Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jamie Oliver for Prime Minister.

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2005, 09:44 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Jamie Oliver for Prime Minister.

He should go into politics, the guy's a god!!!

UB
Old 16 March 2005, 09:48 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Why? What's the swollen tongued mockney done now?
Old 16 March 2005, 09:50 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Jerome
Why? What's the swollen tongued mockney done now?
That's the kind of tabliod name I was taught to call him until I found out what he stands for.
Old 16 March 2005, 09:52 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck

UB
Agreed. He tells it as it is not as the public want to hear it.
Old 16 March 2005, 09:55 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

That's the kind of tabliod name I was taught to call him until I found out what he stands for.
As he doesn't get much press in Canada, I'm out of touch with what he is doing now. The last I heard he was training ungrateful wasters to be chefs. So, enlighten me, what does he stand for?
Old 16 March 2005, 09:59 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Here you go -

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsi...chool_dinners/

Of course, and needless to say Clarke made all the right noises face-to-face, and then the Government (Ruth Kelly) shafted his plans.

Typical. Vote the ****ers out.
Old 16 March 2005, 10:14 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Angry Agree with that - Government back down yet again

The Government could quite easily change school dinners on a national level within months and what do they do instead? Not a lot. Junk food could be banned. Training provision could be paid for and a % of the speed camera revenue could be utilised to pay for it all

Seriously, the Government need to pull their fingers out and get something done. About time they went IMHO.

Mossman

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2005, 11:07 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Problem is that the Junk Food lobby is immensely powerful. The big multinational junk food producers control the food industry of this country, in league with the supermarket giants. The producers of 'ready meals'. The junk food we eat at home.

I'm sure that after the fake consultations, and the appropriate sound bites having been issued, the government will probably regard Jamie Oliver as an 'enemy of the state' and place him under house arrest.
Old 16 March 2005, 11:12 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The general public wont pay a bit more council tax,Jamie said 15p per pupil per day,to pay for this,but they think nothing of buying a packet of crisps (40p) when they get petrol,or a mars bar ,or some crap coffee from a vending machine.

Not logical is it?
Old 16 March 2005, 11:14 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Problem is that the Junk Food lobby is immensely powerful. The big multinational junk food producers control the food industry of this country, in league with the supermarket giants. The producers of 'ready meals'. The junk food we eat at home.
Totally agree UB.
Old 16 March 2005, 11:15 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UB
UB.... FFS!!!

If Jamie can do it then so could Alan Shearer! he would get my vote!

Stick with the issues mate, not the personalities!
Old 16 March 2005, 11:21 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

fecking right he should, next generation love him allready so if he starts now, he will become top man in this country, hes got all that a person needs to lead as hes proved allready...

UB
Old 16 March 2005, 11:23 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

i luv that guy he is awesome

he will be a good pm but i wish ken livingstone was one
Old 16 March 2005, 11:26 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry moses, I'll agree to disagree with you on this one, Ken livingstone falls under the same category as Tony Bliar, Gordon Brown, Ruth Kelly, Tessa Jowell, Gweneth Paltrow, Coldplay and Starsailor in my book:

"People that should be tied up, chucked in a pit and set on fire"

IMHO
Old 16 March 2005, 11:40 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The part I really approved of was when he employed 'shock tactics'. He showed those kids what junk food is really made of. Once they saw it they were instantly converted to eating real food.

"I just didn't know" said one lad. Indeed. That's the point. People need to be educated, then they can make a choice.

The other interesting part was when the teachers reported that the pupils’ behavior had improved after lunch. With less disruption and noise, the class settled down quietly to work.

Jamie was amazed, but I wasn't. Behavior is dietetically determined. Cut out junk food and you can cut out bad behavior.
Old 16 March 2005, 11:45 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

unclebuck for prime minister Everything you said is "spot on"
Old 16 March 2005, 11:55 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Simple. School lunches free for all, no junk food, don't allow the students off site at lunchtime and no home provided packed lunches.
Too radical?
Old 17 March 2005, 12:47 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I'll take back with what I called Jamie. God forbid the UK goes the way of the US in the obesity scale.

moses,

Have you ever lived in, or even been to, London? Livingstone is a total and utter menace and is doing his best to screw London up. He is solely responsible for Congestion Charging and the debacle that is Trafalgar Square (amongst other hairbrained schemes). He has also been on record as saying "Cars, I hate the lot of them. If I ever get to power again, I'll ban the lot". A few years later he was Mayor and doing his best to live up to that. He is second in my league of people I hate (just below Blair). You also must have missed his anti-semetic comments recently. You of all people I would have thought to despise racists - regardless of whom they choose to discriminate against.
Old 17 March 2005, 05:45 AM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Have you ever lived in, or even been to, London? Livingstone is a total and utter menace and is doing his best to screw London up. He is solely responsible for Congestion Charging and the debacle that is Trafalgar Square (amongst other hairbrained schemes). He has also been on record as saying "Cars, I hate the lot of them. If I ever get to power again, I'll ban the lot". A few years later he was Mayor and doing his best to live up to that. He is second in my league of people I hate (just below Blair). You also must have missed his anti-semetic comments recently. You of all people I would have thought to despise racists - regardless of whom they choose to discriminate against.
erm who put livingstone there, oh yeah the people in London, serves them right, you make your choices and anyway who cares about london most of the UK population dont live there.
Anti semitic comments? you did not see Frost on sunday last week or read reports of the interview, he gave good reasoned defence of his hounding by the gutter press that led to that comment, I listened to both sides and agree with him now, no apology due. only the press themselves whipped that one up.
Old 17 March 2005, 08:52 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Problem with the Mayor election, is that for every person that reads through the manisfesto and votes on an informed decision, there are 10 voters that don't give a ****, and another 5 that will vote for a personality. Then you have a tory candidate that sould have been put out to graze, the labour candidate who thouight all he needed to do was turn up, and rebel Ken, the ******* labour throwback. The media coverage of Kens plight to stick 2 fingers up to the government was the main reason for his popularity with the puppy voters who were having their nappy changed whilst Ken was ****ing up the GLC
Old 17 March 2005, 12:17 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Livingstone is a total and utter menace and is doing his best to screw London up.
You mean it isn't already

He'd get my vote
Old 17 March 2005, 01:31 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

He's just an annoying t1t in my opinion

Schools should provide good food and not junk, but it costs more money to do so which is one reason why many of them don't, (also junk food is easier to prepare, keeps longer etc).

Of course if the kids ate properly at home, then it wouldn't be such an issue at school. Why is it these days that schools seem to be responsible for everything and the parents not responsible for anything?

When I was a lad, (under the conservative government), I never had school dinners, but instead took a packed lunch every day. School dinners were junk then, and are junk now. No major changes there, but kids health is getting worse. Why? Because they are not getting the same high standards of nutrition at home.

IMO, the parents should be having the education as well as the kids....
Old 17 March 2005, 01:39 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Sympathy
erm who put livingstone there, oh yeah the people in London, serves them right, you make your choices and anyway who cares about london most of the UK population dont live there.
Anti semitic comments? you did not see Frost on sunday last week or read reports of the interview, he gave good reasoned defence of his hounding by the gutter press that led to that comment, I listened to both sides and agree with him now, no apology due. only the press themselves whipped that one up.
It's often fairly difficult to watch UK television programmes from Canada, so no I didn't see Frost. Maybe he isn't anti-semetic, but most people will still consider him to be, because he didn't apologise publically. If he doesn't like the hounding of the gutter press, he shouldn't be in public office - it comes with the job. I find it difficult to believe his comments could be justified though, especially when he was made aware (if he didn't already know) of the fact the journo in question was Jewish. If he wasn't so damn arrogant and had apologised immediately, it would have hardly been blown up like it was. Also, has he wondered why he is hounded so much?

Yes, he was voted in initially by Londoners, but, as mentioned, people voted for a personality. How quickly Londoners forgot about the GLC and the madness he presided over then. Also, the official Labour candidate won hardly any votes because he had a beard (Labour officials even asked him to shave it off for the election). As ridiculous as that sounds, many of the voting public in London actually cited this as why they didn't vote for him.

Many of the people I worked with at the time of the mayoral election were ardent Ken fans. They soon changed their tune when he started his hare brained schemes.

As for who cares about London, I do! Over 10% of the UK population live there. If you don't care about the nations capital, fine. I was responding to someone voicing admiration of Ken with, I suspect, no idea about what Ken was really about. Viewing him through rose tinted rebel loving spectacles probably.

Lastly, I find it rather sad that it seems to be trendy for people to knock London - even if they've never been there, let alone lived there. There are plenty of places I've been in the UK I didn't like, but I don't slag them off at every opportunity. That's one band wagon I'd like to see crash.
Old 17 March 2005, 01:40 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I like Jamie Oliver, regardless of what people that have never met him say. Talk about bandwagons

He always comes accross as a decent lad, nice family, good at what he does and all round decent chap.

Just a shame scummy papers have to stick their noses in and "persuade" everyone that hes a tosser
Old 17 March 2005, 01:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I don't read the papers or follow bandwagons. I just find him immensely annoying whenever I see him on the telly.
Old 17 March 2005, 02:15 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Forget about whether or not you 'find him annoying', which is completely irrelevent, and consider what he is actually trying to do to save childrens' health and ultimately lives. He seems to care a lot more than scummy politicians like Clarke, Kelly etc.
Old 17 March 2005, 02:20 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

So following that logic, if pslewis spoke up in favour of the same childrens health issues in the same way that mr Oliver is doing, you'd want him as prime minister as well then?

I wasn't disagreeing with what Jamie is preeching, I just don't like the bloke, and a leader should be voted in base on more than one policy, however good it is....
Old 17 March 2005, 02:44 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The part I really approved of was when he employed 'shock tactics'. He showed those kids what junk food is really made of. Once they saw it they were instantly converted to eating real food.

"I just didn't know" said one lad. Indeed. That's the point. People need to be educated, then they can make a choice.

The other interesting part was when the teachers reported that the pupils’ behavior had improved after lunch. With less disruption and noise, the class settled down quietly to work.

Jamie was amazed, but I wasn't. Behavior is dietetically determined. Cut out junk food and you can cut out bad behavior.
well said.
Old 17 March 2005, 04:14 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
i luv that guy he is awesome

he will be a good pm but i wish ken livingstone was one
Ken Livingstone? He is the kind of a man that you would use as a blueprint to build an idiot.

Quick Reply: Jamie Oliver for Prime Minister.