Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Around the world in 71 days

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2005, 11:45 PM
The 13th Duke of Wybourne
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Around the world in 71 days

I think this is an incredible achievement, 27000 miles single handed around the world in 71 days - she's just crossed the finishing line tonight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/4229079.stm

Well done Ellen MacArthur!
Old 08 February 2005, 12:08 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Agreed
Old 08 February 2005, 07:50 AM
dlharris
Scooby Regular

I hadn't been following the story but when I saw the news last night I have to admit to being overwhelmed by the thought of what Ellen has been though over the last couple of months. Amazing feat of human strength. Definitely up there with climbing Everest or walking to the North Pole unaided. It's great to see that the record has been broken but to me, anyone that can sail around the world on their own whether or not they break the record has certainly achieved something. What a fantastic story to tell your grand kids when you're older.
Old 08 February 2005, 07:58 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

dumb question maybe but if you look at the route she took.
Uk-Uk wouldnt it be quicker to go south africa-south africa?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ts/3979161.stm
Old 08 February 2005, 08:06 AM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Was listening to Chris Moyles today, and he summed up my thoughts exactly...........

So what. I couldn't give a monkeys.

C
Old 08 February 2005, 08:27 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

^
Agreed.

Fifteen minutes wasted (devoted) to it on the news last night.

Well done and all that, but....... so what.

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2005, 08:34 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big C
Was listening to Chris Moyles today, and he summed up my thoughts exactly...........

So what. I couldn't give a monkeys.

C
Had to laugh when he said (when prompted that it was 'to beat the record') "why not just sit in some beans?"
Old 08 February 2005, 09:01 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Fantastic achievement. But TBH the boat does a lot of the work. A strong bloke in the same boat might well have done it quicker, but wouldn't have raised the sponsorship. And if she wasn't British ... How many can name the previous record holder (only set last year) or who his sponsors were?
Old 08 February 2005, 09:06 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

'why not sit in some beans'

perhaps because she is not a fat lifeless no-mark blimp with no talent?
Old 08 February 2005, 09:07 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to school with ellen and lewis (her brother) there both completely barmy, I was talking to her just before she went of this time, and she was saying that she would just keep on doing it until she beat the record!!! nuts...

not exactly my idea of fun, but shes well into it, and she gets paid VERY well for doing it!

and as for the negative comments, shes got bigger ***** than you!

jamo
Old 08 February 2005, 09:08 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Fantastic achievement. But TBH the boat does a lot of the work.
Well it stops her from falling in the water. Mind you anybody can win the F1 championship, its the car that does a lot of the work you know
Old 08 February 2005, 09:22 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

we'll never hear the last of this. :yawn:
Old 08 February 2005, 09:25 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

OK. Not very well put. F1 is a good analogy. Cars that are 6th on the grid this year would have had pole last year. Similarly technical advances in the boat mean that the record will get beaten because of technology rather than greater human endeavour. If the record was beaten in the same boat then I would retract my statement.
Old 08 February 2005, 09:29 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

OK. Not very well put. F1 is a good analogy. Cars that are 6th on the grid this year would have had pole last year. Similarly technical advances in the boat mean that the record will get beaten because of technology rather than greater human endeavour. If the record was beaten in the same boat then I would retract my statement.

It still takes ***** and skill to rattle round a 2 mile circuit at speeds up to 200 mph for a couple of hours. It also takes skill and ***** to travel around the world single handed. A different pace for sure, but still a great achievement, just becuase sailing doesn't have the same glamour associated with it as F1 or Football doesn't make it less of an achievement.

I've done my fair share of sailing and I wouldn't fancy handling a boat like that on my own round the Isle of Wight never mind round the world.
Old 08 February 2005, 09:31 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stop being so bloody miserable, you lot!

A British woman has just broken a world record that is an amazing feat of human endeavour. To go with minimal sleep for such a period through some of the most extreme environments on Earth is to be applauded.

For me it's a lot more impressive than the bafoons who trudge around the rugby park in our country's name or the pretend athletes in cricket whites.

Good for her - let's celebrate success for a change instead of the usual UK habit of criticising and moaning about success stories.

Gordo
Old 08 February 2005, 09:32 AM
The 13th Duke of Wybourne
Scooby Regular

LOL @ the negative comments.

Why is it so hard for some people to acknowledge achievement?
Old 08 February 2005, 09:34 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Anyone refusing to celebrate this fantastic achievment should be tied up with piano wire and shot!!
Old 08 February 2005, 09:35 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Anyone refusing to celebrate should be tied up with piano wire and shot!!
Sadly Tony B has already passed on his congratulations
Old 08 February 2005, 09:36 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Well done Ellen, you made Britain very proud, (Chris Moyles go and stick your head up your ar$e your talantless git you)
Cheers
Colin
Old 08 February 2005, 09:46 AM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done Ellen, fantastic achievment
Old 08 February 2005, 09:56 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

Speedking

stop being silly about 'the same boat' ffs,thats laughable Did anyone ask Sir Ranulph Fiennes if he wore trhe same boots as Edmonton?

Its an endurance test as much as a test of sailing skill.Imagine being in a room as big as a coffin and the boat is in being thrown by 30ft waves,and water starts to come in.She knew she could be dead within minutes,very few people could endure that,veryt few sailors would attempt it imo
Old 08 February 2005, 10:01 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

An amazing achievement. What she has done takes an amazing amount of guts and determination and at no little risk to her life. What's the point? It's her personal goal - some people want to climb Everest - what's the point in that?

She deserves a huge amount of credit.
Old 08 February 2005, 10:45 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Ok, it was an amazing thing to do. I certainly couldn't have done it, nor would I even claim to have the ***** to attempt it, but what good is it? Is it something worthwhile? Most of us have a job and on some level our job improves the existence of others, whether that's directly or indirectly. I can't see past this being a frivolous way to spend money. Who would have foot the bill if it had all gone t!ts-up and she'd been lost at sea? Someone would have had to pay for the helicopters, planes, coastguards, etc. Is this sort of thing factored into the budget?

Ok, so a couple of boats might get sold, assuming anyone knows the manufacturer. Whoever's name was plastered on the sail (I've no idea) might claim increased sales (not sails) from the sponsorship deal. To be honest I doubt either of those is true so really the only person to get recognition is Ellen McWotsit and we already knew she was someone who did nothing useful for a lot of money.

Fair play to her for making the cash and doing the round the world thing but when it helps someone else, then she'll be a hero.

All IMHO
Old 08 February 2005, 10:55 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Fantastic achievement. But TBH the boat does a lot of the work. A strong bloke in the same boat might well have done it quicker, but wouldn't have raised the sponsorship. And if she wasn't British ... How many can name the previous record holder (only set last year) or who his sponsors were?
Absolute bollocks. It is a fantastic achievement and should be acknowledged as such without the incessant back biting that goes with it - typical poms! For sure the boat is important but to suggest that it does most of the work is facetious at best, ignorant at worst. As someone who did the ARC a few years ago (which pales into comparison to what this woman has done) I can tell you that the sheer mental pressure that she's worked under, without any team on the boat to help is immense. Climbing a mast in a marina is not that much fun, let alone doing it in the South Atlantic plus the myriad of other technical problems that had to be fixed whilst in transit. Making yourself get up for another round of sail changes when you'd far rather just get your head down is a result of mental toughness and training - just because a bloke is physically stronger doesn't mean he'll do the job any better.

I suggest you retract your statement anyway, given that you place so much credibility in the technical aspects of the boat. Presumably, you're aware that her trimaran is a lot shorter than Joyon's and consequently has a slower boat speed or does that not fit with your point of view?

The fact that she's a woman has a lot to do with the exposure she's been getting but this started in France nearly six years ago because the French admired her bravery, guts and commitment long before the Brits got involved. Her "a donf" attitude struck a chord in the long distance sailing world and when she came second in the Vendee, her success eclipsed that of Desjoyeaux - the winner. Needless to say, once she became famous the Brits reclaimed her as one of their own and jumped on the bandwagon although given some of the stupid comments on here, you can tell why she does the bulk of her commercial commitments in France and in the French languauge.

As for Chris Moyles, he's a fat talentless ****** who really shouldn't be commenting on someone elses achievement which has taken a lot of commitment and bravery - something that loser wouldn't understand.
Old 08 February 2005, 11:02 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

QUOTE=Jap2Scrap]Ok, it was an amazing thing to do. I certainly couldn't have done it, nor would I even claim to have the ***** to attempt it, but what good is it? Is it something worthwhile? Most of us have a job and on some level our job improves the existence of others, whether that's directly or indirectly. I can't see past this being a frivolous way to spend money. Who would have foot the bill if it had all gone t!ts-up and she'd been lost at sea? Someone would have had to pay for the helicopters, planes, coastguards, etc. Is this sort of thing factored into the budget?
All IMHO [/QUOTE]
It's sponsorship, nothing else. If you want to take the view that all forms of sponsorship are frivolous then so be it - just remember that most of the sports you enjoy watching will be flushed down the pan without it. No more F1, Football, Rugby, Rallying etc etc.

The first law of the sea is that you must render assistance to any vessel that requires it, irrespective of it's use. Does the RNLI withdraw it's lifeboat service to all pleasure craft users? Can we not sail, windsurf or kitesurf because someone has to foot the bill if we run into trouble.

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Fair play to her for making the cash and doing the round the world thing but when it helps someone else, then she'll be a hero.

All IMHO
Try looking into the charitable work she does, and tell me that doesn't help the children involved.
Old 08 February 2005, 11:08 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Ok, it was an amazing thing to do. I certainly couldn't have done it, nor would I even claim to have the ***** to attempt it, but what good is it? Is it something worthwhile? Most of us have a job and on some level our job improves the existence of others, whether that's directly or indirectly. I can't see past this being a frivolous way to spend money. Who would have foot the bill if it had all gone t!ts-up and she'd been lost at sea? Someone would have had to pay for the helicopters, planes, coastguards, etc. Is this sort of thing factored into the budget?

Ok, so a couple of boats might get sold, assuming anyone knows the manufacturer. Whoever's name was plastered on the sail (I've no idea) might claim increased sales (not sails) from the sponsorship deal. To be honest I doubt either of those is true so really the only person to get recognition is Ellen McWotsit and we already knew she was someone who did nothing useful for a lot of money.

All IMHO
do you 'spose F1 racing sells many meganes.....
Old 08 February 2005, 11:18 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I think it's a remarkable achievement, no doubt about it. But since so few people have ever attempted it, nor will they do, i'm not sure that we have enough examples to compare it against to judge whether it's a truly great time or not. Just seems like one of those oddball events which certain people are attracted to. Dunno.
Old 08 February 2005, 11:22 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
I think it's a remarkable achievement, no doubt about it. But since so few people have ever attempted it, nor will they do, i'm not sure that we have enough examples to compare it against to judge whether it's a truly great time or not. Just seems like one of those oddball events which certain people are attracted to. Dunno.
Telboy, there are plenty of benchmark records for you to judge her achievements against.

http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/

Sailing attracts around 3 million participants in the UK, so it's not a mainstream sport which is why it doesn't get the attention it deserves.
Old 08 February 2005, 11:33 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

How many people attempt to sail around the world single-handed though?

Quick Reply: Around the world in 71 days