Having a lodger - insurance and contract Qs

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2005, 07:22 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a lodger - insurance and contract Qs

Hi All

I'm lucky enough to have my own pad as my uni accomodation but need a new lodger for the 2nd bedroom so their rent will help with the mortgage (and car modding funds ). My previous lodger was a mate I knew and trusted so I didn't need a contract or to worry about the telly going missing; unfortunately I don't know anyone who needs a place until the summer and I need someone sooner than that. So...

I'm almost certain my home contents insurance wouldn't cover me for theft of my stuff by someone I'd given a set of keys to! I expect Endsleigh type insurance for students in tranditional shared houses would cover this though. Anyone know if there's some sort of policy I can get to cover me? Strictly speaking my mortgage says all occupants should be family/cohabitors (we're all distant cousins at the end of the day, surely..! ) so I'm reluctant to approach my insurers (same co as mortage) about it.

I will ask for a £400 deposit which is a lot by student standards but hardly covers the TV, hifi, PC, etc; not to mention the scoob as I leave the keys at home when I'm out and not using it - though it has security devices that mean I'm not too nervous about that.

Second question is how do I get hold of a suitable contract (thou shall pay for what you break, etc)? Do I need a solicitor to write one from scratch? £ for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ben
Old 19 January 2005, 07:35 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

PM me your email.... I have a tenancy agreement based on when I was a "live in" landlord that may be of use. This was several years ago so it would be a good idea to have a legal mind check it over but it's based on the landlord living in the premises and renting rooms.
Old 19 January 2005, 08:02 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

About 15 years ago, I rented out my spare bedroom. I told the insurance company and the building society and there were no major problems. The insurers just added a theft clause about "not paying out for theft unless there is visible sign of forrced entry to the property". The building society were fine as I was living on the premises and had been for a couple of years by this time so it wasn't a "buy to let". I guess that as interest rates then were on the high side and were rising, they preferred to allow me to have a lodger than for them to repossess the flat.

You don't need a solicitor to do a contract, but if you do one yourself it may not be watertight (should it all end in tears). A Google for "lodger contract wording" came up with this so that may give you a start.

I did my own contract stating things like the monthly rent, when this was due, when it could be reviewed, breakages being recoverable from the deposit, excessive noise/nuisance being a reason for eviction, one month's notice (or rent in lieu from him) being required from him to terminate the agreement although I retain the right to throw him out at any time if excessive nuisance is caused. Don't know how any of this would have stood up in court, but it showed the standards I was looking for.

Employers'/bank/previous landlords' references are nice to have but don't really mean much and I don't think you have any comeback. If someone can't/won't produce references then alarm bells should start ringing.

Anyway, I ended up renting the room to this guy. All I can say is that his "activities" started a few years after he moved out and that he paid his rent on time.
Old 19 January 2005, 08:06 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Good job you didn't p1ss him off in any way!!!
Old 19 January 2005, 09:48 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Hi All

I'm lucky enough to have my own pad as my uni accomodation but need a new lodger for the 2nd bedroom so their rent will help with the mortgage (and car modding funds ). My previous lodger was a mate I knew and trusted so I didn't need a contract or to worry about the telly going missing; unfortunately I don't know anyone who needs a place until the summer and I need someone sooner than that. So...

I'm almost certain my home contents insurance wouldn't cover me for theft of my stuff by someone I'd given a set of keys to! I expect Endsleigh type insurance for students in tranditional shared houses would cover this though. Anyone know if there's some sort of policy I can get to cover me? Strictly speaking my mortgage says all occupants should be family/cohabitors (we're all distant cousins at the end of the day, surely..! ) so I'm reluctant to approach my insurers (same co as mortage) about it.

I will ask for a £400 deposit which is a lot by student standards but hardly covers the TV, hifi, PC, etc; not to mention the scoob as I leave the keys at home when I'm out and not using it - though it has security devices that mean I'm not too nervous about that.

Second question is how do I get hold of a suitable contract (thou shall pay for what you break, etc)? Do I need a solicitor to write one from scratch? £ for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ben
Did you get the email???
Old 20 January 2005, 05:14 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

I did, thanks AJM. With a bit of adaptation I think that will be spot on, many thanks again.

Good story Douglas, perhaps a lucky escape too Thanks for your advice too.