redundancy and severance packages

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2005, 11:07 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default redundancy and severance packages

****, I've been made redundant *again* for the second time in four months.... from the same job as well!

How does this severance pay business work? I'm on three months notice period, and I haven't been served my formal notice yet (reckon that will happen i february)

Oh well, never mind. I hated the job anyway
Old 25 January 2005, 11:26 PM
Scoobybert
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.acas.org.uk/faqs/redundancy.html

have a look at the link. Hope this helps
Old 26 January 2005, 12:18 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Henrik
****, I've been made redundant *again* for the second time in four months.... from the same job as well!
How did you do that?

At a minimum, they have to give you £250.00 for every full year you have been continuously employed by them, so you are looking at notice plus 70 quid. Only the crappiest companies give you minimum payout, so talk to your HR department
Old 26 January 2005, 06:12 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

I don't think they have to give you anything until you have worked there for 2 years
Old 26 January 2005, 09:04 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
How did you do that?

At a minimum, they have to give you £250.00 for every full year you have been continuously employed by them, so you are looking at notice plus 70 quid. Only the crappiest companies give you minimum payout, so talk to your HR department
Not quite

FB - the statutory minimum has increased - its now £270 per week - going up to £280 per week with effect from 1st February 2005.

Henrik - you'll either be entitled to 3 months pay in lieu of notice under the terms of your contract (unless your employer becomes formally insolvent, in which case you'll be entitled to claim the statutory minimum - which in your case is nil, because you have been less than 1 year in the current position) or alternatively your employer may require you to work the three months in which case you'll be paid as normal.

Any accrued holiday pay will be calculated as at the expiry of your three months notice period.

You don't qualify for redundancy because you haven't had 2 years or more in the current role.

D
Old 26 January 2005, 09:11 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Henrik

Really sorry to hear this, Both Jenny and I wish you the best of luck with other opportunities.

I take it you are no longer with Carlson?

Jenny is currenly with a company called Williams Lea, they have ioffices all over the UK and the world for that matter, if you like she can have a look see whats about.

http://www.williamslea.com/WL/infopo...html/PHomePage

Last edited by The Zohan; 26 January 2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 26 January 2005, 09:48 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

ScoobyBert: Ah, good read, thanks

FastBloke: Well, I wasn't actually formally made redundant last time. Basically, I was under the threat of being outsourced by a big IT company, and there was a real risk I'd be out of a job once the big IT company's "implementation phase" was complete.
So I found another job and handed in my notice

However, as stupid as I am, I was then persuaded with a decent wedge of $$$ to stay, and got a three months notice period, and promised that I could get a job with said IT company.

Unfortunately, the contract with the IT company fell through, so my employer started looking for other outsourcing companies.

Yesterday I had a call from our CIO, or whatever the title is today, that we had signed a contract with another contractor, and that almost everyone would have to leave, and that the new company was to be taking over from February.

So anyway, when I said that yeah, sure, I'd continue working for the extra $$$ and the three months notice they also gave me, my boss tore up the resignation letter (with both of us present).

Thus, I hope that my actual continous "time worked" here is not four months, but rather two years

Diablo: so if I don't use any holiday, I get some extra cash at the end? I thought the holidays just went up in smoke

Paul: Hrm, I never was with Carlson, although it was another "son"-name You must unfortunately be thinking of someone else, although if they have any "Unix Administrator" positions in the London area, I'm all ears

Oh well, there is still a glimmer of hope. I'm the only IT guy outside of America, and they are looking to keeping the infrastructure in Europe apparently, which I support, so maybe there's still a chance... Otherwise, they can sit on this:

Trending Topics

Old 26 January 2005, 09:51 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Actually, the only thing that sucks about the whole thing is that my wife doesn't earn enough to support us both out in Watford, so she'll have to give up her job too and we'll have to move to her parents in London or something... oh and the scooby will have to go, I suppose
Old 26 January 2005, 10:40 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
So anyway, when I said that yeah, sure, I'd continue working for the extra $$$ and the three months notice they also gave me, my boss tore up the resignation letter (with both of us present).

Thus, I hope that my actual continous "time worked" here is not four months, but rather two years
Yes, it will be two years under the circumstances you describe so you will be entitled to a redundancy payment as well of at least £280 for each year worked - or more if your employer enhances your redundancy package.

Diablo: so if I don't use any holiday, I get some extra cash at the end? I thought the holidays just went up in smoke
Yes, you will be due whatever your pro rata holiday entitlement will be as at your effective leaving date (expiry of your notice period) less any holidays taken in the current holiday year.

D
Old 26 January 2005, 10:54 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Excellent stuff, I see myself working Monday - Friday every week

Of course, I use the term "working" in the losest possible sense (I am in IT, after all)
Old 27 January 2005, 01:09 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

They have to give you reasonable paid time off to find other employment. I found that most interviews happened on Monday mornings and from lunchtime Thursday all through Friday
Old 27 January 2005, 08:31 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Hehe, I like the sound of that

... and I think I will need extended coffee and lunch breaks due to stress too...
Old 27 January 2005, 08:43 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Live in Watford ?, Unix S/A (Which platform ? Im solaris) ?, on London's doorstep ?? Why dont you go contracting ?? Ive been contracting for over 8 years as a Solaris S/A, loads of jobs in the city. This should show you that the permy way of life is terrible, and contracting is the why to go.

Outsourcing ! Amazing, every 3 /5 years this comes around, then companys go back to providing thier own IT support. Load of bollox.

www.jobserve.co.uk look for contracts !

SBK
Old 27 January 2005, 09:57 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah, live in Watford for now, but will probably relocate to SE London soon again if I can't find a job quick

I do mostly Solaris and Linux, even though I work daily on Dynix boxes too... One little glimmer of hope is that I teach unix administration at Westminster University now, so hopefully some nice employer will snap me up for that

Is getting a contract like getting a normal job? As in, do you go for interviews etc?