Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

cars buying and selling

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2004, 10:10 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cars buying and selling

if you was to sell a car what publication would you use.

i searched on exchange and mart
autotrader
and loot
exm, gives the highest value,
at , are hardly anything for sale,
and loot, are so damn cheap.

has anyone ever done buy-then-sell cars.
for profit, (ie salvage )

am i the only one to think that parkers give fantasy land values on cars,
ie if you did a search on a car for the value, none of the above pub. actually sell for that price , maybe 2-3k lower
Old 30 December 2004, 10:12 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

pistonheads is free and quite good. i do a bit now and then, theres money to be made (and lost)

jamo
Old 30 December 2004, 10:23 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4mou
pistonheads is free and quite good. i do a bit now and then, theres money to be made (and lost)

jamo

whats pistonheads
Old 30 December 2004, 10:27 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

http://www.pistonheads.com

Also try http://www.findit.co.uk
Old 30 December 2004, 11:11 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

I used desperateseller.co.uk
Old 31 December 2004, 08:41 AM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

www.compucars.co.uk (only 2 cars per user)

www.caragent.co.uk

www.adtrader.co.uk (only 2 cars per user)

www.freeads.co.uk

All free and you can add piccys free too!

If paying to advertise I would use the Autotrader but may just use the online facility as it is a lot cheaper and most people search t'internet anyway.

Andy
Old 31 December 2004, 09:42 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i only get results from autotrader

ebay sometimes sells a few but i no longer auction on there merely adverts

ll the free local papers etc very rarely produce acceptable results

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2005, 11:09 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

has anyone ever done buy-then-sell cars.
for profit, (ie salvage )
if the buyer asks why are you selling it,
what good reason do you have
Old 03 January 2005, 11:23 AM
CC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
if the buyer asks why are you selling it,
what good reason do you have
tell the truth maybe ?

it's blatantly obvious to me when someone is trying to make a fast buck...

....just ask them if the logbook is in thier name and address. If it's a NO usually followed by i didn't bother changing it/it's my aunts/brothers/dogs/budgies car then you know they've bought it to sell on.

Lying just puts me off straight away cos what else have they lied about?
Old 03 January 2005, 11:31 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

how would you feel if someone is trying to make a fast buck on you?
would you try to haggle more
Old 03 January 2005, 11:41 AM
CC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
how would you feel if someone is trying to make a fast buck on you?
would you try to haggle more
if they were honest and made it clear they were traders or even someone with a hobby of buying and selling cars, which is what i've done in the past, i'd be fine with it.

if i seen a car at a good price that i liked, i'd buy it, use it for a good while (atleast several months) and enjoy it, do all the necessary logbook changes so it's all legit, and then sell it when i felt like experiencing another car. if i made a couple of quid then great, more often than not i did . i did buy some sh1tters though lol .

if they lied and made out it was a private sale, i'd walk away. but not everyone will spot a trader posing as a private seller.
Old 03 January 2005, 11:42 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Note you may get into the murky area of whether you are a dealer or not. If you become a dealer then you have have much more responsibility for what you sell and you can't just sign a bit of paper saying "sold as seen, etc etc" and pass the buck to the buyer.
Old 03 January 2005, 12:05 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

In the eyes of the law,if you sell more than 4 cars a year,you are considered a car dealer..
About 3 years ago i was taken to court about a 1977 Trans Am i had sold to a guy..basically,he px a vectra TDi(which i gave to my dad)against this Trans Am..he then realised after 3 months it was only doin 9 mpg!!..He took it to a garage that basically slaughtered the car and said it never should have passed an MOT albeit the MOT was 5 months previous at this time..Anyway..trading standards got involved and informed me that i was a dealer because i had in fact sold 5 cars in the previous 12 months..
I suppose i see there view..the facts were that these werent cars that were bought to be sold,just short term ownership..and try and not lose money on them..like has been said,own the car,have the pleasure for a while and then try and move it on for same/more/less money...sometimes ya make a few quid,sometimes ya catch a cold..!!thats the car trade!!

Anyway..i got fined £320 which was the price of the bits that needed doin on the car..i had already offered to have the car repaired to his satisfaction but this fella just wanted his day in court..I thought i would be cheeky and appealed against the £320..which i won and then i was reduced to £180..Result!!!

Parkers and the CAP book i dont think are worth the paper there written on..If you speak to any trader about cars there first cry is"nothin is fetchin book"..
Thats unless there tryin to sell you one of course!!!

if your thinkin of sellin salvage,just make sure ya descriptions are spot on and detailed as this is more of a minefield than sellin a straight one!!!
Old 03 January 2005, 12:17 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I had not a single response in 3 months 'advertise till sold' on Exchange and Mart selling a Range Rover.

I then did a (must say) rather good ad and pics on e-bay and people were throwing cash at me when they came to view!!! Had to let it go for a grand less than the advertised E&M price though as I really needed to shift it by then...

D
Old 03 January 2005, 06:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually do my four a year, keep my eyes peeled for a bargain, buy it, clean it, MOT and flog it, typically taking between 3 and 5 hundred quid after costs. Made about 1800 quid on a Mondeo last year, guy just wanted rid, quick as his new car had arrived, ran it for 3 months and sold it to a trader and made money, however lost the cash again (see below)

Anyway, they collar you for making a few quid, does that mean I will get the tax back on the two grand I spunked on a Fiat Coupe turbo last year ?

If you know what you are doing its a good way to make a few quid, cars are very very cheap at the moment, all the youngsters buy brand new tackle for the free insurance so they keep away from the older stuff, nobody really runs old bangers these days, they dont have to, why put up with an L reg Clio when you can have a brand new one for 99 quid a month ?

Still, takes all sorts and I end up with some odd stuff, and you think no one will ever want it until the punter turns up with their requirements and all becomes clear.

Key thing is to get it really clean, paint the wheels (properly) or fit new trims if the wheels are scabby, fit new number plates if cracked. I can take what looks like a heap and in two days turn it back into a tidy motor without making it look a dogs dinner like the trade do with their shi1te that turns everything shiny, shiny tyres, shiny dash and a shiny engine that goes yellow after a week.

Try lurking at a few local dealerships for part ex's, they dont want them cluttering the place up and by and large the salesmen cant be arsed themselves, though the odd twenty quid here and there helps illicit the best deals.

Just use the Auto Trader, get a digi cam if you havent got one, get it clean and take the photo when there is some sun out, make sure it looks in a nice area, even if your road isnt that nice, take it somewhere with posh cars and confiers and do a few snaps, works wonders, no matter how nice the car is you dont want to go and see it if its on a ropey looking estate, people do clock the background.

I am always very honest, punters are pretty savvy these days so you have to have your patter right, I point out any minor faults myself, do however be prepared to deal with so complete gibbons though, always take a name and phone number of anyone who says they are coming to view, say its in case you need to contact them if something comes up, it is in fact to find out whether they intend to come, makes them ring you if they arent coming as a lot just dont bother, completely ignorant, you wait in all night for them and they dont turn up, so having the number is a big help, you can ring them and say how you waited in and missed your kids nativity play (not in June), never get aggresive but a little guilt goes a long way.