Speeding and possible ban question

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2005, 10:28 AM
Mrsoandso
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding and possible ban question

Right

I know I did wrong, and I will take whatever punishment I am given but here goes

I got caught speeding a few days ago, by an unmarked car on a dual carriageway that was a 70mph speed limit

However the speed limit dropped to 50mph, and instead of braking I lifted off

I was doing approx 95 in the 70, and i was clocked in the 50 zone at 92mph over 4/10's of a mile, by the time the blues came on, I had done half a mile in the 50 zone, and was still slowing down

Now I have been summonsed, and almost certainly will recieve a ban of sorts

What I want to know, is that the guidelines are 3-6 points and between 14 and 56 days ban

Can these guidelines be overturned in favour of a harsher punishment, ie longer ban due to the speed being almost double the limit?

or do i expect the 56 day ban and large fine

Like I say, i know I was in the wrong, and dont expect any sympathy at all, as it was my own fault, and a lapse of concentration

Thanks
Old 02 February 2005, 10:32 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

oooh put your flame suit on, cos when this place gets warmed up.. some people will be shooting fire at you!
Old 02 February 2005, 10:42 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

If you can prove exceptional circumstances which mean you need to keep your licence, then the magistrates MAY consider letting you keep your licence in favour of a hefty fine.

Exceptional circumstances may include a letter from your boss stating that you will lose your job if you cannot drive. If other people are dependant upon your licence for their livelihood / wellbeing etc.
Old 02 February 2005, 11:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

See if you can get the copper to agree that you were at least slowing down when you entered the 50 MPH limit zone so that you showed willing to reduce your speed but due to a lapse in concentration you did not slow down quickly enough.

Les
Old 02 February 2005, 12:07 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Guidelines are guidelines, the magistrate can do as he pleases with in reason. If you are unhappy with the decision you can appeal and take the case to a higher court, but this will cost you money and time, and probably not get the sentance reduced substatntially, if at all.

Your best bet is to make a case for the conditions at the time (ie hopefully dry and bright with little or no traffic around).

good luck

Dave