
God give me strength, perhaps before you 'dive in' and give one your usual predicted **** replies, maybe YOU should read the first post very, very carefully! Of course an 11 year old girl can be responsible for a dog. Do you live on another planet or stuck in some sort of time warp?

Wake up and smell the coffee and shove your boring views where the sun don't shine!
Old 28 March 2005, 02:58 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

God give me strength, perhaps before you 'dive in' and give one your usual predicted **** replies, maybe YOU should read the first post very, very carefully! Of course an 11 year old girl can be responsible for a dog. Do you live on another planet or stuck in some sort of time warp?

Wake up and smell the coffee and shove your boring views where the sun don't shine!

Thanks, you saved me saying the same thing
Old 28 March 2005, 03:11 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kellicious

Thanks, you saved me saying the same thing
u lot rock the other 1s suck!!!
Old 28 March 2005, 03:13 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

<Smug grin>
Old 28 March 2005, 03:15 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Originally Posted by DJ140
u lot rock the other 1s suck!!!
Hi im the person who posted the first problem well i guese i adore dog i just dont know how to surprise her how shall i do it i really need help on this one!!!
Old 28 March 2005, 03:16 PM
Kellicious
Scooby Regular

I take it by that you've decided to go for it then? Are you gonna rescue one?
Old 28 March 2005, 03:19 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Kellicious
I take it by that you've decided to go for it then? Are you gonna rescue one?
ok that was a lie im the posters daughter the 11 year old 1 please help me to get 1 and plzz dont send dont get a puppy 1s.
Old 28 March 2005, 03:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe she would like a pony ....

...they live outside ....thus no mess....sorted......

Quick Reply: 11 year old daughter wants a puppy...