Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question for Milo....Protein.

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2005, 12:49 PM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Question for Milo....Protein.

Just a quick question, dont know if you remember but I recently changed my diet around my gym workouts, I take the whey Protein post workout but this falls around midday where I have been having 2 x chicken breasts for lunch, can I take to much protein??....

Ta mate
Old 13 January 2005, 01:21 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

theres a limit to the amount of protein that your body can use, but its nowhere near as low as the mythical figures that many nutritionalists quote.

an excess of protein and your body will either waste it, or will convert it to glucose (especially in the absense of carbs)... the body cannot store aminos for use later on. this is why you need to split your protein up throughout the day.

post-workout, your body's first priority is to replenish glycogen stores. so in absense of carbs pwo, and your body will most likely convert the protein you're taking in to glucose, which is not desirable. instead, you want to take in dextrose as well as the protein post-workout.. allowing your body to replenish glycogen stores from the dextrose, and use the protein for what you're really taking it in for (building muscle).

there is no harm in taking in whey and chicken post-workout, as long as you're getting your carbs in there too, and as long as you're getting plenty of protein every 2-3 hours also.

a more realistic protocol that i would advise, assuming a 200lb individual would be something like this:
1-2 hours pre-workout: low gi carbs and real food protein
immediately post workout: 80g dextrose (or 40/40 dextrose/malto), 40g carbs
an hour or so later: low gi carbs and real food protein

effectively you've got around a 2 hour window post-workout where your body can ultilize huge amounts of protein (assuming a decent workout) - far more than normal - and will make excellent use of carbs. use this wisely
Old 13 January 2005, 01:32 PM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Cool Thanks Milo...what is a GI carb?

Ta
Old 13 January 2005, 01:41 PM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Post Actually thinking about it!!!

I need to buy some more whey protein, am I better off buying an all in one supplement, like Maximuscle cyclone, which would cover my over need pwo?...or can you recommend another all in one....Ta
Old 13 January 2005, 01:41 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

gi of carbs is a measure of the speed your body converts the carb to glucose in order to use it. in a roundabout way its a measure of the insulin spike associated with eating that food.

low gi carbs provide a slow release stream of energy from the carbs. these are generally unprocessed complex carbs, such as oats, barley etc.

higher gi carbs provide a much faster release of energy but are shorter-term. these tend to be simple sugars (there are exceptions of course).

this is the reason why, when you eat a bowl of oats, you're not hungry again 10 minutes later (steady stream of energy), whereas if you eat some candy, you're hungry again very soon after (energy hit more intense but very short-term).

what you consume with the carb, and how you cook it, can affect the gi.
Old 13 January 2005, 01:43 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glycemic index. measure of how carb is absorbed in the body and effect on your blood sugar levels.

high gi will raise blood sugar quickly
Old 13 January 2005, 01:45 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SeanT
I need to buy some more whey protein, am I better off buying an all in one supplement, like Maximuscle cyclone, which would cover my over need pwo?...or can you recommend another all in one....Ta
no, buy them seperately. you can then control exactly what you're doing.

cyclone has the wrong macronutrient levels in my opinion for post-workout. additionally it contains fats. taking fats immediately post-workout is not a good idea, as it lowers the overall gi of what you're consuming (and pwo you want gi to be as high as possible to get the insulin spike).

also most "all-in-one" products contain things that should be cycled (for instance creatine).

buy seperate then you're in control.
Old 13 January 2005, 01:47 PM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Default Good man...Thanks for the Advice.