Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2005, 07:56 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Angry Orange, may as well talk to a brick wall

So i upgraded and bought a P910i phone.

It apeared to have a fault where the full screen doesnt activate straight away, there is a 10 second delay from fliping down the screen to it becoming active.

After a couple of weeks this starts to bug me, you look a numptie waiting 10 seconds to use the phone aplications, doesnt sound a lot of time but it gets to be iritating.

So i ask a few people is this normal, plus post on a dedicated phone BBS to ask is this normal, and am told it shouldnt do that.

Next i update the software on the phone just to double check its not an old software bug, that makes no diference, so its time to log a call with Orange and get the faulty phone replaced.

Called their suport and got through to someone after 15 minutes on hold. She asked me for the phone id number to run a test, i said no need, its a mechanical problem with the phone and any test you run wont show the problem. She insisted i give the number and gave me the code to use to get that. I couldnt get that to come up on the display, she insisted i give the number, then put the phone down!

I called again, on hold 18 minutes this time. Got a guy, gave him the number and he ran his test and said there was no fault. No **** sherlock, it accepts calls just the flip front is slow working due to a faulty switch.
He says sorry, it's not faulty acording to our tests so you cant have a replacement.

I ask for a supervisor as you dont understand the problem. I get put on hold then get his supervisor. Go through the same conversation, she says the same thing.

I am getting a bit pissed off at this point because they are being stupid. She goes and checks with her techy team who tell her it's a software issue with the phone being slow. I tell her i have the latest software, thats not the problem, i have compared it to other P910's and they dont do this. She then says acording to our tests it not faulty.

I explain again its a physical fault on the phone and you should replace faulty goods under waranty, she says the phone can take calls, so as far as we are concerned its not faulty. I explain how its not just a phone, its got other functions such as a PDA and its not working properly. She says it is acording to us, if it takes calls their isnt a fault, and refuses to replace it.

I am told to go away and deal with sony ericsson direct as its not their problem.

Is this acceptable? i dont think so! Sony Ericsson support are shut, they work normal working hours.
Old 12 January 2005, 08:00 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be time for it to develop a "secondary" fault!
Old 12 January 2005, 08:02 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

accidental damage insurance replacement it is then............
Im sure you can think of something suitable
Old 12 January 2005, 08:03 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the wonderful world of Orange, as influenced by France Telecom John Customer service always used to be a strong point for Orange - they were miles better than any other supplier when I first had a phone with them. Now, it has gone right down hill. I see it aswell on their corporate side (and it's infecting us too). In answer to your question - no I don't think it is acceptable. They've supplied equipment to provide a service and it doesn't work properly. They should sort it out.

Chris
Old 12 January 2005, 08:04 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

no, why should the insurance company pay for faulty goods under waranty? Maybe you dont care but i do, it costs us all in the longrun.
Old 12 January 2005, 08:07 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i asked for the contact to complain to about this Chris. They had no number and no email, i have to send a letter FFS!

I guess i'll have to call Sony Ericsson now and see if they will replace their goods, even though i purchased via Orange.
Old 12 January 2005, 08:10 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Maybe you and Pete can get together to mount a class action!

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=391355
Old 12 January 2005, 08:25 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

oh great. I bought mine from the orange upgrades (disconects actually, they matched the O2 tariff so i kept with them) dept on the phone, not from a shop.
Old 12 January 2005, 08:34 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

So it now apears to be a common fault FFS! Just had this reply on the phone BBS.

Yep, that's Orange support for ya .....

Just take the phone apart, remove the motherboard and drop a very small amoount of oil in the button assy.

Leave it overnight, assemble it again in the morning and it will be OK.

Quite a common thing, it happened on my P800 as well ....
Old 12 January 2005, 08:39 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Dont you just hate this sort of treatment .........makes me so mad
Old 12 January 2005, 08:42 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Does my head in speaking to idiots who cant deal with a problem that doesnt match their "checklist/test procedure". There seems to be no common sense in these big companies.
Old 12 January 2005, 08:45 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Mate ........... it dont matter how many degree's GCSE's or whatever the hell they do now you have, if you havent got common sense you havent got nothing. Shame they cant teach it at school
Old 12 January 2005, 08:50 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

They probably could teach it at school if they tried, i think their should be a GCSE in common sense and life skills. Wouldnt show well on the stats though i bet.
Old 12 January 2005, 08:53 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I have interviewed numerous people for jobs in the past with degrees and equivilent. I would say that 9 times out of 10 I would rather employ an ex welder / fitter who has worked his way up because he has a bit of savvy about him.......A bit off topic I know but the country is now degree mad and it gets my goat.
Old 12 January 2005, 09:15 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i know, i had exactly the same thing when i was recruiting IT staff to work for me, i was lucky and found 1 out of the 3 people i ended up taking on who actualy knew their job and had some sense about whats required to give good service. I must have interviewed 10 times that number who had no idea. It grinds you down dealing with this lack of common sense all the time.

Anyway, back onto the phone. i got this reply when asking how to tackle the problem. Might be handy for others with this thing.

Yes, dead easy. You will need a really small (jewellers) screwdriver.

There are 2 screws at the bottom below the battery.

There are another 2 hidden behind plastic covers at the top. Just prise the covers off with a pin.

The front then unclips, but be careful because the screen is not fixed and the cable can sever.

The motherboard and screen then pop out and you get access to the back of the pin assy. Just pop some oil in and leave it for a while.

Hopefully that's you sorted.

P.S. Orange are ****e, I had the same issues and it got passed between Orange, SE and Celesticrap until I was REALLY pissed off. Never send your phone to Celestica - they will make it up with other people's bits and send an inferior one back ....... in about 6 weeks if you're lucky
Old 12 January 2005, 09:41 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...hreadid=353797