Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

David Lynch - Lost Highway

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2004, 07:35 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool David Lynch - Lost Highway

Havn't seen it for a few years then got the DVD for Christmas... truly excellent film!

One of the best road rage scenes EVER, and classic Lynch at its best. (for those with the intellectual capacity )

Any other Lynch fans? (tiggers, stand up and be counted! )

We've met before..... in your house. Don't you remember?... As a matter of fact I am there right now!
Old 29 December 2004, 07:36 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I saw this on filmfour a few years ago, bit confusing when the charector changed in prison lol! Bill Pullman wasnt it.
Old 29 December 2004, 07:38 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

Great film, just need to watch it in the way that Lynch intended - without trying to figure out hidden meanings, just take your own meanings and conclusions without analysing it to death.

First time i saw it, i had my TV on full belt trying to hear what was being said, second time i watched it i realised that you only hear what you need to and the rest is irelevant ('scuse the spelling)

good film though
Old 29 December 2004, 07:39 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
I saw this on filmfour a few years ago, bit confusing when the charector changed in prison lol! Bill Pullman wasnt it.
Yep that's the one, along with Patricia Arquette , Balthazar Getty, Gary Busey and Robert Loggia

Robert Blake, who played the "mystery man" (pic above) is apparently currently being tried for shooting his wife!
Old 29 December 2004, 07:45 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little_idiot
Great film, just need to watch it in the way that Lynch intended - without trying to figure out hidden meanings, just take your own meanings and conclusions without analysing it to death.

First time i saw it, i had my TV on full belt trying to hear what was being said, second time i watched it i realised that you only hear what you need to and the rest is irelevant ('scuse the spelling)

good film though
Yeah, if you try and find a rational solution to the story you will not find it. Lost Highway is essentially about a man's split personality. "I don't like video cameras - I prefer to remember things my own way" etc...

Mullholland Drive has a similar "feature" now I come to think of it

The musical score is also excellent. I've got to find "David Bowie - I'm Deranged" to add to my driving collection!
Old 29 December 2004, 07:50 PM
Manda_po
BANNED

Not seen this one, but i do like David Lynch generally.
Old 29 December 2004, 07:53 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Speaking of David Lynch, whats the deal with Eraserhead Wild At Hearts a good film, and The Straight Story is surprisingly normal and laid back for a Lynch film!
Old 29 December 2004, 07:58 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Speaking of David Lynch, whats the deal with Eraserhead Wild At Hearts a good film, and The Straight Story is surprisingly normal and laid back for a Lynch film!
I'd love to be able to explain Eraserhead to you, every time I watch it I am left sitting there dumbfounded!

The best I can come up with is that it's an exercise in atmosphere.... he manages to create almost unbearable tension with all the oppressive backgrounds sounds, the lighting etc.

Probably better asking a geek on a Lynch site to be honest!... or the man himself.... but I don't think even he can explain it to other people sometimes!
Old 29 December 2004, 08:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Lost Highway introduced me to Rammstein and for that I am forever grateful!!

Shouldn't be surprised; david Lynch always had a great ear for the atmospheric music! :-)
Old 29 December 2004, 11:29 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Yeah, Lost Highway is usually ignored when David Lynch films are discussed which is a pity as it's a great film although maybe it doesn't have quite the intellectual clout of some of his earlier work leaving it up to you, the viewer, to draw what you want from it.

Agree with you entirely about Eraserhead - still utterly watchable even after all this time.

By the way useless trivia fact here - Pink Floyd insist that Eraserhead was a major influence for parts of their film The Wall. I think I can see that

Don't forget that David Lynch also directed The Elephant Man, a fact that having just watched Blue Velvet/Eraserhead usually staggers most people. He is an extremely versatile and talented film maker - pity more people can't tear themselves away from the action blockbuster crap and indulge themselves in what is altogether another level of movie making.

Regards,

tiggers.