Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hurt Bird

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2005, 03:48 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurt Bird

When I was out walking the dog, I noticed an injured bird on the ground. I walked up over to it and saw that it was a crow, who had been caught by a cat probably. I wrapped it up in my coat and have brought it home and have noticed that it's feet are hurt. Anybody suggest how best to treat my crow's feet?
Poor little thing

Old 23 February 2005, 03:50 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

What about a nice long ginger fringe to cover it up, or oil of olay works on my lines.

HTH

Old 23 February 2005, 03:52 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

More uncontrolled predation of our indigenous wildlife!

Old 23 February 2005, 03:54 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Anybody suggest how best to treat my crow's feet?
Anti wrinkle cream?

Old 23 February 2005, 03:55 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I thought you were'nt supposed to pick up hurt birds. It'll probably die no matter what you do. Try some TCP on it's feet, keep it warm and feed it some bread. Hopefully it'll pull round..
Old 23 February 2005, 04:00 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
I thought you were'nt supposed to pick up hurt birds. It'll probably die no matter what you do. Try some TCP on it's feet, keep it warm and feed it some bread. Hopefully it'll pull round..
I think TCP might be a little harsh for her bird, saline or very dilute hydrogen peroxide would be a better bet!
Old 23 February 2005, 04:05 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Take it to you local animal / wildlife shelter and let the professionals deal with. Either that or assist it to take its final flight, but that's rather less pleasant.
Old 23 February 2005, 04:08 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Would E45 cream help it?
Old 23 February 2005, 04:15 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop
Would E45 cream help it?
Well it'll stop it getting wrinkles, but that's about it. Please take it to somebody that can care for it / euthanase it properly.
Old 23 February 2005, 04:18 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I don't want it to die though, it might not survive the journey.
Old 23 February 2005, 04:22 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I don't want it to die though, it might not survive the journey.
No offence RK, but I think the poor little blighter is fooked anyway if you are proposing the use of cosmetics to help it. If you are not a vet then don't mess, keep it warm and get it to one, quickly but gently. If it dies, at least you can hold your head up that you did all that you realistically could.
Old 23 February 2005, 04:28 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
No offence RK, but I think the poor little blighter is fooked anyway if you are proposing the use of cosmetics to help it. If you are not a vet then don't mess, keep it warm and get it to one, quickly but gently. If it dies, at least you can hold your head up that you did all that you realistically could.
Sorry OllyK but is E45 a cosmetic cream?
Old 23 February 2005, 04:38 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Sorry OllyK but is E45 a cosmetic cream?
Maybe I have the wrong stuff, I'm not in to cosmetics, but I thought E45 was a hand / face cream?

Originally Posted by http://www.e45.com/main.asp?pid=3&menuid=2
What is it for?
A non-greasy cream which gives intensive, long-lasting moisturisation to dry, rough and chapped hands. E45 Moisturising Hand Cream is perfume free, hypo-allergenic and dermatologically tested.
Don't think it is going to help, you need an antiseptic, probably some kind of shock treatment for it and probably a course of antibiotics to fight any infection. Unless you have that to hand, take it to a vet or put it outside and leave it to fend for itself, it may die either way, but administering medication to when you don't know much about it (apparently) is unlikely to help it. But that's my opinion.
Old 23 February 2005, 04:45 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Just wondering if Lynne's crows feet are actually infected? If they are not then it's probably best to just keep the bird warm and not try to move it(the shock may kill it right away??) . Just thinking, will a vet charge money for dealing with injured birds?

As a kid I kept a black bird that had been got by a cat, and with a lot of loving care and just leaving nature to do it's stuff it got better.
Old 23 February 2005, 04:50 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

the bird is in pain so bash it one to put it out of its misery . That what I'll do
Old 23 February 2005, 04:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let nature take its course - pop it in a dark enclosed box tonight in a warm, quiet, corner - tomorrow it may be a new bird!!

Savlon cannot harm

Pete

In the meantime, get it to tell you which cat had it and hunt the **** down!!
Old 23 February 2005, 04:56 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
Just wondering if Lynne's crows feet are actually infected?
Isn't this part of the point? We don't know and neither does RK, only somebody on the ground with suitable experience would know.

If they are not then it's probably best to just keep the bird warm and not try to move it(the shock may kill it right away??) . Just thinking, will a vet charge money for dealing with injured birds?
I meant a vet at a wildlife sanctuary where they may be interested, I suspect a general pet vet is likely to be less than interested.

As a kid I kept a black bird that had been got by a cat, and with a lot of loving care and just leaving nature to do it's stuff it got better.
That's a heartening story, but how is RK going to feel if her crow dies on her, and possibly due to her actions / inactions? Has she got the time to feed it regularly, on what, how often? What about water, can it feed / drink for itself? Does it need help feeding, does she know how to do this?

OK it "only" a bird, but you wouldn't be too happy if you had an accident and some passer by decided to start prodding you and trying to treat you rather than calling for an ambulance.

Sorry RK if I seem to be getting on my high horse, I am not meaning to be harsh, I'd just prefer to see the bird get proffesional rather than amateur (though well meaning) assitance as soon as possible.
Old 23 February 2005, 05:05 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I think the poor thing has snuffed it
I put some diluted Dettol on it's feet, it twitched and died

Last edited by Redkop; 23 February 2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 23 February 2005, 05:12 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Shame, you should've waited and not tried to fix it yourself. Probably a mercy though in a way
Old 23 February 2005, 05:13 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

crow=vermin.

head between 2 house bricks is probably the most humane, tip: try to stand within 10 yards when throwng the brick.

HTH

Old 23 February 2005, 05:15 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Where is corvid these days?
Old 23 February 2005, 05:15 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I feel really bad it died, so please no monty python jokes
Old 23 February 2005, 05:16 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

I think the poor thing has snuffed it
I put some diluted Dettol on it's feet, it twitched and died

Are you going to give it a dignified burial or throw it in the bin? Just curious . . .
Old 23 February 2005, 05:18 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

In all seriousness, it is fortunate it wasn't an endangered species, although it does serve as a unfortunate reminder to irresponsible cat owners that their pets do kill wildlife, despite "oh mummy's little Whiskers wouldn't hurt a fly" protestations to the contrary!
Old 23 February 2005, 05:18 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

When I was out walking the dog, I noticed an injured bird on the ground. I walked up over to it and saw that it was a crow, who had been caught by a cat probably. I wrapped it up in my coat and have brought it home and have noticed that it's feet are hurt. Anybody suggest how best to treat my crow's feet?
Poor little thing

u can cover it up if u want and put in on a warm place

if it aint that injured if it is lynne u will need to kill it luv, its merciful.

a few months back a few pharmacy girls across from my shop saw a pigeon lying on the road, must have been hit with a car and it was really struggling and dying in pain, they asked me to kill it, poor lil pigeon, i had to crush its skull to kill it, it was merciful , felt sad for it

a few kids saw it it was early in the morn, their mothers werent happy, so i told them, u rather see it die in a painful way, or a quick death
Old 23 February 2005, 05:22 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
i had to crush its skull to kill it, it was merciful , felt sad for it
Moses, from that thread the other week I thought your idea of "merciful" was usually along the lines of slowly cutting its head off with a rusty butter knife?
Old 23 February 2005, 05:23 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
u can cover it up if u want and put in on a warm place

if it aint that injured if it is lynne u will need to kill it luv, its merciful.

a few months back a few pharmacy girls across from my shop saw a pigeon lying on the road, must have been hit with a car and it was really struggling and dying in pain, they asked me to kill it, poor lil pigeon, i had to crush its skull to kill it, it was merciful , felt sad for it

a few kids saw it it was early in the morn, their mothers werent happy, so i told them, u rather see it die in a painful way, or a quick death
I hear NL are planning a similar policy in hospitals. They will have an armed guard at the door who'll shoot any injured or sick people that try to get in to the hospital, apparently it's more humane and it does wonders for the waiting time figures
Old 23 February 2005, 05:26 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I hear NL are planning a similar policy in hospitals. They will have an armed guard at the door who'll shoot any injured or sick people that try to get in to the hospital, apparently it's more humane and it does wonders for the waiting time figures
<Paging Unclebuck>

Given that this is NSR, I'm amazed it's taken as many as 27 posts to get from "injured bird" to "and it's all Tony Blair's fault"
Old 23 February 2005, 05:26 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol...who suggested a vet?????

a crow is vermin.....what next? take some old rat down to the vet with a cough???
Old 23 February 2005, 05:28 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
In all seriousness, it is fortunate it wasn't an endangered species, although it does serve as a unfortunate reminder to irresponsible cat owners that their pets do kill wildlife, despite "oh mummy's little Whiskers wouldn't hurt a fly" protestations to the contrary!
We don't know it was a cat though, or do we? It could have been a hard pheasant or a weasel or a stoat or a cunning badger.

Quick Reply: Hurt Bird