Default creatine, what is it for and what does it doo

cheers
Old 30 December 2004, 07:52 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moses
cheers
It fuels muscle and is widely used by atheletes, footballers, body builders.

It comes in a liquid or powder form and should be taken with carbs after excercise, it has a better uptake within 90 mins.

The only problem it can cause water retention and give your the *****
plus cause dehydration

I used it for some years but it can hammer your kidneys due to the stress
caused by the way it is processed.

If your going to try it make sure you drink at least 3 litres of water a day.
Old 30 December 2004, 07:58 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

thanks bud i will give it a miss then, coz i have only one kidney i was born with one

i went to the health shop to buy some chromium tabs to reduce my chocolate cravings, see since i have been on clen and ephedrine i have been eating more chocs last few days coz i manage to burn it off, well its slowed down the weightloss again

so i had to buy some chromium and the guy mentioned to me about creatine, i dont know what it was, he give me a brief about it, but i didnt have time

cheers bud
Old 30 December 2004, 08:00 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I went to a World Dance rave back in 2001 once where they were selling "Raw Spirit Mix" a vodka based drink with "Taurine and Creatine". It said on the side of the bottle "Contains Stimulants, please exercise caution" so I drank 12 bottles of the stuff.
Jesus it was good. Never found it anywhere else apart from this party. From the way it affected me it was probably cos it was banned. It was the first time I danced non stop all night and it was doubly empasised by the way I felt in the morning.
Highly recommended.
astraboy.
Old 30 December 2004, 08:05 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
I went to a World Dance rave back in 2001 once where they were selling "Raw Spirit Mix" a vodka based drink with "Taurine and Creatine". It said on the side of the bottle "Contains Stimulants, please exercise caution" so I drank 12 bottles of the stuff.
Jesus it was good. Never found it anywhere else apart from this party. From the way it affected me it was probably cos it was banned. It was the first time I danced non stop all night and it was doubly empasised by the way I felt in the morning.
Highly recommended.
astraboy.
But not if you only have one kidney like our friend above.
It puts two under strain let alone one.

Moses - Stay clear bud.
Old 30 December 2004, 08:07 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

will do mate , cheers
Old 30 December 2004, 08:15 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by scoobfan
But not if you only have one kidney like our friend above.
It puts two under strain let alone one.
Good point, I suppose it all depends on whether you treat your body like a temple or like an amusement park.
If you favour the latter, highly recommended
astraboy.

Trending Topics

Old 30 December 2004, 08:36 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

I used it for some years but it can hammer your kidneys due to the stress caused by the way it is processed.
interesting... NUMEROUS studies have been done, and not one has found this to be the case.

bear in mind that creatine is produced INTERNALLY, and is also found in food sources, in particular meats and fish. are you saying that your body routinely endogenously produces something that is bad for you?

its an extremely useful supplement.. one of the few that actually works.

here are some abstracts that find creatine perfectly safe. i can find at least 5-10 others too:

Schilling, B.K., Stone, M.H., Utter, A., Kearney, J.T., Johnson, M., Coglianese, R., Smith, L., O'Bryant, H.S., Fry, A.C., Starks, M., Keith, R., & Stone, M.E. (2001). Creatine supplementation and health variables: a retrospective study. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 33, 183-188
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Poortmans, J.R., & Francaux, M. (2000). Adverse effects of creatine supplementation: fact or fiction? Sports Medicine, 30, 155-170

Mayhew, D.L., Mayhew, J.L., & Ware, J.S. (2002). Effects of long-term creatine supplementation on liver and kidney functions in American college football players. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 12, 453-460
Old 31 December 2004, 12:27 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
interesting... NUMEROUS studies have been done, and not one has found this to be the case.

bear in mind that creatine is produced INTERNALLY, and is also found in food sources, in particular meats and fish. are you saying that your body routinely endogenously produces something that is bad for you?

its an extremely useful supplement.. one of the few that actually works.

here are some abstracts that find creatine perfectly safe. i can find at least 5-10 others too:

Schilling, B.K., Stone, M.H., Utter, A., Kearney, J.T., Johnson, M., Coglianese, R., Smith, L., O'Bryant, H.S., Fry, A.C., Starks, M., Keith, R., & Stone, M.E. (2001). Creatine supplementation and health variables: a retrospective study. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 33, 183-188

Poortmans, J.R., & Francaux, M. (2000). Adverse effects of creatine supplementation: fact or fiction? Sports Medicine, 30, 155-170

Mayhew, D.L., Mayhew, J.L., & Ware, J.S. (2002). Effects of long-term creatine supplementation on liver and kidney functions in American college football players. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 12, 453-460
Chuffinn ell mate, you have far too much time on your hands !!!
Old 31 December 2004, 12:54 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Chuffinn ell mate, you have far too much time on your hands !!!
only to make corrections when inaccurate medical advice is being given... its kinda important to get this stuff right, no?
Old 31 December 2004, 01:53 PM
King RA
BANNED

you certainly are an outspoken one aren't you.

(post I was commenting on has been deleted!!!)

Last edited by King RA; 31 December 2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 31 December 2004, 01:58 PM
ChrisB

Oooo, keyboard rage
Old 31 December 2004, 02:00 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
only to make corrections when inaccurate medical advice is being given... its kinda important to get this stuff right, no?
OK, How it can be inaccurate when i'm talking from personal experiance i don't know, are you saying i'm lying ?

1. It does cause dehydration, hence the requirement to increase water
intake.
2. Creatine does cause water retention as it forces water into the muscle, which
is one of the reasons for increased bodymass (muscle is 99% water)

As for kidney problems - I took Creatine for 4 years during which time i did suffer
lower back ache, i sought advice from my doctor and he said i should cease it's ussage which i did, the back ache went within 1 week !!

So Doctor know it all, there you go.
Old 31 December 2004, 02:01 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Oooo, keyboard rage
You ain't seen nothing yet mate !!
Old 31 December 2004, 02:03 PM
King RA
BANNED

OK, How it can be inaccurate when i'm talking from personal experiance i don't know, are you saying i'm lying ?

1. It does cause dehydration, hence the requirement to increase water
intake.
2. Creatine does cause water retention as it forces water into the muscle, which
is one of the reasons for increased bodymass (muscle is 99% water)

As for kidney problems - I took Creatine for 4 years during which time i did suffer
lower back ache, i sought advice from my doctor and he said i should cease it's ussage which i did, the back ache went within 1 week !!

So Doctor know it all, there you go.
Your supposed to take creatine in stages. If you took it for 4 years solid then it will be doing you no good because this is not how it is done.

You take it for 8 weeks then stop it for 8 weeks. Your either incredibly stupid or lying.
Old 31 December 2004, 02:06 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
you certainly are an outspoken one aren't you.

(post I was commenting on has been deleted!!!)
Yeah must be something to do with the fact that i'm off the Creatine and on the Roids.
Old 31 December 2004, 02:13 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
Your supposed to take creatine in stages. If you took it for 4 years solid then it will be doing you no good because this is not how it is done.

You take it for 8 weeks then stop it for 8 weeks. Your either incredibly stupid or lying.
That's called cycling which i did - So that's the stupid idea gone.

Lying - Why would i do that, i'd have nothing to prove to you or anyone
else, just sharing my experiences.

Creatine reacts to different people in different way's.
Old 31 December 2004, 02:16 PM
King RA
BANNED

So if you WERE cycling and the pain stopped after 1 week of giving up creatine, surely the pain would be stopping every 8 weeks, 1 week after you stop taking creatine.....

2 + 2 = ?
Old 31 December 2004, 02:19 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

milo, since when was facts ever an important issue on SN?

For what it's worth, I was on a creatine and protein supplement for about 8 mths. I never made a great attempt to sort out my notoriously bad diet, but my running and circuit training certainly improved while I was on it.

I was doing more hill running and my endurance appeared to gain the biggest improvement. I could do a long day in the hills (say 5hrs+) and not have to worry about needing 3 days to recover after it. I always take the following day off, but I could get back into circuits or running on the second day without feeling my legs were lead weights.

Never had any negative side effects from using it although it was fairly low quantities and just what was recommended by the manufacturer. No ***** and no kidney complaints.

Like any supplement, it should be used with a decent diet and an existing fitness regime. if you're not disciplined, no quantity of supplements or steroids will sort a weight problem on it's own.

Plus, supplements ain't cheap. Why waste money on some processed chemical when mother nature can provide everything in a healthy diet for the Mr average.

Stefan
Old 31 December 2004, 04:24 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

its hardly surprising when you take it incorrectly.

btw, the lower back ache would likely have been from the water retention. this is extremely common with anything that causes water retention, such as creatine, or to a greater effect dianabol.
Old 31 December 2004, 04:43 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

My mate at work uses this when he is doing his weights. I can tell when he is on it cause he is like a burd at that time of month!
Old 31 December 2004, 04:55 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

(muscle is 99% water)
actually, muscle is somewhere around 72% water
Old 31 December 2004, 04:57 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by coulty
My mate at work uses this when he is doing his weights. I can tell when he is on it cause he is like a burd at that time of month!
you mean he won't put-out for you
Old 31 December 2004, 04:59 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
you mean he won't put-out for you
Trust you ozzy. Didn't know you were the jealous type!

Nah just he is a pain to work with...tends to go off the rails....like most burds!

Old 31 December 2004, 05:10 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 31 December 2004, 05:18 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

get a room you two
Old 31 December 2004, 05:32 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

And Creatine has no side effets hey !!!
Old 31 December 2004, 09:56 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

And Creatine has no side effets hey !!!
so you're taking anecdotal second-hand evidence over proven scientific research now?

we dont know what other substances coulty's mate is on. its entirely possible that he's on steroids - "just creatine and lots of protein mate" is a fairly standard response when someone is on steroids and doesnt want to admit it, particularly to work mates where you could get fired if the company finds out you're on anabolics. its a standard excuse as to why someone's all of a sudden getting so big (im sure you've heard it). being like a woman at "that time of the month" - if he's referring to emotional side effects, then that's highly likely to be due to anabolic use and disuse, and sounds far more like something like clomid during pct. creatine wont touch your hormones, certainly not to that effect. if he's merely referring to water retention - thats not a side effect of creatine - it's a design goal of creatine.

no sir, i think i'll take proven impartial scientific research any day. if you *honestly* think the fda, drug bodies and scientific studies done around the world have got this wrong (heck, they've been known to make mistakes), you'd better let them know.
Old 31 December 2004, 10:31 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i had a work mate in my last job who was on the stuff as well

whenever he had sum he turned into a total arsehole
it was pretty noticable when he was, and wasnt useing the stuff, he was just running around shouting and genrally being a unfunny ********, so we told him, and it had no effect lol
Old 31 December 2004, 11:34 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

so is it the case that you MUST cycle creatine usage?
how many weeks per cycle if so?
1 week loading/ 3 weeks maintainance??