Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question's for those who have imported

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2005, 07:32 PM
330uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question's for those who have imported

Does anybody have any experience on bringing a JDM car home from the docks. I mean once the car has been cleared through customs and all paperwork is upto scratch.

When a Japanese imported car lands at the docks, how do you get it home ? If I bring trade plates will they let me drive the car away from the docks ? Ive been told by the clearing agent they are very strict about letting the cars leave the docks. So he is recommending a transport company who are charging an arm and a leg to take the car 60miles. Im sure the clearing agent is making something from it as well. They are not my trade plates, a friends and I want to send him to bring the car. Will work out cheaper than damn transport company

Obviously its not got an MOT or any road tax, also not registered so will it be eligable to drive on trade plates. Will they let it leave with trade plates on.

Also Im confussed about something else.
DVLA want the car insured before I can register it. This is fine but I need a registeration number to insure the car. If I can't register, how can I get insurance. Catch 22 situation..
Old 27 February 2005, 09:36 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

As long as the car has some form of insurance and your friend has insurance that covers him to drive the car it should be okay. To get car insured get your mate to put it on his traders policy.
Old 27 February 2005, 09:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You can get insurance on the chassis number. My insurance company was quite happy to do this for the time between my car arriving in the UK and being registered.
Old 28 February 2005, 12:14 AM
Pauleds2
Scooby Regular

Hire a car trailer for the day mate.Drive it on,tow it home,take trailer back. Gotta be cheaper than a transport company.
Old 28 February 2005, 07:17 PM
330uk
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys guys. Probably will get a trailer and tow it back.

Ive never bought a car like this before. Always gone the easy route and visited a dealer. But this time I want to import myself.

Do you know what happens when the car lands. What do I need to do at the docks. I mean do I just take my documents, show the documents, pay the VAT and customs and then they give me the car keys.
Or do I still have to get an agent to clear the car for me ?