Help on Importing a Damaged Car

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2005, 03:35 PM
wheeler_dealer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on Importing a Damaged Car

Hi everybody,
I've been looking into importing a car into the Uk which is damaged from outside the EU.

Can people help on what I have to do to get through Customs and Excise.

Does anybody know what sort of percentage of the value of car I will have to pay on import duty and tax ??

Many thanks,

WD
Old 12 January 2005, 05:58 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you Id be more worried about the stevadoring charges; most shippers will not move non-rollers under any circumstances now and you take a large risk with a rolling car as theyll drive it if they can.

With regard to customs; assuming the car is from Japan you will pay 10% Import Duty on the cost of the car; carriage and ALL Japan-side costs with VAT at 17.5% payable on the total. Your best bet is using a 20ft. container as the container terminal handling fee / shipping cost will be less than the cost of RO-RO.

Id expect to pay about £65, total, to clear one car and a good clearing agent will do a number of cars for that, say five with a small admin fee for each car over that number. Id recommend Penguin. Considering that shipping will account for a high percentage of your overall costs Id consider buying a second car too as this will come in cost free (it'll need careful packing into the container though...)

Simon