Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody ever hit black ice??

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2005, 10:24 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody ever hit black ice??

Anyone?? I had a near do a couple of weeks ago on a particulalry cold night at about 4am. Scary stuff !!
Old 11 February 2005, 10:26 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Should be in NSR - sorry, mods can you move this please?
Old 11 February 2005, 10:27 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Oh yes - a particulary enjoyable 720 spin just infront of a bus. No damage, no one hurt trousers ruined .
Old 11 February 2005, 10:43 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never luckily but I've hit diesel which was a little worrying for a few seconds.
Old 11 February 2005, 10:47 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Yep, hit some black ice, flew off the road at 70mph in a Metro heading straight for some trees. Didn't think I was going to make it, but in the 25 yard wide verge I found enough grip to get the car back on the road, leaving me a more than a little bit ashen faced, a real life flashing before my eyes moment.........
Old 11 February 2005, 10:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I once spent over 5,000 feet trying to stop a Vulcan on black ice at Goose Bay in Canada. It stopped with 30 yards to go before the barrier at the end of the runway!

It would have helped if ATC had warned me about the ice before landing.

Les
Old 11 February 2005, 10:51 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Leslie
I once spent over 5,000 feet trying to stop a Vulcan on black ice at Goose Bay in Canada. It stopped with 30 yards to go before the barrier at the end of the runway!

It would have helped if ATC had warned me about the ice before landing.

Les
Respect !!!!
Old 11 February 2005, 10:53 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this a couple of years ago courtesy of black ice

Old 11 February 2005, 11:12 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm evil stuff...you never see it coming....but you sure as hell know when you've made contact !
Old 11 February 2005, 12:32 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
I did this a couple of years ago courtesy of black ice

Bit of panel bashing and polish it will be fine.

Black ice is evil.
Old 11 February 2005, 12:36 PM
Geek Boy
Scooby Regular

what exactly is this mystery crashing stuff?

if its wet and freezing the roads will be slippery.......or have I missed something?

...or is it just a general excuse people use when crashing

gb
Old 11 February 2005, 12:37 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I hit some once when I was doing a paper-round. Bike went right out from underneath me!
Old 11 February 2005, 01:24 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Geek Boy
what exactly is this mystery crashing stuff?

if its wet and freezing the roads will be slippery.......or have I missed something?

...or is it just a general excuse people use when crashing

gb
It is a generic off the shelf excuse that Brit scooby drivers use when they crash their cars! driver error or driving like a **** never plays apart in it! it is always some strange phenomenen beyond their control

The funny thing is that they never learn from it either, you should look back to this time last year and there were the same posts and I guarantee the same posts the same time next year aswell.

Brit scooby drivers can not grasp the concept that a car + snow/ice do not mix to well they all reckon that as they have a scooby with 4 wheel drive they are invincible, also nobody in the UK seem to have heard of winter tyres either it is most perplexing really.
Old 11 February 2005, 01:30 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wurzel...

Winter tyres would be a complete waste of time in Britain as the snow will last for one day max, before the roads are clear, and unless you stay in the far North of Scotland, then your snow coverage these days probably amounts to no more than a couple of days a year maximum.

IMHO
Old 11 February 2005, 01:33 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by SiPie
Wurzel...

Winter tyres would be a complete waste of time in Britain as the snow will last for one day max, before the roads are clear, and unless you stay in the far North of Scotland, then your snow coverage these days probably amounts to no more than a couple of days a year maximum.

IMHO
This just goes to show that you do not understand what winter tyres are!!

You do not need snow to benefit from winter tyres. can I suggest you do a little bit of research on how winter tyres work, and I am not talking about SNOW tyres.
Old 11 February 2005, 01:39 PM
Geek Boy
Scooby Regular

...yeah, all well and good but what is black ice?

BTW winter tyres are tyres with bigger gaps between tread block to help get rid of more water.
Old 11 February 2005, 01:40 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Basically winter tyres use a softer type of rubber so they're still grippy at very low temperatures. Only reason you can't use them all year round is that when the weather warms up they'd be too soft and wear out really fast. The tread pattern is fairly similar to 'normal' tyres.
Old 11 February 2005, 01:43 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Iwan
Basically winter tyres use a softer type of rubber so they're still grippy at very low temperatures. Only reason you can't use them all year round is that when the weather warms up they'd be too soft and wear out really fast. The tread pattern is fairly similar to 'normal' tyres.
Correct! they are designed to work below 7degrees C.

Your summer tyres lose grip at that temperature as they start to go hard and with the tread pattern and them going hard you lose grip very easily.

Winter tyres are now mixed with silicon which prevents them from hardening up after a few years, it is perfectly acceptable to use them for 3 or 4 seasons, and as you would only use them for maybe 4 months of the year they will last you ages.
Old 11 February 2005, 01:46 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I agree with Wurzel, people in all sorts of cars assume that because they are snug and warm it's just the same outside.

I do think it's to do with the British climate though. In a lot of the South you only now get less than 20 days a winter with frosty conditions, and almost only 2-3 days with snow on the ground.

That leads to people not knowing how to drive for the conditions, and the false assumption that it's all the same every day of the year. Winter tyres are a great idea and woud stop a lot of cars coming off the road. Anyone who has tried to drive a scoob in snow/ice will tell you, that thanks to big fat tyres they are a handful to drive. Even corsa's and micra's with thin skinny tyres will out perform a normally shod scoob on Snow.

It's a cost benefit answer though. Do you pay say 400 quid for winter tyres you may only get the benefit of, or do you leave the ones your have on. Personally I would lump for driver training so I knew how to drive correctly no matter the conditions.
Old 11 February 2005, 01:50 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

can I suggest you do a little bit of research on how winter tyres work,
I have now completed my reasearch Mr Wurzel and am now more adequately informed. Apologies for confusing snow tyres with 'winter tyres'....
Old 11 February 2005, 02:03 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

BTW winter tyres are tyres with bigger gaps between tread block to help get rid of more water.

Black ice is just that. Ice that is black and matches the road surface so you can't see it.
Old 11 February 2005, 02:06 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Since the beginning of winter this year (i.e. oct / nov last year) we've only had about 2 days when the temperature has dropped below 0 in Swindon. Winter tyres would be a complete waste of time and money down here, especially when you consider the fact that the roads are in such bad condition that they wear out normal tyres quick enough....

It's a thin layer of ice that forms on roads / pavements under certain conditions (i.e. where the road was a bit damp, and has quickly frozen). This can occur practically anywhere without warning, and is practically invisible to the eye when walking, let alone driving. It's nasty stuff. Don't really have any warning of it either.

I was driving through the Forest of Dean a couple of years ago when I hit some on a bend. Luckily I wasn't going fast, so I was able to regain control of the car, but the outside temperature gauge in the car was reading 4 degress so it wasn't exactly expected, (had just formed in a spot which was shaded by the trees)...

Note that winter tyres might help a bit, but due to the very little traction available on black ice, they're not going to make a vast amount of difference if you're going too fast...
Old 11 February 2005, 02:06 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

I agree with Neil however!

I ran my scooby on summer tyres here in Germany for 4 winters without any problems as I was a winter tyre sceptic, however it scared the **** out of me, but still refused to believe in winter tyres. I just adapted my driving style to accomodate teh conditions. This winter I conceeded and bought a set of Nokian WR winter tyres 215/40/17 and I am glad I did, they are alot better than I expected, shortly after getting them fitted we had 2 weeks of snow and I found driving around in teh snow was alot easier and more pleasurable, when the snow turned to slush and then into ice I was still driving round like it was clear, not as fast but alot quicker than in previous years, last week I was out in the snow accelerating hard and breaking to see what happens and I had no probs at all, in previous years I could not stop and the ABS was useless and had to be disabled.

I don't think driver education is needed, I think driver common sense is needed, peopel need to be responsible for their own self preservation. Personaly! NOW! I would have winter tyres and maybe go for a bit of aditional training as I want someone to show me how to drive my car properly. But I also have the common sense to change my driving style to suit the conditions.
Old 11 February 2005, 02:12 PM
Geek Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sith
Black ice is just that. Ice that is black and matches the road surface so you can't see it.
So its normal ice then?

But people say its black ice as it covers up their embarrasment?
Old 11 February 2005, 02:14 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

So its normal ice then?

But people say its black ice as it covers up their embarrasment?
No, it's not. Normal ice is visible, black ice isn't (that's whay it's called black).
Old 11 February 2005, 02:18 PM
Geek Boy
Scooby Regular

so it's ice that does not have a glass like appearance?? It must be dull looking then?

has anyone studied this ice?

Would be interested to see it molecular make up
Old 11 February 2005, 02:22 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That's correct. I suspect the molecular makeup would look the same as any other ice, (i.e. water). The appearance is decided by the way it is formed and the way it lays on the road surface. I've seen it form in such a way that you could only make it out by getting down on you hands and knees to have a closer look. Still as slippery as hell though...
Old 11 February 2005, 02:52 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Road surfaces have imperfections in them. Those imperfections are filled up by a little water. That ices up thus making the road surface smooth. So, the low areas are filed up with ice and the highest points are at the same level as the ice is at.....(bare with me). So, road looks the same but in fact, there is loads of "ice" on the road - minimal......but enough.
Old 11 February 2005, 03:13 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

LOL at the the whole "you brits and your crap adverse weather driving"

Wurzel, give it a rest mate

Winter tyres would make no difference on black ice. Nor does "assuming it will be slippy and driving accordingly"

Well, thats not totally true - slowing down just means you hit the tree/wall/bank/car a bit slower.

Years ago, at 25 mph (driving carefully because it was cold) I stuffed my mothers car into a grass bank on a gentle uphill curve. Unfortunately there was a broken fence post hidden in the bank

Anyway, when I reversed out, the car then started to slide sideways down the hill. Actually, very slight rise would be more appropriate.

Got it stopped, got out the car and promptly fell flat on my ****, unable to stand. there was a sheet of black ice on the road.

Unfortunately my efforts to slow other cars down that were coming the other way were unsuccessful and there were a succession of crashes with each new car that came along.

Luckily, I had parked round the corner at this point.

There was nothing, and I repeat, nothing, that anyone could do to stop it. Its quite a surreal experience sliding sideways, unable to do anything, at probably less than 1 mph.

Certainly not winter tyres, or any amount of ability.
Old 11 February 2005, 03:28 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Diablo

Years ago, at 25 mph (driving carefully because it was cold) I stuffed my mothers car into a grass bank on a gentle uphill curve. Unfortunately there was a broken fence post hidden in the bank

Anyway, when I reversed out, the car then started to slide sideways down the hill. Actually, very slight rise would be more appropriate.

Got it stopped, got out the car and promptly fell flat on my ****, unable to stand. there was a sheet of black ice on the road.

Unfortunately my efforts to slow other cars down that were coming the other way were unsuccessful and there were a succession of crashes with each new car that came along.

Luckily, I had parked round the corner at this point.

There was nothing, and I repeat, nothing, that anyone could do to stop it. Its quite a surreal experience sliding sideways, unable to do anything, at probably less than 1 mph.

Certainly not winter tyres, or any amount of ability.
I experienced similar some 20 years ago in Shetland. I found my car (a BMW323i with a full set of studded winter tyres) sliding down a hill with all the brakes on, from a dead stop. Unfortunately the car in front (an Avenger) had come to a halt at the bottom of the hill - broadside. Crunch

My only (so far) accident in 30 years of driving.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever hit black ice??