Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Iraqis Vote This Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2005, 07:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Iraqis Vote This Weekend

On Sunday we shall witness a country going to the polls.

Nothing new in that you may think, but for one moment consider what they must do to excersise their newly won right.

They must risk being killed, tortured and beheaded if they go to the polling stations ............

I hope those that can't be bothered to vote here "because theres a TV programme they want to watch, or, I'm too into this PS game at the moment" - you should be ashamed of yourself!!

Watch the Iraqis and learn a lesson in freedom, a lesson in the high price of democracy a lesson that you should vote .... even if its a 'bit cold outside'!

Pete
Old 26 January 2005, 07:50 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be a bloodbath.

I read that the US forces will be providing 'over the horizon security' which presumably means they will be well out of the blast radius of the inevitable polling-station explosives.
Old 26 January 2005, 08:46 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

evening troublemaker pslewis what freedom

this aint democracy, its open your markets iraqis to halliburton and co and bush and friends

and lets plant a stooge, i guarantee ayad allawi will win
Old 27 January 2005, 12:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I certainly agree that we should all use our votes and that there is no excuse in this country for apathy.

In Iraq I think it will be particularly dangerous thing to do this time since those who do are in serious risk of losing their lives. I expect that the violence on voting day will be unprecedented too.

This has really turned into a dreadful mess.

Les
Old 27 January 2005, 05:46 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
On Sunday we shall witness a country going to the polls.

Nothing new in that you may think, but for one moment consider what they must do to excersise their newly won right.

They must risk being killed, tortured and beheaded if they go to the polling stations ............

I hope those that can't be bothered to vote here "because theres a TV programme they want to watch, or, I'm too into this PS game at the moment" - you should be ashamed of yourself!!

Watch the Iraqis and learn a lesson in freedom, a lesson in the high price of democracy a lesson that you should vote .... even if its a 'bit cold outside'!

Pete
When you say "you should vote" who are you aiming at. Us Brits dont have a vote do we.

Chip
Old 27 January 2005, 05:49 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by moses
evening troublemaker pslewis what freedom

this aint democracy, its open your markets iraqis to halliburton and co and bush and friends

and lets plant a stooge, i guarantee ayad allawi will win
If he doesn't win , you can be damned sure that the US will not recognize (an start to destabilize) whoever does
Old 27 January 2005, 06:36 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
When you say "you should vote" who are you aiming at. Us Brits dont have a vote do we.

Chip
Actually there has been a big campaign outside of Iraq to vote - You only have to be eligible for Iraqi citzenship. So even if you're born in Britain and have never lived in, been to or ever intend of going to Iraq, you've still got the right to vote in their election.

Trending Topics

Old 27 January 2005, 06:38 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gsm1
Actually there has been a big campaign outside of Iraq to vote. You only have to be eligible for Iraqi citzenship to vote. So even if you're born in Britain and have never lived in, been to or ever intend of going to Iraq, you've still got the right to vote in their election.
Well thats really fair isnt it.

Chip
Old 28 January 2005, 01:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The government want as large a vote as possible of course, to try to make it look valid.

Les
Old 28 January 2005, 01:23 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Whoever wins Im sure it'll be a hell of a lot better than it was under Saddam. The country has huge oil reserves, so all I can say is good luck to any enterprising Iraqis who setup businesses - they could be very rich in 10years time potentially.
Old 28 January 2005, 01:29 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

I honestly don't see the point in Iraq voting in a leader because what ever happens there's going to be a civil war.
Old 28 January 2005, 01:36 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

There're 30,000 British Iraqis registered to vote in this country apparently, which is less than "they" expected.

Also on the radio were a few of the opinions. All were of the view that this is the best thing since slice bread, but a fair few begrudged the fact that they had to turn out twice - once to register and once to vote.

Apparently they have a choice between 111 different parties.
Old 28 January 2005, 01:38 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Petem95
Whoever wins Im sure it'll be a hell of a lot better than it was under Saddam.
This would be the same Saddam that was provided with weapons and economic aid by the US, until the Bush administration decided it would be better if he was removed so that ...

The country has huge oil reserves, so all I can say is good luck to any enterprising Iraqis who setup businesses - they could be very rich in 10years time potentially.
... American firms could reap the rewards from the oil industry.
Old 28 January 2005, 02:00 PM
Vette_76
Scooby Regular

Location: On Mars...in a cave....with my eyes shut....and my fingers in my ears!!

Originally Posted by moses
...........i guarantee ayad allawi will win
Quick let's all put £10,000 on it - it's a dead cert, easy money!!

Old 28 January 2005, 02:13 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
If he doesn't win , you can be damned sure that the US will not recognize (an start to destabilize) whoever does
These elections are only to bring in a temporary government that is supposed to be representative of all Iraqi's so that they can draw up a constitution under which full and proper elections can be held later this year, November I think. So it's all very well the Sunni's boycotting it, it just means they get less of a say as to what goes in the constitution. This is not about who will be long term pm / president / dictator
Old 28 January 2005, 02:14 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It doesn't matter who gets elected and voted in they will only get shot dead next week and they will have to do it all over again, it is a lawless country and will stay that way as no group is willing to bend, the Iraqis don't want peace and democracy.
Old 28 January 2005, 02:16 PM
khany
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
It doesn't matter who gets elected and voted in they will only get shot dead next week and they will have to do it all over again, it is a lawless country and will stay that way as no group is willing to bend, the Iraqis don't want peace and democracy.
What do they want then Wurzel?
Old 28 January 2005, 02:35 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by khany
What do they want then Wurzel?
well don't you think that if they really wanted to end all the killing and violence and live in a diplomatic peacfull society they would make a bigger effort?

Threatening to kill, blowup, shoot etc people for going to vote does not strike me as the sort of thing a society wanting democracy would do.

Go on say it is only a handfull of extremists! but it isn't is it, almost everyone carries a gun, every village is a differnet religion or follows a different leader and they all want to be boss, nobody is prepared to give anyone a chance, hence there will never be peace.
Old 28 January 2005, 02:45 PM
khany
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
well don't you think that if they really wanted to end all the killing and violence and live in a diplomatic peacfull society they would make a bigger effort?

Threatening to kill, blowup, shoot etc people for going to vote does not strike me as the sort of thing a society wanting democracy would do.

Go on say it is only a handfull of extremists! but it isn't is it, almost everyone carries a gun, every village is a differnet religion or follows a different leader and they all want to be boss, nobody is prepared to give anyone a chance, hence there will never be peace.
Judging by what you have said....it was better when Saddam was in power as there was 'relative' peace.
Old 28 January 2005, 03:00 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by khany
Judging by what you have said....it was better when Saddam was in power as there was 'relative' peace.
As hard as it is to believe you are probably right, only Saddam was an evil dictator that ruled by fear, but got the job done. If they could get someone like him but without the genocide tendancies then they might stand a chance.

FLAME SUIT WELL AND TRULY ZIPPED UP
Old 28 January 2005, 03:06 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Rather alarmingly I must agree with Wurzel

I do find it strange allowing all the Iraq people here to Vote unless of course they intend to return and are only here to avoid the terrible mess out there

If they are staying in this country then surely there vote should not count
Old 28 January 2005, 03:10 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I'm not sure about a flame suit Wurzel, maybe you should consider moving into a concrete bunker !

Especially with gems like this :

and this

the Iraqis don't want peace and democracy.
Really made me laugh !
Old 28 January 2005, 03:15 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by MJW
I'm not sure about a flame suit Wurzel, maybe you should consider moving into a concrete bunker !

Especially with gems like this :

and this

Really made me laugh !
We aim to please

Just order 25 tons of readymix aswell