Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TIME FOR A CHANGE. HUGE SPEED CAMERA PROTEST. MAKE A STAND!

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2005, 09:29 AM
euphonium_john
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIME FOR A CHANGE. HUGE SPEED CAMERA PROTEST. MAKE A STAND!

The time has come to stand and be counted. Enough is enough!

I’m guessing that there are many people who are getting kinda fed up with the ridiculous amounts of gatso’s kicking about and laser vans etc. etc. etc who are operating under the veil of being for safety when actually they are there to generate revenue – pure and simple.

It’s seems that the humble motorist weather it be someone who has a performance car – or classic car, or just a bog standard car is being penalised due to the over zealous speed enforcement that occurs in this country.

We all enjoy driving and we are being taxed to pieces do to petrol tax, road tax and now the speeding tax. So I propose we protest about it. Cause a bit of a commotion. Get noticed. Prove a point. Kick Off!

Basically the argument is that the speed camera is now not being used as a safety, life saving device – but a revenue device for the government – instead of being used in areas where these installations (weather fixed of mobile) would reduce accidents – they are being more commonly used in areas where it’s dead easy to catch someone slightly straying over an unrealistically low speed limit . It’s not ok any more – driving used to be a pleasurable experience – now it’s ruined due to having to spend each and every moment checking you speedometer.

I’m proposing that on the 1st August we do something.

Namely a mass protest by narked motorists who are prepared to get on the road to make a stand AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Starting at Carlisle in the early hours as many of us as possible will drive down through the country – on mass – without breaking a single speed limit – or any law. But our route (which will be decided nearer the time – for obvious reasons) will cause a great deal of congestion and disruption – but hopefully we will be backed by the majority of the motoring public, who too feel aggrieved by how the roads are now policed.

I know there are many arguments about road safety and correct driving – I’m not proposing we should protest about any reasonable law – but a law that is broken by so many, so often, is surly a law that should be changed.

If you know of other people in other car clubs, or know of other car club forums where it would be a good idea to post a link to our revolution get on there and do it.

Let me know where else this is being posted so I can get stuck in and get this co-ordinated.

NOW IS TIME FOR A CHANGE!

VIVE LA REVOLUTION!!!!

email me john@themusiccellar.fsnet.co.uk

and I'll count you in and put you on a list so that you get all the developments!

Thanks folks,

Euphonium_John
Old 25 February 2005, 10:23 AM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Stick to the speed limit seems to be the answer. Speed limits are MAXIMUMS not a target.

I agree that cameras make too much money which is not put back into road safety but

QUOTE: "a law that is broken by so many, so often, is surly a law that should be changed"

is not at all true and is an erronous suggestion.
Old 25 February 2005, 10:43 AM
Livewire
Scooby Regular

At least you got a better response than on the MLR website
Old 25 February 2005, 10:57 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrxmania
Stick to the speed limit seems to be the answer. Speed limits are MAXIMUMS not a target.

I agree that cameras make too much money which is not put back into road safety but

QUOTE: "a law that is broken by so many, so often, is surly a law that should be changed"

is not at all true and is an erronous suggestion.
i agree with urban area cameras but nicking people on the " open " road with their mobile guns pisses me off !!
Old 25 February 2005, 11:46 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I agree with your argument, and would be willing to join in any protest as long as it is organised properly. If not, you will be lucky to get 1 mile out of Carlisle. There are laws regarding organised convoys on the public highways, as well as many laws governing organised protests. The French seem to be very good at ignoring these (and many other laws when it suits them) but the British tend to wimp out long before any protest ever actually happens due to the intimidatory tactics of our Government and police force. I'd suggest seeing if you can involve as many of the established motoring organisations as possible, in particular the ABD, and get some good advise from people whom have prior knowlege of protesting and the laws which may be used to inhibit or stop your action. Get all this sorted and organise it with your own website to show the seriousness of your intentions and you might just start a ball rolling.

Good luck, and keep us posted as to your progress.
Old 25 February 2005, 11:56 AM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

If you dont get publicity no one will know why you are making a protest, thus, a waste of protest.

Get the local TV to pick it up and get media support.

You'd be better off standing outside 10 Downing Street with big boards with savy messages on.
Old 25 February 2005, 12:21 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

you're going to need over 250,000 motorists to join you mate in order to create any sort of worth while protest that the government will do something about.

A hundred or so cars blocking up a commuter route will just p!55 people off and create bad publicity. You're better off getting a mass convoy to park outside downing street and block the road in either direction - but that is illegal and will get you put under her majesty's pleasure for an evening.

Basically it's a good idea but will not change anything - speed cameras are here to stay and we might as well get used to it.

Good luck with the protest in any case

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2005, 01:53 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Alternative approach....

...do the vans too
Old 25 February 2005, 01:57 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

do you really think this would work?

remember when we protested against fuel costs and that had national support whereas this woudln't.

Did it have any effect?

no!

if you want your say, have it in the polling booth.
Old 25 February 2005, 02:08 PM
budgie55
Scooby Regular

hence why I dont bother voting hehe ... not wanting to take this thread off target but I dont really want to vote for anyone as they are all the same really... power hungry meglomaniacs... kind of like most sc00b owners I guess
Old 25 February 2005, 02:12 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm suprised that none of the political parties haven't come up with a committment to reduce the number of speed camera's, surely this would be a great vote winner.

It just shows how out of touch with the general public politicians are, they all have their heads stuck up their big fat *****!

No vote for any of them from me this year.
Old 25 February 2005, 02:18 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ140

No vote for any of them from me this year.
aint a no vote just another vote for labour ?
Old 25 February 2005, 02:33 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ140
I'm suprised that none of the political parties haven't come up with a committment to reduce the number of speed camera's, surely this would be a great vote winner.
It's easy to ignore motorists, as we are (by and large) not a vocal group, so we can be ignored fairly safely by the poiliticians.

Our voice gets drowned out by that of the minority groups like the envirolefties, humanrights, and the "don't overpenalise the criminals" brigade.

I agree though, pledging to give motorists a fair deal should be a great vote winner... 20-whatever million people (drivers in the UK) shouldn't be overlooked.

John.
Old 25 February 2005, 02:33 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Alternative approach....

...do the vans too
This gets my vote
Old 25 February 2005, 02:49 PM
MannyA
Scooby Newbie

More speed cameras mean less traffic police sitting in layby's which is a good thing as the cameras generate revenue for them they dont have to go out looking for speeding subarus', they can deal with the importants stuff such as catching car thieves instead of doing the old "think your stirling moss" bit.

Considering the fact that speed cameras are yellow, are marked with camera road signs, and have lots of white dots painted on the road in front of them you would have to be blind / asleep to miss one any way.

Buy a radar detector!!
Old 25 February 2005, 03:11 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Manny has a point.

Its the mobile traps that I worry about.
Old 25 February 2005, 03:13 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

The reason no one suggest less camera s to win votes is because the general public dont really care. If asked "would you like less cameras" some will say yes....but its like saying "would you like £5" very few will say no!

But come time for REAL issues and most peole dont really consider cameras important...even on a forum like this where most ppl drive fast cars there arent that many people with points on their licence and the majority who have just have 3 so its not a huge deal for them.

Consider the general population and you dont have enough support for your idea.......you may as well have a campaign to get everyone to fit spoilers and 18" alloys to their cars.......yo may care, the car forum people may care....but the world dosnt.
Old 25 February 2005, 03:16 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

there aren't that many with points on their licence ???? who keeps getting caught then ?? if the cameras are making the money that is stated then there must be an awful lot of people with points
Old 25 February 2005, 03:42 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

do a thread then...been done before and a lot less with points than you would think.
Old 25 February 2005, 03:56 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

poll coming up - I would think Tiggs is probably correct that most people would have 3 or less
Old 25 February 2005, 04:11 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Link to poll

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=406387
Old 25 February 2005, 04:48 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
there aren't that many with points on their licence ???? who keeps getting caught then ?? if the cameras are making the money that is stated then there must be an awful lot of people with points

he seems to have a point
Old 25 February 2005, 05:01 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by fast bloke
he seems to have a point
on his license?
Old 25 February 2005, 06:07 PM
amber nectar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MannyA
More speed cameras mean less traffic police sitting in layby's which is a good thing as the cameras generate revenue for them they dont have to go out looking for speeding subarus', they can deal with the importants stuff such as catching car thieves instead of doing the old "think your stirling moss" bit.

Considering the fact that speed cameras are yellow, are marked with camera road signs, and have lots of white dots painted on the road in front of them you would have to be blind / asleep to miss one any way.

Buy a radar detector!!
Dont make me laugh to hard.Had car stolen about a month ago rang police did they deal with it no.Not even when we found the car told them who had it where to find it and they were driving under the influence with no license.
You may have guessed i have no faith in the police no morebut in still happy.
Old 25 February 2005, 06:23 PM
scooterboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thats what i like to see, but no use for my road angel
Originally Posted by scoobchrissy
This gets my vote
Old 26 February 2005, 09:09 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Just got zapped whilst overtaking on an A road - looks like war to me!
Old 26 February 2005, 09:39 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

The only successful Demo to change a Government policy that is in place was the Poll Tax Riots. Look at the protests against banning Fox hunting 500,000 people and they just ignored them and the protests against going to war in Iraq.

The Police are just glorified Tax collectors now days only interested in an offence that makes them a quick profit for little effort. wont be long before it all goes the same way as parking tickets.

Time for a Change of leadership i think and when you see any party out campaigning make the effort to go and explain that this totaly OTT policy on speeding which only causes 7.3% of road deaths upsets you so they will know that it is a policy that can win or lose votes.