Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Long Way Round (TV Series Sky One)

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2005, 09:03 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Way Round (TV Series Sky One)

Watched a few episodes on sky but missed the rest. The mrs got me the DVD for Xmas (cheers) and weve watched all 7 episodes last night and tonight. Really original and interesting series which we both found gripping and truly enjoyed.

When I first saw the trailer I was like yeah - movie star on a bike travelling across the world - wow! But after the first episode I was hooked. So nice to see such a unique insight into ao many different cultures.

Just bought the book today in the sales as read a few pages and a lot of stuff early on that isnt in the series. Should be a good read.

Anyone else enjoy this program.

Simon.

P.S. I must admit to liking Ewan Mcgregor a lot more now - seems a down to earth chap.
Old 08 January 2005, 11:33 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

yeah - posh hotels all through america - what a traveller! Try a series called Mondo Enduro for the "real" way to do it.......
Old 08 January 2005, 11:51 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Well I enjoyed it too. The USA bit was a bit lame but that was only one episode.

Have thought of getting the book but thought it would be just covering the TV stuff.
May have another look.

Cheers
Lee
Old 09 January 2005, 12:19 AM
andym172
Scooby Regular

I thought it was an excellent series and enjoyed every minute of it

I liked the fact that even when it got tough there wasn't too much moaning - fair enough it was their choice to be there, but it would have been very easy to have a cry to the camera when things weren't going their way.

Agreed, McGregor does appear to be a top bloke.
Old 09 January 2005, 12:36 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the best programme to be on tele this millenium!! no contest, those lorries!!!!! need I say more.....
Old 09 January 2005, 01:52 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Similar lorries by the same manufacturer are currently kicking some serious *** in the Paris-Dakar
Old 09 January 2005, 01:57 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Bollocks real travellers don't need TV budgets behind them when you have to count every penny and check your fuel consumption constantly then that is traveling (another vote for the mondo enduro)
Old 09 January 2005, 08:41 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Bollocks real travellers don't need TV budgets behind them when you have to count every penny and check your fuel consumption constantly then that is traveling (another vote for the mondo enduro)
Do you people not like to be entertained ?
Take it for what it is ! It is a great TV prog. As far as I could see they were real travellers....just so happened to be a millionare and had a TV crew with him so if they had a few luxuries or were treated a little better than most, so what, made it all the better to watch.
All very interesting and entertaining imo.
I will be getting the DVD now that I know there is one.
Old 09 January 2005, 01:18 PM
Dicke C
Scooby Regular

Had the book and DVD for XMAS. Read the book while working nights over New Year and had a day watching the DVD's. One of the best and entertaining programmes that i have watched in a long time. It was good to see them taking the p1ss out of themselves for getting put up in 5* hotels while being as they put it "Hardcore".
There were a few good Star Wars comments as well that made me laugh. They got puller by the Rozzers and Ewan says into his comms eqiupment "These aren't the bikers were looking for, move along" Wife didn't get the joke, but then shes only seen Star Wars once...
Old 09 January 2005, 02:03 PM
R333TER
Scooby Regular

I too found this probably the best thing on the telly for a few years!!! Very enjoyable, I too got the book!
Old 09 January 2005, 02:26 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
yeah - posh hotels all through america - what a traveller! Try a series called Mondo Enduro for the "real" way to do it.......
Did they ever make out they were roughing it? So you a) Only watched the last episode and judged it solely upon that or b) watched most if not all episodes even though it wasnt "proper travelling".

I thought the most dangerous bits were crossing the rivers on the road of bones.

Ah well at least most of us enjoyed it.

Simon.
Old 09 January 2005, 04:10 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

"Bollocks real travellers don't need TV budgets behind them when you have to count every penny and check your fuel consumption constantly then that is traveling (another vote for the mondo enduro)"

Correct me if I'm wrong here Luan Pra bang - You started another thread about the pointlessness of a sedentary lifestyle (here) and how the world is full of opportunity and adventure. This is exactly what these guys have done (and personally, I think they deserved a few decent hotels in the US after what they'd been through!) and you're having a go at them because they did it as part of a TV programme? Double standards??
Old 09 January 2005, 04:51 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

I bought the double dvd from Amazon for £9.96
Old 09 January 2005, 05:36 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Thought both the book and DVD were excellent. I enjoyed both. I didnt buy either to pick holes in them but for entertainment, I was entertained.

Good job we are not all the same. No way could I have done it. But then again we have a bunch of experts on here, I forgot all that. Let us know when you do any thing remotely similar and I will guarantee to buy your book too!
Old 09 January 2005, 07:56 PM
simple plan
Scooby Newbie

i thought it was brill had the dvd for xmas as well.. really good programme would be nice to see more like it on tv..
Old 09 January 2005, 08:04 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Fantastic programme, one of the best on TV for a very long time.

I'd like to see those people here who are moaning about 5* luxury travel try it. Take the Road of Bones. Up to the ***** in freezing cold water, eating goats *********, mosquitos the size of your finger and dropping the bike every 10 yards because the "roads" are so bad.

Once again, fantastic TV, I've got the DVD and will be getting the book.
Old 10 January 2005, 02:33 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Yup, agree wholeheartedly.

Missed it on Sky1, but caught it on Sky travel last week.

One of the best series of programmes I have ever watched. Totally gripping.

Both Ewan & Charlie came over as top blokes, having a once on a lifetime experience.

The USA bit was always going to be tame, after what had gone before.

D
Old 10 January 2005, 02:49 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Quite a good series, and an interesting insight into other cultures.

I still think Ewan is an annoying twit though...
Old 10 January 2005, 03:00 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Excellent series and best TV I have watched in years - really enjoyed it. I liked the bit when he is getting stressed about the KTMs and he realises he cant just expect to get free bikes.

They most definitely were real travellers - yes they had back (but who wouldnt in their right minds) but they were stuck in the middle of nowhere in places like Mongolia where nobody even watched TV let alone know who they were.

...and those trucks !!!! Marvelous.
Old 10 January 2005, 03:13 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Bulls ********* anybody...
Old 10 January 2005, 04:01 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

I too got the DVD and the book for xmas and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the DVD. Currently reading the book.

I wonder if they are going to do any more? It would be great if they did IMO. A bit like Michael Palin's jaunts around the world. Pole to Pole with Ewan and Charley, Ewan and Charley do the Americas
Old 10 January 2005, 04:04 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Haven't watched the DVD yet (although I watched the series) but I've read the book. It gives more insight to the relationship they had, alot more disagreement going on than the show dhowed. A few more hairy incidents which aren't the show too.

Best TV of 2004. Looking forward to the unseen footage on the DVD

Geezer
Old 10 January 2005, 06:44 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

You could pretty much translate my post as sour grapes that currently I am stuck in England trying to establish a way to earn a sustainable wage that will enable me to travel around alot while some Hollywood guy gets to have a part time go at what I want to do. If I was on that trip with him I could have guaranteed more entertainent, more injuries, more trouble, more near death experiences, more having to bribe police to escape prison sentences and more getting mugged and shot at by bandits.

Last edited by Luan Pra bang; 10 January 2005 at 08:26 PM.