jerry springer opera controversy

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2005, 09:08 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jerry springer opera controversy

as u know a few weeks back everyone was on the backs of the sikhs who tried to ban the show that offended their religion and its happened to muslims so many times

and last few days its happened to the christians, those christians are right to try to stop the show, its offensive to jesus christ a messiah to the christians and muslims and its sad bbc didnt take it off, robert kilroy silk got fired but they couldnt ban the show that offended the christians as well, i think its hypocrisy and very sick indeed, anything that offends the religions and blasphemes about it, should be punished

if their is a law to protect others same should be for the christians too, where was the pc brigade when the christians were complaining , first with this becks and posh nativity scene and now this.

bbc should have def taken it off
Old 08 January 2005, 09:14 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

well done the BBC.
Old 08 January 2005, 09:20 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Load of bollox so far. Think I'll watch something interesting instead...

UB
Old 08 January 2005, 10:00 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I've just watched some of the clips in the warm up and remembered why opera bores me to tears. I'm not wasting my time watching this crap.
Old 08 January 2005, 10:02 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starting NOW!!

Be bored rigid or watch to moan about it

Pete
Old 08 January 2005, 10:09 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

This is a difficult one to call because I haven't seen the opera and so I certainly can't comment on the specific content.

It is also difficult to determine where you draw the line when it comes to addressing matters of religion in the media. If, for example, there was to be a discussion programme where one contributor asserted that he didn't believe in the bible would it be reasonable to decide that the programme could not be broadcast? Perhaps in that case you might argue that it was useful to debate the issue. In that case it might also be said that it is useful to address issues of religion in the arts as well.

In this specific case I am led to believe that the programme material may raise questions about Christianity. However, tomorrow evening the BBC will broadcast "Songs of Praise" which will, with the use of music, support Christianity. It could, therefore, be said that the BBC are offering "balance" and that those unhappy with the opera tonight need not watch it just as those with no interest in religion need not watch "Songs of Praise."

In truth this could be a win-win situation for everyone if they were merely to ignore things they did not wish to view. It also raises questions of censorship and where you draw the line and again this is a huge subject that society could, at best, be said to find difficult and that is unlikely to be resolved on an internet message board.

What I will say is that modern opera on BBC2 on a Sunday night is probably lucky to get 100,000 viewers. I wonder how many tuned in for the show this evening? I bet it was a lot more than the average for this genre of programme. Some percentage of those people will go away with a positive view of a musical genre of which they had no previous experience and that, regardless of the message in the programme, can only be a good thing.

On balance I think that representing this diversity is exactly what the BBC exists to do and I believe that everyone should support them in doing it. What we need to consider is that if we ban them broadcasting the opinion of someone else how long before they also ban broadcasting your opinion? How long before we have 100 channels of politically correct TV that toes the government line?

When the BBC do something you like support them, when they do something you hate support them even more because someone out there likes it and appreciates your support for their diversity.
Old 08 January 2005, 10:18 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Moses - if you religious types (nuts/freaks/fanatics/enter whatever you like here...) dont like it then dont watch it and you wont get offended.

Are you saying that everyone has to keep you people who *DO* believe in religion happy

Get a life and worry about things that do matter in the world rather than bloody tv programmes, FFS!
Old 08 January 2005, 10:20 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Scooby 96...your attitude sounds very extreme/fanatical.................
Old 08 January 2005, 10:22 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby96
Moses - if you religious types (nuts/freaks/fanatics/enter whatever you like here...) dont like it then dont watch it and you wont get offended.

Are you saying that everyone has to keep you people who *DO* believe in religion happy

Get a life and worry about things that do matter in the world rather than bloody tv programmes, FFS!
What he says

If you don't like don't fooking watch it simple, or have you lost the will to turn the TV over FFS
Old 08 January 2005, 10:25 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
those christians are right to try to stop the show
No... they are wrong to try and stipulate that, for exactly the same reason I was ranting and raving about the sikhs!
Old 08 January 2005, 10:25 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

calling jesus gay has nothing to do with religion, its a blasphemy and an evil thing to do and its the fanatics who go out and offend religions, we aint fanatics all coz we defend it

i agree with freedom of speech but offending a prophet a messiah or your mum or your wife or daughter aint freedom of speech

i dont think u will be happy if i called your lady a ***** wont u, is that not freedom of speech, no it isnt, its offensive, u will wanna rip my head off if i called u a ******* child wont u
Old 08 January 2005, 10:29 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
calling jesus gay has nothing to do with religion, its a blasphemy and an evil thing to do and its the fanatics who go out and offend religions, we aint fanatics all coz we defend it

i agree with freedom of speech but offending a prophet a messiah or your mum or your wife or daughter aint freedom of speech

i dont think u will be happy if i called your lady a ***** wont u, is that not freedom of speech, no it isnt, its offensive, u will wanna rip my head off if i called u a ******* child wont u
No because I was taught "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me"

You can also chose to listen to something or not dont you !!
Old 08 January 2005, 10:29 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Sorry Moses, but what evidence do we have to contradict the assertion that Jesus was gay ?

Surely it is only blasphemous if it is untrue ?
Old 08 January 2005, 10:30 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's getting better...

Jesus was a black man who ain't got no mama, wasn't he??
Old 08 January 2005, 10:31 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
It's getting better...

Jesus was a black man who ain't got no mama, wasn't he??
Now that did make me laugh
Old 08 January 2005, 10:32 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Jesus hunted and fished Huxley!
Old 08 January 2005, 10:32 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

So far it's.....
Old 08 January 2005, 10:33 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Jesus hunted and fished Huxley!
A bit better than your hunting then ajm
Old 08 January 2005, 10:35 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Huxley
A bit better than your hunting then ajm
Why's that then? He figured out how to divide a fox up betwen 5,000?
Old 08 January 2005, 10:36 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Why's that then? He figured out how to divide a fox up betwen 5,000?
What's that 5000 tosspots on horse back
Old 08 January 2005, 10:39 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Ayup there into S&M at the mo, all this smacking gets funnier (sp)
Old 08 January 2005, 10:48 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

No because I was taught "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me"
Aside from all the controversy about Jerry Springer this saying is a load of old cods, of course words hurt.

Oh and eventhough I said I wouldn't watch this guff I've watched the first 15 mins. A schoolkid could have written this ****e. The audience seems to laugh most when someone uses a swear word. It seems that the bad language in an operatic style is all that is 'funny'.
Old 08 January 2005, 10:49 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I like the music. It's like a Frank Zappa album.

apart from from the Lloyd Webber bits
Old 08 January 2005, 10:52 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

huxley

sticks and stones will break your bones my friend and names will def hurt u emotionally and mentally

ask your child how it feels when he or she gets bullied at school or how arguements with your partner hurts alot when they go below the belt and call u something u aint just out of anger, it aint good, or your neighbours not hurting u physically but mentally f****ing u over with abuse and scaring your kids and lady, trust me names do hurt
Old 08 January 2005, 10:57 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

But surely the point is - you can choose not to listen when its on TV -exercise your power of the big remote and turn it off - Words you dont hear surely cant hurt.

I am pleased the BBC has shown it - I am equally pleased I've been permitted to exercise my personal free choice and not watch anything that was so clearly a great pile of stinking ****e ;
Old 08 January 2005, 10:59 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gsm1
Aside from all the controversy about Jerry Springer this saying is a load of old cods, of course words hurt.

Oh and eventhough I said I wouldn't watch this guff I've watched the first 15 mins. A schoolkid could have written this ****e. The audience seems to laugh most when someone uses a swear word. It seems that the bad language in an operatic style is all that is 'funny'.
You on drugs

"of course words hurt " No I don't think so, I chose no to take in some of the things that people say as it's only words, I have been called a lot of things in my time ay ajm but hey I don't lose any sleep over it at all, because it doesn't worry me as they are only words ffs

Get a grip if you don't like don't watch it if you think it might offend you, like sex and violence on TV if you don't like then don't watch, as you say freedom of speech and to watch something else !
Old 08 January 2005, 11:04 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

first of all hux is it u the guy who used to use the cheetah icon a few yrs back at chat

just recognised

and mrs huxley as well, hows u mate, been ages i think 2 yrs since we last spoke
Old 08 January 2005, 11:11 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I have been called a lot of things in my time ay ajm
errr... on a technicality I only called you one name by my recollection, and that was "peasant" in direct response to you calling me "toff"

I disregarded your attempts to post up the fake WHOIS details on my domain I left you as a goodwill gesture!

I have also called moses a "nutter" in the past, but I retracted that publically on here at the time because he convinced me he is a decent person and a loving father.....albeit a little too enthusiastic about religion at times....

So less of the [(name calling)name calling]!

Old 08 January 2005, 11:12 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Moses as I said if someone calls me a whanker or toss pot it won't be the first time nor the last but it's life, they might be true they might not but I'm not losing any sleep over it as I said before it's only words to me

If there is somthing on TV that I don't like it's simple I don't watch it, as I have god knows how many more programs to watch it's not as if i'm tied to a chair and forced to watch it am I
Old 08 January 2005, 11:15 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
errr... on a technicality I only called you one name by my recollection, and that was "peasant" in direct response to you calling me "toff"

I disregarded your attempts to post up the fake WHOIS details on my domain I left you as a goodwill gesture!

I have also called moses a "nutter" in the past, but I retracted that publically on here at the time because he convinced me he is a decent person and a loving father.....albeit a little too enthusiastic about religion at times....

So less of the [(name calling)name calling]!

I shal go to my corner and sulk now as I thought that being called a peasant was a complement

Toff

Quick Reply: jerry springer opera controversy